DIY Archery Elk Gear List

WesternRookie

Putting together a list for a couple of life long southern whitetail hunters who want to go after elk next year, DIY style:

Please let me know what I am missing here, or if you have other feedback:

Gear List

Binos 10x42 (Vortex, Maven, Leupold)

Bino Harness (Alaskan Guide Creations, Marsupial, FHF Gear, Outdoor Vision)

Rangefinder (Leupold, Bushnell)

1 person Tent (Backcountry.com, First Lite, Kuiu)

Lightweight sleeping bag (15-20 degree rating)

Sleeping pad – (Thermarest)

Boots (Meindl, Lowa, Schnee’s, Crispi)

Boot Gaiters (Kuiu, Outdoor research)

6000-7000ci Backpack (Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier

1 Liter Hard Nalgene Bottle

2 Liter Platypus or Nalgene wide mouth water bladder

Telescoping Trekking Poles (Black Diamond, Leki)

Lightweight (20L) stuff sack (for storing food)

Headlamp and extra batteries

Knife

Crocs

Game bags (Cabelas, Amazon)

Merino wool socks (1 pair per 2 days)

Underwear (1 pair per 2 days)

Long under wear tops and bottoms

2 pair hiking pants

2 shirts

1 medium weight jacket

Ballcap

Beanie

Gloves

Garmin Inreach

Waterproof matches

First Aid supplies, mole skin

Water purifier (MSR Filter, Sawyer Squeeze, Steri Pen)

Lightweight Stove (1 per 2 hunters) MSR, Jet Boil

Last edited:
Instead of the nalgene bottles go with a smart water bottle they are lighter. This year I could only find a puddle to filter water. I had to squeeze the smart water bottle and basically suck water into it. Wasn’t enough flow to fill a sawyer bag and a nalgene would have taken forever.

I like Micropur tablets rather than filters, also a metal cup for boiling water, army surplus or snow peak are good options. Long handled spoon for meals.

I bring one pair of pants and then rain gear + a puffy jacket for my hunts.

Rain pants dry out super fast so are great for river crossings + are great for cutting wind glassing + walking through wet grass. I wear my rain gear every trip but rarely in the rain.

Puffy + hard shell aka rain jacket will be lighter and warmer than a soft shell like a Kuiu guide jacket or Sitka jet stream.

That said personal preferences, you will be fine with your gear list.

Food... depends on the context and I do occasionally hang stuff, but I mostly sleep with my food. I hung food this year in CO because we had a ton of it and left it at camp during the day, similarly hung it on POW for the same reasons + lots of trees. I’ve never hung food in AK, and don’t on most CO hunts. WY and MT... maybe maybe not...

P cord or something similar
Ditch one pair of pants and swap it for rain gear
Fire starters
I'd take a puffy
I carry an extra headlamp and an extra knife Sucks when they break or get lost.
2nd extra headlamp, I like to carry one in my pocket and one in my pack.

Id recommend a basecamp type hunt if this is your first time elk hunting. Either way, don’t forget your bugle tube.

Yeah no 2nd pair of pants unless they’re rain or wind blocking.

Yes a puffy, decent ones or even used are pretty cheap.

I don’t bring more than two pairs of socks regardless of how long the trip is, and don’t carry extra underwear ever.

If there’s gonna be precip I take a second pair of light gloves, one to dry inside coat while the other is in use.

I use a base layer top as a second shirt if shirt #1 needs to dry, so I wouldn’t take two t-shirts.

All personal preferences, and all assuming backpacking.

Your list looks pretty good. You'll determine that you don't need as many extra clothes as you might think. I only used one extra pair of socks in my pack for an 8 day trip. Merino doesn't smell, and you can dry out the pair you wear during the day in your sleeping bag at night, then wear them again the next day. At the end of your trip, make a list of the stuff you didn't need, and the things you'd like to add for the next trip. Some of it is individual too.

Id recommend a basecamp type hunt if this is your first time elk hunting. Either way, don’t forget your bugle tube.

Plan is to hike in and set up a base camp a few miles in. Then go out on daily hikes/hunts from there.

Plan is to hike in and set up a base camp a few miles in. Then go out on daily hikes/hunts from there.
Just be aware you might be limiting yourself quite a bit, especially if this is an area you’ve not hunted before.

Smart water bottles over nalgene.
If anything if on your list as an Extra item (boxers, t shirt - socks are only item exempt from this rule and only 1 pair!) It stays at home.
Swab out the extra pants for packable rain gear.
Where is the puffy?

What rifle/bow is going?

Add some 3mm P cord, a small knife sharpener, and some flagging tape to the kill kit along with a short sharpie fine point marker (signing and dating tags).

Gear repair kit?

Looks like you are about 85% dialed in

1 person tent? My 2 man Nemo Hornet is sub-2# and is perfect for 1 guy with his gear. A 1 man anything is the same or nearly the same weight and is cramped.

Depending on where you are going....I would add packable rain gear, puffy jacket, tripod, map, compass, extra headlamp
Depending on where you are going....I would consider not bringing gaiters

Back