Yeti GOBOX Collection

Mule Deer Gear List

Brachii

Howdy folks-- I'll be rifle mule deer hunting for 4 days in CO at around 10k ft elevation and I'm starting to make my gear check list. I'd love to see yall's if you got one to paste in forum. Always interesting to compare and double check. All my deer hunting has been in a completely different Texas terrain, so mountain hunting is new to me. We won't be camping, as my bud has a cabin out there. This is what I got going on right now-- feel free to critique. Thanks!

MAJOR-- Hiking pack, water bladder, rifle, 20x ammo, rifle cover, range finder, spotting scope, tri pod, handgun

DRESSING/SAFETY-- gutting knife, bone saw knife, 6x game bags, latex gloves, sani wipes, sani gel, tweezers, neosporin, bandages, qtips, athletic tape/wrap

MISC-- phone (as gps), spare phone battery, lighter, compass, 2x mini flashlights, bug spray, sunscreen, scent blocker, ear plugs

CLOTHES-- rain jacket, soft shell, 2x long sleeve, 2x pants, 2x upper/lower base layer, 5x socks, hiking boots, hat, beanie, face guard, orange vest, 2x gloves, towel

Last edited:
Bring all of they gear you think you might need stored in rubbermaids in your vehicle. The first year you will bring 3x as much stuff than you actually need. Your pack will start heavy with gear and you will leave half of it behind after the first day. Write it all down, play with different types of gear and clothing and see what works for your situation.

I'd dump the handgun, rifle cover (whatever that is), and 8-10 rounds of ammo right off the bat.

Going from Texas to 10,000 feet is going to be rough enough as it is.

Don't forget food!

I also much prefer a small headlamp to a hand-held flashlight.

I always bring a paper map to go with the GPS.

I wouldn't bother with the bug spray, sun block, or scent block, but that's just me.

Some way to treat water, unless you're carrying an entire day's worth.

I always bring some extreme cold-weather gear, just in case.

You'll hopefully need a big cooler for your meat.

I don't think you will need 6 game bags for a mule deer. 5 should be plenty and you can make it work with 4 usually.

I'd dump the handgun, rifle cover (whatever that is), and 8-10 rounds of ammo right off the bat.

Going from Texas to 10,000 feet is going to be rough enough as it is.

Ya I've been in Colorado long enough and am an avid hiker that I'm not as worried about the elevation as much as I am the cold and wetness. Is a soft shell and rain jacket enough with my cold gear base layers going to be enough? 2nd rifle season is October 20 ish-- not sure how much snow if any there will be. That's also why I added the rifle cover (sleeve, condom, whatever they're called here). I can leave the extra ammo at the cabin along with most my food and spare clothes. Is bear mace a better alternative to my pistol or should I not even worry about them?

Last edited:
Since you are staying at the cabin I would take extra clothes etc that aren't a weight penalty while hiking. You may want some basic survival gear for an overnighter if you find a buck you want to sit on until morning. You're not living in luxury but just making it through the night so an emergency bivy should do it.
Grab some foolproof fire starter of your choice. Colo typically has lots of water so having a way to purify some with drops or lightweight filter will save weight.
But with your water, food, extra clothes and kill kit it is easy to be carrying around a 35lb+ pack. Life is alot better if you can get that down to 20.

You may want some basic survival gear for an overnighter if you find a buck you want to sit on until morning. You're not living in luxury but just making it through the night so an emergency bivy should do it.
Grab some foolproof fire starter of your choice. Colo typically has lots of water so having a way to purify some with drops or lightweight filter will save weight.

Let's re-phrase this. You WILL want some basic survival gear, to include shelter, firestarter, compass, and water purification. If you don't carry this on you when you're hunting, you're a fool.

To the OP, since you're staying in a cabin I'll echo others here in that I wouldn't worry too much about taking too much gear. Absolutely take a headlamp, preferably have two. I see no need for bug spray or scent blocker, or a saw for that matter.

Good boots, good socks, good binos.

Ya I've been in Colorado long enough and am an avid hiker that I'm not as worried about the elevation as much as I am the cold and wetness. Is a soft shell and rain jacket enough with my cold gear base layers going to be enough? 2nd rifle season is October 20 ish-- not sure how much snow if any there will be. That's also why I added the rifle cover (sleeve, condom, whatever they're called here). I can leave the extra ammo at the cabin along with most my food and spare clothes. Is bear mace a better alternative to my pistol or should I not even worry about them?

If you have a rifle, I don't see much reason to carry a pistol.

As far as clothing goes, a base layer, light jacket, insulting layer, and rain gear will get you through 99% of situations.

I like a First Lite wool base layer, Patagonia Nano puff for the light jacket, some sort of lofty down for the insulation, and then rain gear as a 4 piece top combo

You need to lighten up: I'd ditch the following: 10 rounds, rifle cover, handgun, saw, 2 game bags, bug spray, sunscreen, scent blocker.

