Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My first Montana Spring Bear hunt

I make oil

Like most of the guys on this site the Mountains of the west draw me like a moth to a flame. Hopefully without similar results to Mr. Moth. I live in South Central Louisiana which is about as far away from the Rockies as you can go and still remain in the U.S. What do I know about hunting in mountains? Not much lol.

I've always dreamed of experiencing a real back country hunt. Something like I've read about. Hunting in a place that is as wild as it was when the country was young. That has been my dream. But kids, work and life have always had other plans for me. Now my planets have aligned my kids are all nearly grown and my career is in a place where I can begin to make my dreams come true. Due to my lack of experience I decided my first hunts will be with a guide. Hopefully, this will shorten my learning curve.

2015 will be the year I begin to make my dreams come true. The first season I can hunt will be Spring Bear. In my online research I found an Outfitter in Montana who specializes in horseback hunts into the Bob Marshall wilderness Swan Mountain Outfitters. I performed as much due diligence I can about them and have spoke to many of their previous hunters. Confident that they will fit my expectations I have booked the for a hunt the last week of May.

Now my preparations begin. I'm in pretty good shape. Not mountain hunting shape but I'm working towards it. I plan on using my SS Browning Xbolt in 30/06. I have a Ziess Conquest on the rifle and I shoot it pretty well. I don't often get to shoot past 100 yards in the deer hunting I do but will begin practicing out to longer ranges before I leave in May.

Any recommendations from the site on gear I will need? What preparations should I do? Anyone know anything about Swan Mountain Outfitters? I'm excited and starting this thread helps to heighten my level of anticipation.:D

Your story sounds alot like mine. Now that my kids are grown, finances in order, I was able to go on that dream hunt this past Sept to Montana for elk. I was fortunate to be able to go with a local guy from NC that had made the trip 20 times before. This was a DIY public land archery hunt. I too prepared physically for the hunt, working out and running daily, which did make a huge difference, but the altitude may be your biggest hurdle, but there isn't much you can do to prepare for that. It took me 3 days to acclimate to the thin air. I was glad that I just happened to take chap stick from breathing hard which caused dry lips.
Word of caution, if you go, plan on going back. My "I only want to go once" hunt turned into another hunt planned for this year. ;)

I hunted the Swans last May for bears. We camped off a logging road near the boundary of the Bob. We were going to hike into the Wilderness area, but there was still heavy snowpack at around 6500', so we didn't ever actually get into it. If you are going with a guide, I'm sure they probably have multiple spots for different snowpack conditions.

Even though we were in an area with lots of roads not too far from town, we didn't see another bear hunter all week. Several locals were out on the warm days cutting wood or pleasure driving; most of them stopped to talk and shoot the breeze. Some even gave us pointers on where to look for bears. I have done quite a bit of traveling, and the people around Seeley Lake were the friendliest I've ever encountered. Rovero's gas station in Seeley Lake makes a mean "burger bundle" sandwich also.

We saw only 1 bear while we were there, a beautiful chocolate at about 250 yards (my outer range). He never did give me an ethical shot though, so no shots were fired.

Here's the thread from my hunt, if you're interested..

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=259165

Good luck on your hunt!

I have never delt directly with them, but a good friend of mine is a packer for that outfit, and he always speaks highly of them. a good set of rain gear is always a must during the spring in Mt, and don't overlook the possibility of snow as well. also, find out is a good quality scabbard is provided, or if you need to bring your own. An enclosed scabbard will protect your rifle well, and prevent your scope from being knocked out of alignment. I hunt/pack off of horses every year, so if you have any questions reguarding them, I would be happy to try and answer them.

For that part of MT, make sure you have a good rain jacket.

Also, if you don't ride regularly, look for a small pad to stick between your rear and the saddle. You'll be less sore. Emphasis on the "less"

Spring bear is probably the best way to experience your first western hunt. Usually good weather and lots of game moving about in search or green grass.
1.Good binoculars are almost as important as your rifle. You'll do this again. Get the best 10x40's you budget will allow. Thank me later. :)
2.Rangefinder, or confirm that your guide will carry one. I'm constantly amazed at how far off I am sometimes when estimating distance. Now, if it's over about 100 yards I want a range on it.
3. Gaiters. You'll be walking in snow and crossing creeks. Nothing like a boot full of rotten snow when you posthole up a snow bank.
4. Some kind of butt cushion to sit on when glassing. Just enough to keep you dry and comfortable.
5. Hiking pole or poles. The ground will be wet. Wet ground means wet sticks and rocks. Just remember I told you so when you disregard my advice and are laying on your backside after you step on a stick that takes your feet out from under you. :) I've learned the hard way.
6. Camera. Usually there's plenty of time for lots of pictures. Take lots.
7. Don't forget your bear tag. :)
8. Toy excavator. We're not allowed to bait in Montana, but sometimes the bears like to play with kid's toys. Your outfitter might not want to pack this on your horse so this is optional
9. "Bear the Decoy" outfit. Randy11 is currently the official Hunttalk model for this outfit. He also models a seductive "Scapegoat Nanny" mountain goat hat. Currently batting 1.000 for his hunting partner and his own success. Check with him for available dates.
10. This is seriously the most important part. Use a tick repellant that contains permathrin on clothes. My wife contracted Lymes disease from a tick bite here in Montana. It's not been easy for her the past four years. Permathrin works. Follow the directions on the can. Most sporting goods stores sell tick repellent.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 947
  • Montana Spring 2014 197.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 197.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 984
  • Montana Spring 2014 273.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 273.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 958
Excellent advice. Thank you very much guy's. .280 Remington, I have spent a lot of time around horses but don't ride as often as I used to and no longer own one. I know spending lots of time on one is going to be the most ''painful'' part of the trip. I am planning on wearing compression or bike shorts under my pants. I hope that helps.

