Mule Deer Foundation

Brian in Montana

I realize in Montana, elk is King, but I gotta admit I really like mule deer and everything thing about them. I've probably had more really good memories of mule deer hunts than any other species. I am probably going to join.

bigsky2

I'll get on board with the Mule Deer Foundation when they start pushing MT FWP to manage them properly. From the conversations I've had with a few chapter presidents, its not a priority. Maybe someone that's a member can fill me in on what they do for mule deer in MT.

Ben Lamb

I'll get on board with the Mule Deer Foundation when they start pushing MT FWP to manage them properly. From the conversations I've had with a few chapter presidents, its not a priority. Maybe someone that's a member can fill me in on what they do for mule deer in MT.
They do some good projects in eastern MT, and they've been active at the legislature, working with other hunting/angling groups on access issues, wildlife funding, etc. I think they have 1 staffer in state, so it's tough to get out and rock & roll too much. They did just hire Steve Belinda as one of their national conservation directors, which is a solid move. Steve's a good guy & very strong conservationists from Wyoming, who worked on O&G issues in the Pinedale anticline for years, and is an avid outdoorsman.

NDGuy

They do some good projects in eastern MT, and they've been active at the legislature, working with other hunting/angling groups on access issues, wildlife funding, etc. I think they have 1 staffer in state, so it's tough to get out and rock & roll too much. They did just hire Steve Belinda as one of their national conservation directors, which is a solid move. Steve's a good guy & very strong conservationists from Wyoming, who worked on O&G issues in the Pinedale anticline for years, and is an avid outdoorsman.
Yes this is pretty accurate. I volunteer to help run the Fargo ND chapter. Our RD Marshall Johnson oversees parts of MT I believe.

ND is easy because we pretty much focus our efforts in the badlands. Most of our funding goes towards projects helping ranchers and in return giving access to hunters or enrolling in PLOTS.

Schism

I am a member but I waiver at times. The reason is Ron Ness, a MDF board member, is also the president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council. The advance of the petroleum industry in North Dakota hasn’t been in the best interest of our mule deer herd. I find myself wondering how someone can push to advance the petroleum industry in North Dakota to the extent he has, and maintain a seat on the MDF board.

Jbotto

I’m a member as they came to the Bakken for a fundraiser last fall that I went to. Buying a membership signed me up for a few raffles. I can’t say I know much about them honestly.