Caribou Gear Tarp

Mule Deer Foundation

I'll get on board with the Mule Deer Foundation when they start pushing MT FWP to manage them properly. From the conversations I've had with a few chapter presidents, its not a priority. Maybe someone that's a member can fill me in on what they do for mule deer in MT.

I'll get on board with the Mule Deer Foundation when they start pushing MT FWP to manage them properly. From the conversations I've had with a few chapter presidents, its not a priority. Maybe someone that's a member can fill me in on what they do for mule deer in MT.

They do some good projects in eastern MT, and they've been active at the legislature, working with other hunting/angling groups on access issues, wildlife funding, etc. I think they have 1 staffer in state, so it's tough to get out and rock & roll too much. They did just hire Steve Belinda as one of their national conservation directors, which is a solid move. Steve's a good guy & very strong conservationists from Wyoming, who worked on O&G issues in the Pinedale anticline for years, and is an avid outdoorsman.

They do some good projects in eastern MT, and they've been active at the legislature, working with other hunting/angling groups on access issues, wildlife funding, etc. I think they have 1 staffer in state, so it's tough to get out and rock & roll too much. They did just hire Steve Belinda as one of their national conservation directors, which is a solid move. Steve's a good guy & very strong conservationists from Wyoming, who worked on O&G issues in the Pinedale anticline for years, and is an avid outdoorsman.
Yes this is pretty accurate. I volunteer to help run the Fargo ND chapter. Our RD Marshall Johnson oversees parts of MT I believe.

ND is easy because we pretty much focus our efforts in the badlands. Most of our funding goes towards projects helping ranchers and in return giving access to hunters or enrolling in PLOTS.

I am a member but I waiver at times. The reason is Ron Ness, a MDF board member, is also the president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council. The advance of the petroleum industry in North Dakota hasn’t been in the best interest of our mule deer herd. I find myself wondering how someone can push to advance the petroleum industry in North Dakota to the extent he has, and maintain a seat on the MDF board.

I’m a member as they came to the Bakken for a fundraiser last fall that I went to. Buying a membership signed me up for a few raffles. I can’t say I know much about them honestly.

I am a member but I waiver at times. The reason is Ron Ness, a MDF board member, is also the president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council. The advance of the petroleum industry in North Dakota hasn’t been in the best interest of our mule deer herd. I find myself wondering how someone can push to advance the petroleum industry in North Dakota to the extent he has, and maintain a seat on the MDF board.
Cc: Don Thomas & DU

Not to mention that Ness has literally been an enemy of nearly all things conservation in the entire state. Especially if there is any perceived slight to the oil industry. I spoke to a member of the conservation community over Oil and Gas Development in the Badlands. He said the conservation reps were making an argument that some land in the National Grasslands should be off limits to drilling. Mind you, the National Grasslands and surrounding private lands are the only primary range for Mule Deer in North Dakota. He was talking less than 25% of it should be protected from oil and road development. Ness sat right in front of him and said "No, we want it all". Then he get's appointed to the MDF board?

When I found out MDF put Ness on their board I dropped my MDF membership faster than a lead shit.

(y) I agree with what you wrote. My membership has lapsed and I did not and likely will not renew. I attended that same meeting via phone. ;)

If I was a member or potential one, I'd be pushing for Ness to be ousted.

I don't think ousting Ness is going to get to the root of the problem. Any group that is comfortable having him on their board for as long as he's been on has deeper issues IMO. Brock pointed out above how Ron is viewed among conservationists within the state where he resides and serves as the President of the North Dakota Petroleum Council. Ron and his cronies want nothing more than to build roads, drill holes, and extract all the oil and gas from ND that they can. Transfer of public lands? Yup, they are supporters of that too. Wildlife and conservation be damned!

There has been a lot of outcry on this forum about SFW and the Utah Hunt Expo raffle tags and proceeds. However when I go to the Hunt Expo webpage I see it's hosted by SFW and MDF. Have things changed with SFW and the Expo? Is MDF doing good work from their participation?

I have a hard time with the SFW connection, not to mention my distaste for wholesale auction tags in general. I am not speaking out both sides of my mouth with that because I disagree with them for groups I am member of also, for example WSF.
In short the whole association with the Expo and SFW keeps me away.

Well... crap 💩. I live in Spokane, and am originally from Montana. I have been a member of RMEF for over 20 years, since high school. I really want to get more involved with a group doing good work out here in the scablands. My students, and a few other local groups are starting some work with Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife on shrub steppe rehabilitation. A big focus is Sage grouse, but I really want to tie in other groups. This is disheartening. I was hoping MDF might be the answer. Mule deer hunting is right there with elk for me, and I see real potential here.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back