Muzzy vs. First Rifle

prhunter

I'm sure its been talked about here before but....

Which would you all prefer? Colorado muzzleloader elk or Colorado first rifle elk? What would be pro/cons on one hunt vs the other?

I'm sure its been talked about here before but....

Which would you all prefer? Colorado muzzleloader elk or Colorado first rifle elk? What would be pro/cons on one hunt vs the other?
I’ve done both; you are more likely to be able to call bulls in muzzy, although they do sometimes respond in 1st rifle. Muzzy is longer, a rifle has greater range, less hunters in the woods during 1st rifle, meat care is usually much easier during 1st rifle.

Last edited:
Unless a person is really prepared for what muzzy season entails, high altitude, wild weather, tons of other people including hunters, hikers, climbers, etc, most would do better in 1st rifle. Muzzy is highly restricted in Colorado, both in tag numbers and what kind of muzzy you can use, but the number of archery hunters in the woods in unimaginable.

There's really more archery hunters than rifle hunters? That's surprising.
Muzzy season runs concurrently with archery and September bear season, meaning you have archery deer and elk hunters in the field, muzzy elk hunters, and rifle bear hunters. The only people in the woods during 1st rifle are rifle elk hunters, bear season has concluded and there is no 1st rifle deer season.

My 2 cents, figure out what unit you want to hunt first then pick your weapon. There are units that benefit one over the other.

Example: If you're planning on hunting a high alpine unit I'd go muzzy as I'd rather camp at 12k feet in sept then in october. If your hunting a lower elevation unit that is more trafficked or closer to the city I'd go 1st rifle.

I like muzzy season much better. I hardly ever see another hunter. I've found a lot of bow hunters don't hunt the muzzy season. The bear hunters will be down lower because that's where the food is. Plus, you have a much better chance of good weather in muzzy season and it's hard to beat hunting during the rut.

The muzzle loader season is more likely to really hit the rut, than hunting in the first center-fire season (muzzle loaders are rifles, too). Camping weather will be better, usually, during the muzzle loader season, but as was mentioned, you will have more competition tramping around the hills. Everything is a trade off. If you see an elk during the center-fire season, you are more apt to be able to kill it with a center-fire, if it is at a farther distance.

It just depends on what you like to do.

I'm still on the fence on whether to do Colorado 1st rifle elk or muzzy elk.

The unit I'm looking at has similar draw odds between the two hunts but the success rate changes quite a bit with obviously 1st rifle being higher.

This unit will have OTC archery deer/elk/bear hunters during the muzzy season as well.

I like the idea of being able to call bulls in during the muzzy season nut the first rifle dates would be a lot more convenient.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

I'm pretty sour on 1st rifle at this point. In my very limited experience, for pressured CO units, the elk have already vacated by mid Oct. Add that to very real possibility of the first winter storm, muzzy and archery here I come.

I enjoy hunting both seasons and have had about the same success rates in the W Colorado unit I hunt. If first rifle season dates work better for you, then go for that.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back