Gear Priority List

gdgwp

Spend my money!

I should have enough points for a general Wyoming elk tag next year. So I'm comparing my gear now to what I'll "need" next year. So I'd like help in setting the priority of my purchases. I could easily go today so these are just what items I should upgrade. Note: I've spent good money the past few years upgrading optics and boots. I've narrowed it down to four and these are in no order:

1) Rain gear - I have a Sitka Jetstream jacket, but am a little nervous about a bigger rain storm. Pants are the Timberlines. I'm thinking of either the First Lite Seak setup or Sikta Cloudburst.

2) Tent - I have a 3 season two many tent that is ok, but it's definately not made for backpacking. I'm likely hunting from the truck, but the idea of having my setup on my back and just chasing elk is gaining traction. Want: Stone Glacier 4-season tent.

3) Sleeping System - I have a garbage sleeping bag from high school and a marginal therma rest. I usually end up bringing extra blankets to add warmth and comfort. Want: Western Mountaineering 10 degree/Thermarest Neo

4) Backpack - I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 that's good for day hunts. It fits me a little wierd and is a little uncomfortable so I'm thinking of ebaying it and getting a bigger one. Want: Stone Glacier 3300

As you can see there's like 2,500 worth of gear here that is not happening in one purchase. If you had to rank these items, how would you do it? With Christmas, bdays, bonuses, etc coming I'm hoping to check a few off this list before next year! Thanks for the help.

Assuming you have the boots, optics and rifle/scope combo you are satisfied with, i would upgrade your sleeping system, then backpack. After that i would look at rain gear. For tent, I'm not sure which way you want to go. If you hunt from your truck or a 'basecamp', I'd look at something bigger just for comfort. If you are thinking backpack hunting, the SG is probably a good one, but you may be limited with the pack size you suggest above.

Thanks everyone! I have two different Danner options depending on the weather I'm expecting. I've worn these for a couple years and really like them. All good on optics, rifle & scope. I do not have a spotting scope, but thought these other purchases might be more important to upgrade first. Should I be looking at the 5900 if I'm wanting to get away from the truck for a few nights and bringing the sleeping set up with?

You should check out some after market Facebook groups or the classifieds here and in the rokslide forum. It's possible to cut that $2500 new list down to $1700-1800 used without sacrificing much in the way of quality.

I have SG's 5900 and I can cram enough in there for 10 days with my tent and pad strapped to the outside. I could probably even squeeze 12 days out of it without using the load cell/meat sling (an extra 2500") for food. I think a 3300 would work well enough for a 3 or 4 day trip. Their tent is also a fine piece of gear. Small enough packed for a backpack trip and roomy/comfortable enough to make it a good choice for truck camping as well. Very modular with all the accessories.

Bow/Earlier seasons? 4, 1, 3, 2

Mid-late rifle? 4, 3, 1, 2

I get by with a "cheap" waterproof wind breaker during earlier seasons, not quiet, but keeps me dry. If it looks like it's going to pour I just pitch my tarp where I am.

EDIT: I also get by with a cheap 0* bag from academy or walmart or something like that down to ~ -15*, but I pair is with an Xtherm MAX and it's money.

Also, that Jetstream will shed water really well. If you're going early season, I'd prob be ok with that. Also it is quieter than the cloudburst.

TBD. I’ll likely camp out of the truck until I feel comfortable with the unit. I would like the ability to go on a 2-3 night trip away from the truck to get in deeper.

If you are car camping then you can go with cheap but good REI bag/ pad. They will be comfy and warm but heavy.

From your list I would do the following...
1. Back pack... get the SG 5900, it's only like $50 more and these packs compress so much you can use it as a day pack. That's what I run and I use if for everything from spring turkeys and hiking in the summer, to multi-day backpacking elk hunts. (If I was to purchase one thing on your list it would be this bag.

