Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT or WY General Units?

gwm

Hi,

Awesome site and really enjoy the show.

Wondering which state has better General Unit hunting in terms of opportunity, hunter numbers and quality?

Hope to do an archery hunt and possibly the follow-up rifle.

Thanks,

greg

If you're wanting to do bow then rifle then WY will prob be a better option since you can use the same tag for both and just have to but a $30 archery stamp. WY will be a littler harder to get tags though, hunter numbers I can't speak to since I have yet to hunt either state but I believe that MT has the 2nd most elk hunters behind CO, someone else might be able to verify that though. Quality is a matter of opinion if you ask me, but all states can produce big bulls even in the general areas from what I've seen from pics and stuff, just have to hunt hard to find him.

Last edited:
If you're wanting to do bow then rifle then WY will prob be a better option since you can use the same tag for both and just have to but a $30 archery stamp. WY will be a littler harder to get tags though, hunter numbers I can't speak to since I have yet to hunt either state but I believe that MT has the 2nd most elk hunters behind CO, someone else might be able to verify that though. Quality is a matter of opinion if you ask me, but all states can produce big bulls even in the general areas from what I've seen from pics and stuff, just have to hunt hard to find him.

You can go bow and also rifle in MT as well.

You can go bow and also rifle in MT as well.

Naaa, Montana is a loss... All the wolves, Mtn lions and Griz everywhere.

Tell ya, Colorado is the land of elk and deer - Archery and Rifle! You can rest your rifle right on the ATV handlebars... WHILE you burn a legal doobie. ;)

Tell ya, Colorado is the land of elk and deer - Archery and Rifle! You can rest your rifle right on the ATV handlebars... WHILE you burn a legal doobie. ;)

Funny !!!!

I've found great spots in both states on a general tag.I think Mt. has the better chance at a big bull on a general tag though.problem with Wy. is a nr can't hunt wilderness without a guide.Terrain is much easier in my Wy. spot.Pretty much a toss up between those 2 states but you are guaranteed a license in Mt

Actually.... I believe that if you read the Colorado regulations..... you can not be touching any part of the motorized vehicle when you shoot. Just read the regs last fall. I may be wrong.

good luck to all
the dog

I think that not being able to hunt wilderness puts MT in front of WY as a DIY state.

Eh???

What percentage of Montana elk kills do you estimate are shot in wilderness areas each year?

Wilderness is one of the most overrated and overused terms in the hunting vocabulary. There are plenty of places just as wild and untouched in MT that do not have a wilderness designation...on the other hand, have you ever been to a Bob Marshall trailhead the day before backcountry opener? Its a complete goatfu#. "Wilderness" status by itself does not mean great hunting...each hunting spot must be evaluated on its merits.

I have to agree with that. I live minutes from access to a very large wilderness area. There's better hunting that's easier to get to before the boundary, and on the other side of the valley. mtmuley

Greg, crowds in WY general areas can be overwhelming and the hunt can be very tuff. Don’t expect tagging out without a lot of time and effort. General is very temping, but depending on the cost of your logistics, I’d recommend going for limited areas. Now, with that said, its beautiful country and the adventure in my opinion is worth the effort.

Thanks for the intell. I am asking about elk and should have stated that in the original question. I haven't hunted MT or applied there but have heard good and bad about the isolated mountain ranges. Good elk numbers but lots of hunters and somewhat limited access. Are these worth looking into (Castles, Crazies, Big and Little Belts) or should I research other areas?

Thanks again,

greg

I've bowhunted the Big Belts for years, and I have enjoyed many days without even seeing another hunter, especially weekdays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back