PEAX Equipment

Life is Getting Short. Its Time For Plan B!

Tagged Out

Got done with another Elk draw season of no success. One state to go yet, but its a slim chance. Years of unsuccessful draws is taking its toll. I am getting older and want to Elk hunt with my 35 year old daughter. It would be our first. Found a couple late season Bull elk rifle tags on a New Mexico Reservation. If you had the money, is a RES the way to go? Pro's/Con's?

NM Tribal hunts are a lot of fun. I have gone with Larsen Panzy of the Jicarilla and had excellent hunts. NW Colorado has been a very good elk hunting on private ranches but the winter has taken a big toll...not so sure now.

Been applying from 3-7 years in states I have friends in to help. Using Huntin Fool recs. Maybe I need to go through a new place.

Res hunt would probably be fun. I'd get in touch with the managers to see what the hunt is like. OTC Colorado is always an option. It can be tough, but lots of elk get killed every year and there's always a chance!

NM Tribal hunts are a lot of fun. I have gone with Larsen Panzy of the Jicarilla and had excellent hunts. NW Colorado has been a very good elk hunting on private ranches but the winter has taken a big toll...not so sure now.
I talked to another well known guide there. Says it would be a hunt of a lifetime for my daughter. Never been there before so it's hard for me to know unless you go to that place.

I talked to another well known guide there. Says it would be a hunt of a lifetime for my daughter. Never been there before so it's hard for me to know unless you go to that place.
There are absolutely a ton of elk in that area, I killed a nice 6x just outside of the Res on the Lumberton side. If you would like contact info for a solid guide with access to landowner tags just outside of the res (Lumberton/Ducle area) PM me for his number.

Last edited:
There are absolutely a ton of elk in that area, I killed a nice 6x just outside of the Res on the Farmington side. If you would like contact info for a solid guide with access to landowner tags just outside of the res (Lumberton/Ducle area) PM me for his number.
I did some checking outside the res. Seems like the land owner tags are out of sight, as well as the outfitters now. But I will sure take his number and check with him. Thanks.

OTC tag in Colorado provides a lot of opportunity across the state. There is also the leftover list in Colorado that provides opportunity, as well as the leftover draw.

Just need to plan a bit! Folks on threads here will help. Don’t lose hope yet.
im glad you used the word opportunity...... for some folks that don't live in Elk Country its a lotta time,money,and effort to spend 7 days in those OTC units with little to no elk seen. not really enjoyable hunting to some. To the OP, do your research and spend the money. it will be worth every penny.

PM sent. Thanks
The secondary draw is not viable for most tags as they will go to youth first. Any unit with only a few tags will NOT be likely available for adults. There will be some tags available but only in less desireable areas, i.e, tough hunting with lots of competition. That said, my buddy shot a nice bull last year on a leftover tag but it took packing 5 miles in to get away from hordes of other hunters. It can be done though.

Been applying from 3-7 years in states I have friends in to help. Using Huntin Fool recs. Maybe I need to go through a new place.
What have been the odds you have been applying for? If you really want to go hunting there are hunts with good odds but lower quality bulls. If you haven't maybe pick one state that has the best odds and always apply for those good odds and use other states for long shots. Like you said your time is kind of short so why wait for "better" tags when the experience is really about being with your kid?

Got done with another Elk draw season of no success. One state to go yet, but its a slim chance. Years of unsuccessful draws is taking its toll. I am getting older and want to Elk hunt with my 35 year old daughter. It would be our first. Found a couple late season Bull elk rifle tags on a New Mexico Reservation. If you had the money, is a RES the way to go? Pro's/Con's?
Private tags in New mexico Re way cheaper than the reservation tags in nm. Look on go hunt or look up luna canyon adventures In Northern New mexico. He has a Facebook page and also a internet page. He is reasonably priced and 100% private ranch

Private tags in New mexico Re way cheaper than the reservation tags in nm. Look on go hunt or look up luna canyon adventures In Northern New mexico. He has a Facebook page and also a internet page. He is reasonably priced and 100% private ranch
So far outside the Res has been the same price for land owner tag hunts as inside the Res. I will sure try Luna and see what they say. Thanks

Edit: I did talk to Luna, has a few late season ranch only tags left on 3 places totaling 6600 acres.

Last edited:
Back