EOY - What Equipment Worked, What Didn't?

I have mixed feelings about Voormi, I like that they manufacture in the US and I think there products are high quality.... but they source their wool from the sheep flocks that are coming into contact with Bighorn herds in the San Juans.

They literally have the highly contentions flocks + sheep dogs from this thread on their homepage...https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...nd-aggressive-sheep-dogs&highlight=sheep+dogs

https://voormi.com/pages/about-voormi

Can't buy Duckworth wool. It comes from the Helle bunch in the Gravellies and Snowcrests. Shit - Voormi's yet another company to boycott. I'm gonna' have to start designing, sourcing, and manufacturing all my own gear.:D

Kenai chest holster - I wish I had found this FIRST when I started trying to figure out how to carry my pistol while wearing my backpack. Would have been enough money saved to get the AGC bino harness I want. lol.

-Brian

So does the Kenai chest holster work with a bino harness? The holster is a great looking rig.

Can't buy Duckworth wool. It comes from the Helle bunch in the Gravellies and Snowcrests. Shit - Voormi's yet another company to boycott. I'm gonna' have to start designing, sourcing, and manufacturing all my own gear.:D

Not sure about boycott... would be interesting to give them a call and see where they stand on the issue. I would imagine if more wool buyers like Voormi insisted that their producers kept there flocks out of Bighorn habitat there would be way more movement on the issue.

Not sure about boycott... would be interesting to give them a call and see where they stand on the issue. I would imagine if more wool buyers like Voormi insisted that their producers kept there flocks out of Bighorn habitat there would be way more movement on the issue.

I actually am waiting for an email response from them regarding a product. Upon receipt of the response, I will pose just such a question/comment to them and see how they respond.
Bottom line - it's a complicated world and I believe if one digs into the depths of any company's business, you'd find something or another...……..

This little bottle collapses and fits in my pocket. It is much nicer than carrying a big water bladder.

719LZ-gXtML._SL1500_.jpg

What worked:

Seek Outside 4 man tipi and stove. Wanted one for a couple years and finally caved this summer. Used it on archery elk and rifle mule deer hunts this fall. It was great to have a lightweight, quick set up tent with heat. Could have easily accommodated another hunter but was a nice size for me and all my junk. Had one super windy night where I wasn't sure about the tent's fortitude, but it held on without any damage. I was glad to have ear plugs to sleep through that night.

Jet sled. I'd had the sled for a couple years, but always either forgot it at home or shot my late season elk close enough to the road to not need it. Shot a cow really far in this year and the sled saved an immense amount of work, allowing me to get the quartered meat out all in one trip. Won't leave it at home again and probably won't shoot a cow that far in again unless there's enough snow to use it.

Hyper tough reciprocating saw from Wal Mart. Inexpensive and pretty slick for breaking down elk - cutting off lower legs and cutting frozen shoulder blade roasts into pieces that'll fit in the crockpot. Also used it to cut frozen shanks into osso bucco discs.

Didn't work:

I'm in the minority that didn't care for the Kifaru gun bearer. It might be that it doesn't fit well with my kuiu pack, but I couldn't get used to the barrel being in my field of view and didn't trust the buckle to not come undone and dump my rifle on the ground.

I'm in the minority that didn't care for the Kifaru gun bearer. It might be that it doesn't fit well with my kuiu pack, but I couldn't get used to the barrel being in my field of view and didn't trust the buckle to not come undone and dump my rifle on the ground.

The one good thing about having the rifle in your field of view is snaking through heavy brush. Point the muzzle up in your pack and it catches on everything when you are crawling along. Point it down and it sticks in the dirt every time you ass plant.

If you didn't like the barrel buckle you could probably make your own that is more reliable. In fact, my main complaint is it costs a lot for what it really is. If you put your mind to it, you could probably make a better one for 5 bucks or so.

