Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

music preferences

...There are many genres containing music I very much like...to my ears pleasing musicianship takes only a moment to recognize and remember....
Agree.
I like good music in nearly any genre. Some of my top picks would include Soundgarden/Audioslave, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Queens of the Stone Age, Johnny Cash, Big Boi/Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest, Jason Isbell, etc.
There are plenty of younger artists whose catalogs may end up outstanding, but I could listen to just those few for the rest of my life and be pretty happy. That said, it's really a revolving list of more like 100 artists that could be among my favorites on a given day.

i grew up in the 80's with long hair and a leather jacket listing to metal type music, in my 20's i explored all types of music, now as i approach 50, i find myself listing to late 60's and 70's music , also enjoy the 80's pop music now , but when i was a teen i thought it was mostly crap, also enjoy older country music from the 40's thru the 80's ... mostly pre 90's country. haven't listened to radio music in years, just sports radio now , quit trying to keep up with new artists a decade ago , cant really say i like today's modern country , also since be coming a christian i enjoy live praise and worship music.

Geez, not really sure how to encapsulate all of what I like. It ranges from George Winston to 80s rock to classic country to Bluegrass to Johnny Cash to Need to Breathe......

thanks to everyone who responded to my thread and with some very interesting information, thank you

So many of the artists mentioned by some I do not know unfortunately. I have not looked for new music of any kind for a while now. My children made me 6 tapes of songs that they knew I liked and I have worn them out, especially when sailing.

One group of songs/music I did not mention that I like are songs like ---Old Man River, When the Saints come marching in, and under the right circumstances I can still get misty eyes when they sing "oh say can you see--and--I always stand. John Cash, that ragged old flag--even John Wayne-why do I love America ( although he doesn't sing )

I just dont understand some types of music or even it's purpose --like gangster rap I think it is called. Shooting, killing, raping--maybe I am just too old to get it, because some of these folks make a lot of money, so somebody is listening to their songs

Thanks again guys

Hunting wife and mtelkhuntress--you dont listen to music ? (-:

Oh, alright. 😊 When it comes to music, I don’t even know where to start. I’m all over the place - I blame it on being a west coaster. o_O

My workout playlist alone is schizophrenic. It includes Eminem, The White Buffalo, The Dead South, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Maren Morris, Kelly Clarkson, Chris Stapleton, 2Pac, Portugal The Man, Billie Eilish, Florence + The Machine, AC/DC, Bruno Mars, Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, blink-182, The Strumbellas, Eric Church, and Demi Lovato.

The rest of my music ranges even farther than that. No idea what that says about me. I listen to something different depending on my mood and what I’m doing. If it hits my ear right, I’ll listen to it. The only thing that turns me off is the hard core gangbanger and “b$&@?es and ho’s” stuff.

Oh, alright. 😊 When it comes to music, I don’t even know where to start. I’m all over the place - I blame it on being a west coaster. o_O

My workout playlist alone is schizophrenic. It includes Eminem, The White Buffalo, The Dead South, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Maren Morris, Kelly Clarkson, Chris Stapleton, 2Pac, Portugal The Man, Billie Eilish, Florence + The Machine, AC/DC, Bruno Mars, Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, blink-182, The Strumbellas, Eric Church, and Demi Lovato.

The rest of my music ranges even farther than that. No idea what that says about me. I listen to something different depending on my mood and what I’m doing. If it hits my ear right, I’ll listen to it. The only thing that turns me off is the hard core gangbanger and “b$&@?es and ho’s” stuff.

LOL--LOL--thank you (-;

I feel soooooooooo old. I have only heard of four of the artist's you mentioned. my loss

I was also wondering what you listen to when your in the "zone" reflected in the picture you posted about your temper---does ganster rap fit then (-;

Seriously thank you for the post, like many others, you follow a wide spectrum of artists. Good for you.

Also, do any of you or have any of you enjoyed a song more when it was sang by a newer artist as compared to the original artist. Although I like dolly Parton and many of her songs, I like whitney's version of "I will always love you" better. And before you guys crucify me for all the mushy stuff, I also like---Hall----Faster Horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money. The Eagles., take it easy ( 7 women on my mind ) whats that all about ? (-;

Thanks--Hunting Wife

I was also wondering what you listen to when your in the "zone" reflected in the picture you posted about your temper---does ganster rap fit then (-;

Nope. More towards metal or rock -“angry sounding” music. ;)

Also, do any of you or have any of you enjoyed a song more when it was sang by a newer artist as compared to the original artist.

One that comes to mind for me is The Zac Brown Band’s version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia from Bonaroo. Unreal.

Sturgil Simpson’s version of In Bloom is good too. Nirvana was the sound of my high school experience, so it’s interesting to hear that song done that way. I don’t know if I like it better per se, but at least equally pleasing to listen to.

Spotify says - Disturbed, Trapt, POD, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Temple of the Dog, Saliva, Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, Rob Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, Seether, My Darkest Days, Hinder, AC/DC, Staind, Theory of a Deadman, Audioslave, Buckcherry, Incubus, Candlebox

Hunting wife and mtelkhuntress--you dont listen to music ? (-:
Haha I suppose I do. Being an only child to a father who is a metalhead.....I guess I had it coming, listened to a lot of Metallica, Ozzy, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath, and some Rammstein. Oh and lots of AC/DC.
I also listen to a lot of Latin music thanks to my mom. When she came to the states though, she listened to a lot of CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Roy Orbison, Pink Floyd and America. I definitely still listen to those.
My college roommate tried to get me into country (she being from Texas), I listen to a little but not much. Mostly George Straight, Willy Nelson, Chris Stapleton and Casey Musgraves. I also really like Sturgill Simpson.
I dont really like rap or pop....I guess I mostly listen rock and metal for me. Lately though I've been on a Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne kick.

On the newer vs. older artist front, Cash's version of NIN's Hurt is very believable. There is an interesting interview with Rick Rubin on how they worked together on that cover, and that the lyrical perspective when sung by an old Cash near the end of his life is very, very heavy.

I like Soundgarden's and Cash's Rusty Cage about equivalently, both are excellent.

Brandi Carlile's cover of John Prine's Angel from Montgomery tops the original to my ear.

I like Soundgarden's and Cash's Rusty Cage about equivalently, both are excellent.

Ha, I hadn't ever heard that before. Impossible to surpass Cornell's amazing vocals, but I will see if it grows on me.

This band doesn't fit my other prefs, but I have been enjoying Great van Fleet for the last couple months. We shall see if it sticks.

mtelkhuntress, like yourself I found "country" in college through roommates. They liked old and new and I heard some I liked . I also like Casey, but was somewhat amazed at the strength of Reba's voice when I first heard her.

hunting wife, I am another that enjoyed your post and picture/video of your temper. Great post. I would not want to be hunting husband during those storms -ha

europe. although I do not listen to his music, I have heard Sinatra sing, my way, and that song might just fit for you and a few others here. I also recently saw a video of liza minelli singing NYNY---boy that girl knew how to work an audience.

My local hunting partner makes me listen to classical when he drives. So I usually drive.
Hunting Wife's work out list works for me when I work out. Otherwise stuff more toward's
Europes range when I'm on the road.
Brother Bob is ok
Can't wait to hear Harley rap... o_O

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back