Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Life is Getting Short. Its Time For Plan B!

So far outside the Res has been the same price for land owner tag hunts as inside the Res. I will sure try Luna and see what they say. Thanks

Edit: I did talk to Luna, has a few late season ranch only tags left on 3 places totaling 6600 acres.
How much are the res tags and which reservation is it? There's a ton of reservations in our state

No clue about Res hunts but my suggestion would be don’t wait to draw a great tag and not have any elk experience. Elk hunting has a steep learning curve and you should definitely get experience via otc tags or easy to draw tags before going in inexperienced on a tag that takes years to draw. Find a hunt this year and go. It will pay off with experience when you draw a great tag.

No clue about Res hunts but my suggestion would be don’t wait to draw a great tag and not have any elk experience. Elk hunting has a steep learning curve and you should definitely get experience via otc tags or easy to draw tags before going in inexperienced on a tag that takes years to draw. Find a hunt this year and go. It will pay off with experience when you draw a great tag.
Yes, trying to draw in states I have buddies in that do elk hunt so they can help. I would never walk out into the unknown.

There is always Africa! I had a blast there last year, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would

Not giving that out until I make my decision. which may be in the morning.
I know people with unit wide tags but there in gila and pretty pricey. Might actually.be more than the res tags that's why I was asking. Good luck on your hunt and hopefully u and your child both tag out and make your dreams come true on the elk hunt u choose

Why? Thats the best part!

The challenge and learning is constant in elk hunting and what makes it great.

I know people with unit wide tags but there in gila and pretty pricey. Might actually.be more than the res tags that's why I was asking. Good luck on your hunt and hopefully u and your child both tag out and make your dreams come true on the elk hunt u choose
I did talk to one guy that has 2 Gila Unit wide tags for sale. over $12K and no guide. Won't dicker at all. I Can get it done way cheaper with the res tags I am looking at right now. And get to stay away from the crowds.

Save a bunch of money and buy a Colorado otc tag. Pick a unit. Setup a camp. Go hunt. It’s really that easy. The following year take what you learned and go back. When you shoot an elk this way it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. Paying an outfitter or buying a private tag cheapens the whole experience but of course you don’t know what you don’t know.

I did talk to one guy that has 2 Gila Unit wide tags for sale. over $12K and no guide. Won't dicker at all. I Can get it done way cheaper with the res tags I am looking at right now. And get to stay away from the crowds.
Also FYI all the landowner tags get alloted in June also for new mexico so more will be available. Another great spot with awesome bulls is Chama land and cattle but I think there up there in $$$$ also. U can see all there harvests on Facebook also

2 best res ranches are mescalero and jicarilla the rest might be harder to harvest on

Also FYI all the landowner tags get alloted in June also for new mexico so more will be available. Another great spot with awesome bulls is Chama land and cattle but I think there up there in $$$$ also. U can see all there harvests on Facebook also
I checked with them. Chama is $14,600 with Tag.

Thanks for all the input guys. We made up our minds. After contacting many outfitters with expensive landowner tags and less expensive tags. High guide fees and reasonable guide fees. Found the Jacirilla to be the best value with the most amount of Elk on the most amount of land available to hunt. Going late season Rifle this year for our first ever elk hunt. Got a great guide lined up that said we will have a hunt of a lifetime. Hope he is right.

Good luck! You guys will have a blast! You going to be basing out of dulce?

Back