Worked:
-First Lite clothing system: I picked up a bunch of new clothes from First Lite last fall to replace my old Walmart cotton mossy oak camo. I got three top layers (two merino and one puffy) as well as two merno undies and their corrugate pants. They revolutionized my hiking and hunting experience this summer and fall. No stink and a bunch less sweat after putting on a lot of miles. Only downside is I could use a warmer bottom layer for tree stand sitting. This was supplemented with a blanket on colder days.
- REI Half-Dome 2: This has been my trusty tent for around 6 years now and hasn't let me down yet.
- Kelty RedCloud 110: This is the first fall that I've had the opportunity to pack animals out with this pack. Two whitetails and an antelope later I can say that it worked quite well. It's a bit of a drag to have to put them in the interior of the pack, but with garbage bags the pack wasn't stained or anything.

Sucked:
- My boots - I put on a lot of miles in WY this year after antelope and can say that I'm ready to upgrade my old Irish Setters. My feet killed me and I actually got a couple of blisters, which hasn't happened since I first got them.
- Backpacking Stove - I got this bad boy for like 5 bucks on Amazon during college and it has lasted well for the past 10 years. But now that I'm a grown adult I think it's time for an upgrade.
- Blackhawk Spec Ops pistol holster - I need to do some modifications to this or figure out a way to attach my pistol to my backpack hip belt. The velcro rubbed on my pants and created a bunch of pilling and the leg strap rode up to my scro. We'll see what comes of the modifications.
- Off-brand wool socks - I will get more name brand hiking socks. My one pair of Smartwools saw a lot of use and my off-brand ones got carried around a whole bunch.

Worked:

1.) Tenzing bird vest. I've been struggling to find an upland vest that fit my robust body style, and was comfortable for long walks after native birds. This one works well, fits nicely and has held up to a bit of abuse by myself.

2.) OnXMaps app: First season using exclusively the phone app and I'm lovin' it. The app crashes if you have too many maps saved, so you need to periodically maintain that, but it's been a great asset in the field, and in terms of researching.

3.) New pup: SHe's done better than I had expected, or deserved given the lack of training I gave her. Solid flushes on grouse & roosters. No fear, and 110% heart. She's going to be a great bird dog once her owner gets it together.

Didn't work:

1.) Time. I got out a lot for birds, but didn't for big game. Only 3 days for deer/elk. Passed on a few critters, but really wish I had budgeted my outdoor time better.

2.) Mid-season vacation. SWMBO won out there and I lost 11 days of the season.

Worked:
Trekking poles (generic Costco brand): Not sure I would have been able to get my deer out without them
Binos (Vortex Viper 10x50): Not high end, but a big improvement over my old Redfields.
Solid Copper Bullets (Nosler E-Tips): Very impressed with their accuracy and performance
Mapping Software (onX Maps): With Idaho's crappy new trespass law the onX Map system is indispensable.
Clothes (First Lite and Sitka mix): Been upgrading and swapping out pieces for a couple of years now and have yet to be disappointed by either company. Don't miss my cotton duds in the least.

Didn't Work:
Bino Pack (Vortex GlassPak): It's ok (comes free with the binos), but it's awfully noisy and the straps don't seem to stay adjusted properly.
Pack: Been using a lesser quality bag for a few years now--time to take the plunge and get a good one for next season.
My commitment to preseason fitness

Last edited:
Worked:
- Patagonia Rio Gallegos zip-front waders and Foot Tractor wading boots; hunting bears from a skiff on POW. They were a huge upgrade over my old waders for fishing too.
- First Lite SEAK jacket, also used a ton on POW.
Add: Steripen Classic; so much better than filtering as long as you have clear water to pull from.

Didn't:
- still struggling with FL's merino pants, they were the Obsidian's this time, and they just don't hold up. Only had them for about a year and they only saw about 10-15 days of hard wear. Super susceptible to rips.

Last edited:
Worked:
New MR Metcalf: 3 animals, hundreds of pounds of meat and it was a dream. Cleans up easily too. Could come with some waitband pouches, but I added those. Also put a Gun bearer on it which was so nice.

Cabelas Meindl Boots: Had since the spring, but they are just phenomenal. I added superfeet to them and the took a beating, but have stood up well. I put Obernaufs on them a few times this season.

Darn Tough Socks: Tried out one pair, went and bout 8 more. The Uncle Buck boot cushion. Wore them all the way down to freezing with no issues. Plus lifetime warranty on socks.

Sitka Duck Oven: Warmest thing I have ever worn. I sit in the duck blind and am so comfortable I have to worry about falling asleep.