LCH that was an excellent thread. I hope my hunt is as rewarding.

My wife bought me a pair of 10X Vortex Vulture binos this year for our anniversary. I plan on bringing those. Should I look at a spotting scope?

What is the best rain gear that others use? Mthuntifool what scabbard do you recommend?

Gerald that is an excellent write up. I don't know about packing a toy excavator. I'm flying up and will have a ton of gear. Is there a good source for these in Montana? ;-) I'm glad it's optional. The trekking sticks and pad are an exellent idea as well. I can also use them as a gun rest. I think I will start a list. I think my bags will be pretty full. Maybe I should drive up..........

Today I bought a Scabbard for my rifle on a Ebay. I kinda wanted leather but couldn't find what I wanted. End up getting a like new Red Head Canvas for a great price. Now I'm looking for a good Spotting scope. A lot of choices. I have some time to research. I'm leaning towards Vortex or Swarovski. Why are the Luepolds or Nikons not more popular?

Your are in for a treat. The Bob Marshall is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

As far as gear:

1. Make sure you have a warm sleeping bag. It will be cold at night.

2. Consider a pair of high topped, waterproof, insulated pack boots. This is what I wear that time of the year.

http://www.sorel.com/mens-maverick-boot-NM1080.html

3. If you are not used to spending a lot of time on horseback, pick up some of this stuff. Gold Bond works too.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...ID=120142990000056604&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=172067

4. Some high quality, heavy duty Goretex rain gear is highly recommended. If you can find a deal on it, The military stuff is excellent.

Do you know what the setup will be as far as hunting from a wall tent or their lodge or whatever? Depending on which way they go in, there really isn't access into the wilderness that early.

Be patient, keep glued to the glass, and enjoy yourself. That's some amazing country with great bear numbers.

I will second the advice about tick repellant. They seem to be thick in the brushy areas in western MT in the spring. You can pull 10 or more off your clothes in one brushy patch.

It's supposed to be out of the Lodge. Sleep in till it warms up a bit and head out on horseback to glass. Since it's looking like it will be a nice comfortable hunt I'm going to bring a very important piece of gear. My wife will be coming with me. :)

I appreciate all of your recommendations. I have really good rain gear but I will need new boots. That's high up on my gear list. My intention is to use this hunt as an opportunity to dip my toe in to Western Hunting, to gear up and to prepare for my next hunt. I'm going to interrupt my duck hunting to go to the Dallas Safari Club Convention on Jan 15-18 to begin planning my Fall Hunts. After reading some of the hunts on here I feel like I'm going out with training wheels but I'm still excited by it and looking forward to the eperience.

Glad you found a scabbard, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. good luck and enjoy the country, and if you have time, take the wife over the Going-to-the-sun hiway in Glacier park, you won't regret that.

Thank you Mthuntinfool. We will try to check it out. Last year we stayed in Big Sky and spent a week at Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks. We rented horses in Big Sky, went white water rafting I fished every day and we absolutely fell in love with the country. I can't wait to get back.

Dude, you sound a lot like me! I live in west Arkansas now. Ill be in shreeveport the end if January for the weekend. I want to hunt the mountains so bad, Im moving there. I will know TOMORROW if I get the house I want. Good luck on your hunt. POST PICS!!!!

No Going to the Sun that early in the spring unfortunately.

I have really good rain gear but I will need new boots. That's high up on my gear list.

Sounds like you have done some horseback riding - be sure when you purchase a pair of boots that they are not so dang big that they don't fit comfortably into a stirrup. You might even ask the outfitter if he has any oversize stirrups. Nothing worse than not having your feet get into or out of a stirrup easily and safely.

As far as being in horse shape - don't be a Joe Macho type from the start. Even after many years - if it's going to be a long day in the saddle I get off to walk every so often just to lossen up and stretch out - you'll soon find that the long down hill stretches are a good opportunity to do this.

Good luck and welcome to Montana.

Do you guys really have that big of problem with tics? I seriously have maybe found 1 in the last 5 years during spring bear hunting.

I know certain places like around the Koocanusa reservoir they are super bad. In the swan, I haven't found any. Seems to wet or something.

drahthaar, several years ago I was hunting in the spot where Dave Crisp killed that big chocolate boar. I got into ticks so bad that I stripped to my skivvies and started picking them off. Out of curiosity I was counting how many I found that day. I stopped counting when I got to 75. There were more but by then, I just didn't want to know.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back