I would add: Sawyer mini water filter ($16 on Amazon Prime), a more reliable fire starter (like a blast match), wetfire cubes (weigh and cost nothing), a few pieces of paracord to hang quarters, either and sharpener or a replaceable blade knife, a compass, and a zip tie to attach the tag to the hindquarter.

You will love hunting public lands in CO! Much more exciting and beautiful and rewarding than Texas deer hunting! Your list looks good and you've put a lot of thought into it!

I'd carry the rifle loaded with a spare magazine worth of ammos in your pack somewhere it won't get lost. Have a box back at camp. You won't get 20 shots a day. And you shouldn't need them.

I second the recommendations for headlamps and a Sawyer mini water filter.

4 large game bags are plenty. Bring a small knife sharpener. Leave the saw.

Weather in CO can go from sunny in the 80s to blizzard conditions if weather moves in. So I'd bring a warm layer too. Carry gear which you could use to survive and uncomfortable night if you get lost or injured.

Consider a SPOT tracker if this is your first time in CO backcountry. especially if you'll be alone.

I didn't see binoculars on your list. I'd recommend a good pair of 8-10x 40mm. You'll use them more frequently than the spotter. Depending on terrain, a spotter may not be very useful. Binos are always useful, even in thick timber.

Paracord and TP should always be in the pack.

I like to have a small multitool capable of fixing any gear you pack (like your rifle scope mounts) just in case.

It's handy to have a ziplock or two. Same with a heavy duty lawn bag.

Handgun is optional and I generally find them uncomfortable to carry with a pack all day.

Recommend some hiking/shooting sticks if you're new to backcountry travel, especially under heavy load. Do you have a good hauling pack? And your daypack should be able to haul out a front shoulder.

Blaze orange flagging is useful when hauling antlers for safety during rifle season and for marking the way back to your kill or tracking.

I always have sunscreen and lip balm.

That's all I can think of for now. Be safe. Have fun.

On second thought, the saw may be a good idea. Colorado is a CWD state, and the OP may be required to skull cap the head for transport.

Great input! For water I was gonna have a Lifestraw-- have y'all had good experiences with it? The handgun, for me, is more against crazies and bear/moose attacks and euthanization-- legal in Colorado? I didn't think about the orange flag-- great idea. My pack has a metal frame of some sort, pretty stirdy. Would a Sitka Celsius jacket be warm enough with my under armour cold gear base layer? I have a feeling any real thick jacket will be too hot once we get hiking

I have a feeling any real thick jacket will be too hot once we get hiking

Have a variety of layers available. I usually hike in a 1/4 zip wool shirt, then add layers when I stop to glass.

I think the Sitka jacket is probably fine.

Lifestraws suck. I have a few. But I don't like them. They are tough to drink from. And you have to have a cup or something. I have one in my fly fishing vest so I never really carry water on the river. But bending over and using that straw sucks. And sucks hard to get any water.

A Sawyer mini is basically the same thing. You can use it like a straw or you can screw it on a platypus or water bottle. I rigged mine to a bladder for a gravity feed filter system. I find it works much better and is more versatile and convenient.

I wear sunscreen every day, but I apply before I leave the house. (Mostly cause the guys I work with would have way too much fun with me having white stuff on my face) so I'd say make dang sure you carry some along on the trip. Melanoma is nothing to play with, and elevation removes a lot of filtering atmosphere. Like everyone said, bring way too much gear along on the trip, you can pare down your daypack as you progress through the week. I'm a believer in headlamps,( I have 2 lamps that fit the same strap) I can always hand hold it if I need to, but putting a hand held in your hat sucks. You do want some sort of survival gear, bivvy, firestarter, water purifier.I never carry a sidearm, I figure I've got a rifle. I normally hike in a light layer and change shirts before I sit to glass, then add layers as needed. I'm a fat guy, and sweat a lot.One thing I always carry is a small piece of plastic, or better tyvek to sit on, keeps me from having wet drawers, and chafing. Mostly, enjoy yourself, and the trip with your friends.

Looks like everyone has you covered. If you get hot and sweaty hiking you will get cold when the sun gets low. At least one lite, warm layer should be along. It doesn't take extreme cold for hypothermia to set in.
Throw in a couple of extra batteries for that headlamp, they could be used for a fire starter in an emergency.
Paracord for hanging those quarters will cool them down quickly in any shady tree.

I assumed you're planning to backpack in. If that's correct then start thinking in ounces instead of pounds and shed every one of those you can. Definitely loose the handgun and take enough ammo for one full load and one full reload. Get yourself mentally prepared to drink a lot of water. 10K feet is no joke.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back