MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Life is Getting Short. Its Time For Plan B!

Thanks for all the input guys. We made up our minds. After contacting many outfitters with expensive landowner tags and less expensive tags. High guide fees and reasonable guide fees. Found the Jacirilla to be the best value with the most amount of Elk on the most amount of land available to hunt. Going late season Rifle this year for our first ever elk hunt. Got a great guide lined up that said we will have a hunt of a lifetime. Hope he is right.
Congrats my bull tags I drew border the jicarilla in Nov. Hope u amd your daughter have a blast

Been applying from 3-7 years in states I have friends in to help. Using Huntin Fool recs. Maybe I need to go through a new place.
huntin fool recommendations are exactly how NOT to draw in many cases. Thousands of subscribers with not knowledge of a given state are blindly plugging in the same select few hunt codes. Causes point creep and a swell of applicants for precious few tags.

huntin fool recommendations are exactly how NOT to draw in many cases. Thousands of subscribers with not knowledge of a given state are blindly plugging in the same select few hunt codes. Causes point creep and a swell of applicants for precious few tags.
I take the recs of my buddies that live in the states as well as Huntin Fool to make my choices. Not looking for the lowest non resident point total just to hunt.
how many/which states are you applying in?
4, but only two that I will apply in now will be NM and AZ. I will continue in AZ because I will be a resident there by next year. Will continue the NM draw because no points. And with 2 buddies that live in Springerville AZ and Show Low, that know AZ Elk hunting like the back of their hands, I will follow their recs for their area. And if I still don't get drawn, I will go back to the reservation.

I have no one to help in Colorado. Not even put in there. Would have to go outfitter for sure with us having no experience. Sorry if it sounds gloomy.
You want to go on an elk hunt, yet you failed to apply for the state with the most elk?

Got done with another Elk draw season of no success. One state to go yet, but its a slim chance. Years of unsuccessful draws is taking its toll. I am getting older and want to Elk hunt with my 35 year old daughter. It would be our first. Found a couple late season Bull elk rifle tags on a New Mexico Reservation. If you had the money, is a RES the way to go? Pro's/Con's?
Take her to Africa before you pay for a reservation hunt. Just the other day I saw a very good package deal advertised for less than $5K including a week of hunting and five good plains game animals. You'll see hundreds of animals of every kind.

Take her to Africa before you pay for a reservation hunt. Just the other day I saw a very good package deal advertised for less than $5K including a week of hunting and five good plains game animals. You'll see hundreds of animals of every kind.
Thanks, but we have no interest in going to that country.

Why's that? Wonderful people, beautiful geography, spectacular hunting. Seeing the world is always a worthwhile experience.
Why's that? Wonderful people, beautiful geography, spectacular hunting. Seeing the world is always a worthwhile experience.
Why is that? I value my life and my daughters life. Last time my buddy hunted in Africa 2 years ago, his PH was installing a high voltage fence around is home to try and keep the roving bands of natives out. Not for me.

Why is that? I value my life and my daughters life. Last time my buddy hunted in Africa 2 years ago, his PH was installing a high voltage fence around is home to try and keep the roving bands of natives out. Not for me.
Or you can go to Walmart in Havre, MT where crazies are roving the aisles with guns shoved in their shirts. Or check out the suburban schools with armed guards and metal detectors. Or you can hunt public land just about anywhere on opening day in the Lower 48. Man, that can be scary! But it's somehow scarier in Africa because the bad guys are black? 🤔 I've been hunting there three times and never felt threatened. Your buddy's PH maybe didn't get along with the folks in the community? I have seen a few guys like that on both sides of the pond. My lodge is a big time employer in that small community. The folks there depend on that guy's business for employment and he treats them fair. He looks out for them and they look out for him. I have seen him and his wife bend over backwards giving crappy help a second (or third chance). During COVID when the business was doing nothing, they dug into their retirement funds to keep twenty staff with families going. No govt assistance for those folks.

Or you can go to Walmart in Havre, MT where crazies are roving the aisles with guns shoved in their shirts. Or check out the suburban schools with armed guards and metal detectors. Or you can hunt public land just about anywhere on opening day in the Lower 48. Man, that can be scary! But it's somehow scarier in Africa because the bad guys are black? 🤔 I've been hunting there three times and never felt threatened. Your buddy's PH maybe didn't get along with the folks in the community? I have seen a few guys like that on both sides of the pond. My lodge is a big time employer in that small community. The folks there depend on that guy's business for employment and he treats them fair. He looks out for them and they look out for him. I have seen him and his wife bend over backwards giving crappy help a second (or third chance). During COVID when the business was doing nothing, they dug into their retirement funds to keep twenty staff with families going. No govt assistance for those folks.
Thanks for the tip on Harve. Won’t go there either now. And it’s not just Africa, I won’t hunt in Illinois, Washington, Oregon, California or New York. Smell what I am cooking?

Huh…if I come asking for help, usually I’m just thankful for the responses and take them with a grain of salt. Instead of bashing the people I asked for help, when they give their opinion🤔

Here’s a gaggle of Sako L46’s:

Top 7X33 with Unertl 4X
218 Bee with Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base
22 Hornet Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base
222 Remington Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base

2D6DE5B8-5088-4B75-83C9-3E4342F8846C.jpeg

Back