Sitka Apex Set: In spring and early archery, this was my go to. So light and silent.

Inreach Mini: If you don't have something like this, I fear you will be a headline someday. This worked so well, minus a few bugs in the app. Shot a bull, texted my buddy, 3 hours later he is there helping to pack out. Worth it.

QAD Exodus Broadhead: complete pass through on all shots, but smaller blood trails than I'd like. Didn't loose an animal, but more blood would be nice. Still deciding on this one.

Didn't Work:

Rocky Mountain Diaphragm Calls: Used a few over the course of the season. I feel like they loose their tone quick, and I had to switch out to new ones. I went through 3 pink ones in 4 weeks of archery. I will be sampling others this year and seeing if there is something that will be more durable. I've use RMC for the past handful of years, but not satisfied with the past seasons performance.

Worked: Stone Glacier sky scraper tent and 6900 backpack
InReach
Cooper ST MAXX tires
The weight of a tikka t3
RxBars
I love honey stingers
Failed: Schnees Granite boots.

Worked:
Hawken 54 caliber, round balls, and black powder...30 yards whitetail doe
Savage 300WSM, Vortex HS-T 4-16, Nosler 180 grain E-tip...570 yards dialed on a cow elk
First Lite Tops and hats
PrAna pants
Off Grid backpack meals...crazy expensive but delicious
Gerber Vital with Havalon replacement blades
Exercise...cross training, trail running, hiking, mountaineering, etc had me in the best archery shape I've ever been. Gear means nothing if you can't get there.

Didn't work:
Traditions muzzleloader and Knight Bloodline Sabots...never could get them to hit the same place twice...I'd get them to shoot great groups but then they'd shoot 8 inches low so I would adjust at the range then I'd miss a deer at 100 yards...go to the range and it would be 10 inches left
Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite...none of the blades were actually sharp but luckily it wasn't mine

Not sure about:
Zamberlan Boots...something about these boots leaves me wanting more and sometimes get hotspots even after 6 months of wear
Sawyer 2 bag gravity filter...light but not very fast. I had to squeeze the main bag to make if faster...possibly user error
Caldwell pivoting bipod

Last edited:
Worked:
Garmin InReach Mini -- a great way to stay in touch, and keep peace of mind for everyone (it was great for my wife to know I was still alive, and for me to know everything was OK at home.) Such a solid little piece of gear. Hope to never use the SOS feature, but damn glad I have it just in case.

Easton FMJ 'retro pattern' arrows - heavy duty, great penetration, durable. An antelope buck didn't care for them much....

Darn Tough socks - I went with the Mountaineer version, and it was comfy, no hot spots, and kept my feet warm down to about 10° with stop and go hunting. I use them for all hunts (different weights), and love them.

12x50 binos - either on the tripod or handheld, the extra magnification was beneficial in all glassing sessions.

Crispi Thor boots - comfy, sturdy, light enough to wear on almost all hunts, but still used them during a cold November mule deer hunt. The primarily synthetic construction didn't retain moisture, and the stiff shank made side-hilling and off trail uphills easier.

OnX Maps on phone - been using this for a while now, but the new features and just more familiarity made it indispensable during the season. Also used it to find a new area that is very promising for mule deer.

Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets - very large spring bear taken...great round.

New for 2019 pack from MYSTERY RANCH......45 liters, Overload shelf plus a few very cool new design updates....stay tuned on this one!

What didn't work:
Lorpen socks - developed hotspots and underfoot bunching. No good for me.

The elk rut was a bit odd this year, but that is not something that is controllable; just need to hunt differently to overcome it....didn't happen for me this year.

Last edited:
Worked:
- Hawk treeseat. These are very handy in keeping mobile while still hunting! Very easy to setup and tear down. I found it very comfortable.
- onX app. This worked great! No new words for you on this app.
- prairie storm shells. These hammered everything that got in it's path!
Didn't work:
- South Dakota drawing system. Zero tags! Over 8 total preference points!
- MR Metcalf. Just simply didn't get tested! Rested in the man cave all season.

Sitka core heavyweight zip long sleeve. Used the shyte out of that on three hunts now. Best piece of clothing I've had. I'd almost pay full price for another one.

Fibrox semi stiff boning knife. 'nuff said.

Back