music preferences

Europe

a couple of members have ask me about my music preferences and I thought I would ask all of you

who or what inspired you to like or listen to one style of music over another ?

mine was for the most part inspired by the men in my life

My grandfather---you are my sunshine and ghost riders in the sky are still songs I hum sometimes

my dad-I still sing or hum several Sinatra, Cole and Crosby songs

my husband--anything and everything country but Twitty, Cline, Lynn, Robbins, williams, jennings, nelson, cash

I did have a few of my own however--elvis, platters, statler brothers, mamas and papas--- I knew every word of "creeque alley" and almost every word of everything the Eagles sang before they broke up ( and then got back together )

and when the occasion presents itself, I can still remember the words to the old rugged cross and just a closer walk with thee, thanks to my grandmother. No matter how bad I wanted to go fishing or hunting or whatever on Sunday, it was always after church.

I was never able to like rap or hip/hop.

who or what inspired your musical preferences AND do any of you play musical instruments ?

RUSH. If you have not really listened or read their music, its about life experiences. Very few songs about drugs or women. ( Ok Passage to Bankok will get you high just listening to it) but not many others.

Being a musician its all the talent of the individuals to make a sound. Albeit RUSH.

I am into most all hair bands. Maiden, Crue, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc. Classic rock is fine and I can do country. NO RAP

I grew up with classic rock and I still like that sound but in the mid 80's when Christ found me, the lyrics became a major issue to me and I found Christian Rock. Talented musicians, same great sound but with lyrics I could embrace. Some of the christian musicians came out of the mainstream and were well known.

Ha, like you Glass eye, my tastes changed IAW my beliefs. I play guitar and always learned 70s and 80s rock, which were my favs. After really listening to the words and the more I dug into the backgrounds and history of the groups, my "fandom" began waning. I now don't pick up my guitars near as much... but they look pretty sitting there in my music room! lol.

Classic rock and old country. Some new country is good.

Radio in pickup is set to classic country.

I waiting responses from the heavy hitters. Some of those guys post from every genre!

Genre doesn’t matter, but I just love real, authentic music. My mom played lots of oldies and classic country when I was a kid, and my dad liked Yoakam, Marshall Tucker Band and classic rock.
Being a hormone filled teen, I bounced from sound to sound, not knowing what I was looking for. I liked pop, then rap, then metal, then I started getting into country. I was gung-ho country guy, until I (re)discovered Marshall Tucker Band and The Band. I was always yearning to find something different. Something new, but with roots in the past. I stumbled onto Whiskeytown and Uncle Tupelo one winter day, and my musical world turned upside down. Those bands led to Son Volt, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Drive-By Truckers and I was forever ruined by the underground music scene.

I dont like a type of music like rock, country, classic, etc

I like songs and songs I can understand the words too. Old and new----- rock, country, pop are all o.k. as long as it is upbeat, fun and the words can be heard. Europe mentioned the Eagles and they certainly had staying power through several generations and did so with some new songs but their old songs are still well liked. RIP Glen. But there are a lot of songs I like and have made tapes of these songs for my own personal listening pleasure.

Another NO Rap vote

Recently I have been tuned in to an old classic country station. Couldn't stand it 20 yrs ago. Kind of liking it now. I am a big fan of Joe Bonamassa too. His guitar playing is fantastic!

I like classic country, some of the new country but I listen to bluegrass old and new about 95% percent of the time.

Country. I grew up in the suburbs and did not have much exposure to rural/small town life. I made fun of country music and those who liked it. The scene from Blues Brothers where they do "Stand By Your Man" fairly well represented my stereotypes.

However, after moving to Western ND and rubbing shoulders with people who lived and worked close to the land I found my true calling as a country boy with a love for wild places and the west. A lot of country artists sing about these kind of values and lifestyle.

"Huntin', Fishin', Lovin' Every Day" is pretty much an anthem

"Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me" is another favorite

"Night Train" brings me back to days spent living along the Upper Mississippi

"Boondocks" I blast this on the truck radio and sing along, despite not actually being from the boondocks

thanks guys for the posts. country is well represented, which works for me (-:

I had an interesting conversation about how inhumane a song is that I told some folks about, but it was a different time and place, and not just dogs btw

Give a listen to "old shep' by Foley and anyone who has had a dog as a young adult will after listening to this song, remember that dog

thanks again everyone for your posts

well hell, that was uplifting---just joking. I had never heard it but being a dog lover and having lost more than a couple, I can relate.

I just recently saw two movies that had some country songs and artist in them. Smoky and the bandit and he best little whorehouse in Texas.

I am told that the last one was loosely developed from a true story .

I like pretty much every thing except for Rap/Hip Hop and new pop/dance music. I'm not a big fan of new country and I've never been able to get into blues or jazz much but don't mind it if its on. My ipod has everything on it from Metallica and Disturbed to Sinatra, Pink Floyd, 90's country, classic rock, 80's hairbands, some reggae and a fair about of Classical music. What I listen too all depends on mood, occasion and company I'm with.

I like music. Just about anything. I grew up listening to rock and roll and realized, when I was older, that I really enjoyed the country music that my dad listened to and the old Victrola records that my mom played on occasion. Now I'll listen to Smokey Robinson, INXS, Mel McDaniel, Roy Orbison, Alabama, Tchaikovsky, and VanHalen all in the same afternoon.

I really can't stand most rap/hip-hop. And most of today's music is too formulaic and manufactured for my tastes.

Mom 83yrs loves Johnny Cash "Ghost Riders in The Sky"
Also partial to "The Highway Men"Johnny Cash,Chris Christopherson,
Waylon and Willie. 😎

I mostly listen to POP now. Running kids all over the place for all their activities, I let them pick the station. I know all the words to Marshmellow's song Happier. Some of it I actually like.

Enjoyed hair metal and alternative when I was in school.

70's was when I first started listening to music and has always been my favorite era. Classic rock, outlaw country, and southern rock have always been my preference. Played trumpet for a few years in grade school and didn't care much for it!

Marshall Tucker Band is my all time favorite band. Have seen them 3 times live over the years, but unfortunately it was after most of the original members had step away from the grind. My best live performance was easily Chris Ledoux in the mid 90's. They don't make them like Chris anymore!

I can't make myself listen to rap but I certainly respect the mental and linguistic dexterity of some of it's performers. There are many genres containing music I very much like...to my ears pleasing musicianship takes only a moment to recognize and remember. One of the best things about this site is the number of discriminating members whose cultural sensibilities are, IMO, way above average, with music being but one of many refined categories generously shared.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back