MT side of the Beaverheads (321)?

jryoung

Has anyone hunted or hiked in the various drainages in the Beaverheads? I'm trying to find a location that won't overload my Dad in terms of covering ground since he has a back back/hips.

Looking at various topo maps it seems the heart of most of the drainages are a slow and steady incline and not a bunch of up and down. If you've been there is what I'm seeing on a map correct? Is there a bunch of dense, low vegitation making movement difficult?

I've only got one weekend to scout in August, so I'm hoping I can narrow my choices to one or two spots by then, but map hounding Google Earth can only go so far.

If you have any feedback, I'd be grateful, PM me if you like.

Been there, doing that (along with gmaps4 and FS/BLM maps). Was hoping for someone who's been there to confirm or let me know that while the contour looks good, dense vegitation, blow downs streams or other on the ground impediments make it difficult to navigate.

jryoung,

I've hunted elk and moose in several of the drainages in the area you're looking as well as inspected a bunch of contract stand exams in there. Generally, the country is not real steep until you get up toward the Idaho line. There isnt much at all for dense brush, but a vast majority of the unit is covered in lodgepole pine forests. The cutting units in there can get dense with thick lodgepole regeneration. Also, the more mature stands of lodgepoles can be pretty dense with sub-alpine fir regeneration (in particular on the north slopes).

I havent been in much of the country for a number of years, but I didnt run into an unmanageable amount of blowdown. In general the trails in the major drainages are quite good, some in the area were improved in the late 1990's.

If you're a NR going to hunt there, and have the combo license, DO NOT leave your fishing gear at home. Many of the lakes in there are absolutely great fishing...as in cutthroat 20-25 inches. The largest cutthroat I've ever caught have come from that area. In one lake in particular, I caught 20-30 fish in an evening. I kept the smallest one I caught...17 inches and a football. I turned loose cutthroat that day well over 5 pounds...most were all over 20 inches and the biggest I caught was just shy of 25 inches. Also, most all the creeks in there are loaded with brook trout that are very easy to catch.

I havent hunted down there for a number of years, so cant give you any information regarding the elk numbers or even recommend a particular drainage, but they all can and do hold elk.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Buzz, that's great to hear about the fishing....sounds like a good mid-day time killer before the evening hunt. I like the aspect of sizeable roadless areas...which is why I'm looking across the valley to the West Pioneers too. But, my condundrum is my Dad so I'm trying to find a magic happy zone of mild country (drainage/valley bottoms) and decent hunting. As long as I don't give him a lot of hard climbing or up and downs he's okay. Not necessarily the best combination for success, but you gotta deal with the hand your delt, and I'll take bad hunting in good country over not hunting any day of the week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back