2. Sleep system, I have the thermarest neoair xtherm... great pad, it's a bit narrow if you are a huge dude... I'm 6' 150lb. and I max it out... big agnes has great pads that are wider might go to REI and give them a look. Great bag, on my list as well... I have a marmot helium, which is great but western mountaineering are awesome (might go with a 0 degree bag if you can)

3. Rain gear, depends on the season you are hunting if you will get rain but rain gear is great for cutting the wind when you are glassing, keeping your dry in the snow, and walking through wet grass and brush . I would keep your eye on steep and cheap, backcountry outlet, and REI. You should be able to get decent pants in the $80-110 range from pagatonia, northface, marmot, mountain hardware. As for a jacket there is a wide range... for a wind breaker it will be rated "waterproofness" 10,000 and will run $100, CO/WY occasional down pour jacket 20,000 $200 (hyvent, goretex paclite, etc), and AK rain jacket 20,000+ or PVC coated rubber (High in gortex arc'teryx, or Gruedens/Helly Hansen) for truck hunting I would just go with a 10k rated jacket, for back packing in CO/ WY get a 20k rated jacket. If you are hunting in the spring or in AK I would go high end.

4. Tent, SG would be a good choice... I have a MSR hubba hubba which I love great tent + plus you can set it up with just the fly and poles and a ground cloth and in that configuration it weighs 2lbs. Big Agnes has great tents as well.

Someone mentioned boots and you said you had danners...have you packed an elk out wearing them? The reason is i loved my pronghorns until I put 100 pounds on my back.

I now wear a mountain boot with more support. Just thought I would share that.

I have not. I've added that to my list to upgrade. With all of your guy's help I think my priority list is:
1A. Backpack - SG 5900
1B. Boots - Kenetrek
2. Sleeping Bag
3. Rain Gear
4. Tent

I'll start at the top and work my way down! Thanks everyone.

Someone mentioned boots and you said you had danners...have you packed an elk out wearing them? The reason is i loved my pronghorns until I put 100 pounds on my back.

I now wear a mountain boot with more support. Just thought I would share that.

I've had Danner high grounds. 50 miles to break in/toughen up my feet in the right spots and it wore out the gore tex liner in one before the hunt. Great warranties don't mean diddly in wet snow on the first day of your trip. #NeverAgain

Your set-up just fine for Car camping, so I'll respond as if you are moving toward the 2-3 day pack trip.

1) pack. You just can't use that small of a pack for the 2-3 day trip. I would go with something in the MR Metcalf size or larger. The SG 5900 would do it.
2) Sleeping bag/Pad. Get a nice light warm bag and pair it with a good sleeping pad.
3) rain gear
4) tent.

I’m not the most well-versed with this stuff, but I absolutely love my Klymit Static V sleeping pad. I keep seeing them on Camofire and I like it so much, I’m always tempted to buy another

I have not. I've added that to my list to upgrade. With all of your guy's help I think my priority list is:
1A. Backpack - SG 5900
1B. Boots - Kenetrek
2. Sleeping Bag
3. Rain Gear
4. Tent

I'll start at the top and work my way down! Thanks everyone.

I would change that order around a little bit:
1A/B) Tent/Sleeping bag. I would make these your 2 priorities as without a good nights rest your hunt will be a failure from night one. I have a BA Copper Spur UL3 sleeps 2 guys very well and is super light, have used in 100degrees down to 0 with snow, rain, wind, hail etc. As far as the bag goes I have an Eureka 20degree bag, again have used from 100degrees to 0. I bought a merrino liner that I take if it is suppose to get cold.
3) Before you go out and get new boots just try the boots you have under some weight. I have friends with the same boots as yours and they love them
4) Pack is a good idea I have a SG EVO3300 and can get 8 days of everything I need for a backpack elk hunt in it. However I had a KUIU 1850 and bought a Pro5200 bag and this worked well. The SG is better for sure but you have a pack already and can get the 5200 bag and change them out.

I guess I'm one to not place boots that high on the list either. Should note that I've never spent more than $150 on boots. I've packed many a 90 lb loads on my Danners and never had a complaint. I'm also a a guy who will backpack in a pair of light trail running shoes over boots every day of the week. My hunting partner just did our three day backpack hunt in trail running shoes because he didn't want to carry the heavy boots. His feet got wet in the morning dew, but he said the comfort of the shoe outweighed the clumsiness of the heavier boot. He just packed a few extra pairs of socks to change into mid morning.

Point being.....you don't need the latest and greatest gear to do what you want. It's nice, but you can definitely get by with what you have or cheaper options, and add/upgrade gear as you go.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back