Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT hunter accused of shooting bison on private property

Ithaca 37

Not a good idea to shoot a bison when you're being filmed by the Buffalo Field Campaign, even if you're legal. Why provide them with a propaganda video to put on youtube? Personally, I'd lead them on a wild goose chase first while I scouted my bison, to get them too tired to hold their camera up, then tell them it looks like we're not going to have any luck today, boys, before going off alone to do the shooting.

Maybe some of our MT members have some thoughts on how to shoot a bison with a minimum of harrassment and publicity? Or is it not possible, given where the bison are?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

WEST YELLOWSTONE, Mont. (AP) -- A Montana hunter has been cited for allegedly killing a bison on private property.

The citation was issued Tuesday morning in the Yellowstone Village and Estates subdivision, said Sam Sheppard, warden captain for the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Sheppard would not release the man's name because the citation had not yet been filed in Justice Court.

The agency seized the bull bison the man shot, Sheppard said.

"We felt, given the circumstances in the field, this requires us to give a citation and seize this bison," he said.

The incident was filmed by members of the Buffalo Field Campaign, a bison advocacy group.

The hunter and three bull bison were on land in the Horse Butte area that belongs to the Munz brothers, a ranching family from Idaho, said Stephany Seay, Buffalo Field Campaign spokeswoman.

The man had permission to hunt there, agency spokeswoman Mel Frost said.

He shot at the animals, and one of the bison jumped a fence into the Yellowstone Village and Estates, Seay said. The man then shot again, killing the animal, she said.

Ed Millspaugh, president of the Yellowstone Estates Homeowners Association, said residents there have made it known they do not want bison hunting on their property.

"You have to have permission to hunt on private property prior to hunting on private property," Sheppard said.

The man posted a $135 bond. He does not face the loss of his hunting privileges if convicted, Sheppard said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-01-24-09-54-58

Almost impossible. Scads of doped out hippies looking out to protect the giant furry beast from the cruel misguided white-man hunters. The bison come out of the park in very obvious places.

He shot it on private property and was filmed doing it. He doesn't have a prayer of the charges being dropped.

Well, I'm assuming he hit it with the first shot, which it was not on private property. Or, he at least thought he may have hit it with the first shot, in which case, shooting again would be the right thing to do, whether it's on the wrong side of the fence or not. (ethically anyway)

Sounds like he broke the law to me. Ethically he did the right thing? I don't know. I don't know what the Estates subdivision looks like. Did he put people at risk by shooting into a subdivision?

This guy was shooting a bison. I would hope he had thought about the chance this one ton critter might not drop in it's tracks. If this critter was that close to an area closed to hunting he should have thought about the repercussions before he took the first shot.

There is not enough information in this article to know if he did the ethical thing. Could be someones backyard next to the swing set.;) It is obvious from the article that by shooting the animal on private land closed to hunting, he broke the law.

ME TWO CENTS

Yep he did break the law and you're right, there's not enough information in the article to make a judment on this. He was definitely stupid for taking a risky shot like that with a video camera pointed at him. But give him a break, he's a Montanan. :)

Sounds like everything that could go wrong -did. A perfectly-scripted senerio, heaven-sent to that buffalo advocacy group to film. The 'Buffalo Feild Campaign' was probably also set up and filming to make sure nobody hurts any of their pets -wolves included.
This wouldn't be the first time I've heard that "a buffalo takes a little bit more than a lot" to put one down quickly. Hope the guy had a permit at least.

A Montana hunter gives a 'wily' buffalo the coup de gras under little Suzy's swingset and no Texas slam from 280?!

Incredible...

Yep, no way to avoid the fern feelers down there if you got a buffalo permit, just got to grin and bear the fact that this one ton furred critter which would stomp a mud-hole in any one of the bunny huggers asses, they feel needs protection from the horrible man with the gun.

Only thing you can do is hope to slide under their radar or that once you do get one down, that you have enough self control not to knock a treehugger on it's ass when it jabs at you with a ski pole.

Not enough info in this article to tell whether the guy did the right thing and broke the law, or just flat broke the law.

"Personally, I'd lead them on a wild goose chase first while I scouted my bison, to get them too tired to hold their camera up, then tell them it looks like we're not going to have any luck today, boys, before going off alone to do the shooting."

I'd slip into their camp while they where out harasing hunters, and put 20 boxes of ex-lax in their pot of lentels. Don't think they would be much of a problem the following day.

You gotta kill 'em where they are. Apparently his biggest mistake was not using enough gun, and/or his marksmanship isn't up to par. Can't really blame the guy for trying. If I had what I assume is a once-in-a-lifetime tag (correct me if I'm wrong,) I may have done the exact same thing. Sounds like there weren't a lot of choices of places to hunt. I think I'd of been shooting something like a 300 Ultra Mag and would've thumped him hard with a 180 grain x bullet through both shoulders, I bet he wouldn't have taken more than one step before going down. Wouldn't that have impressed the animal rights weirdos? :D

Dang that last shot.....dumb.

If I was to hunt those buffs. I would drop off several bags of laced weed, brownies and phish tickets at the BFC headquarters the day before my hunt. Then I would have the woods to myself the next day with no cameras.

I have to agree with mtmiller, poor decision about the location, but nothing wrong with the first three shots, seem to be all legal. Last shot, it was the right thing to do, but illegal none the less. IMHO this is where the F&G boys need to not look at everything in black and white.

Must say I after being on the website link and glancing at some of the topics, I feel dirty..... bunch of whackos.

My Dad was down at Gardner over the past weekend with a buddy of his who'd drawn a cow tag. Haven't heard how they did, will post the results of how their hunt went.

I might be full of shi!! but isn't there a law that says if you wound an animal you have the right to pursue it and finish it off. I think in Nebraska but I could be wrong. I will have to look and see. Anyhow I think I would of done just what washington said use a large caliber throw a x or TSX in the shoulder and down buff. But I still can't condone anything he did I would of done same thing if my buff were running away. But mine wouldn't of. HAPPY HUNTING

Do they give the Bison hunters tips on shot placement? I heard they do on the South Dakota hunts. From what I hear, a properly place head shot will drop one in his tracks even with a .243. Lot's of subdivided recreational land around Horse Butte can make a Bison hunt in that area a real cluster. Welcome to the new west.

Looks like the guy didn't keep his head on straight once he started shooting. Not bad for the first few, but he forgot about the emotions that run high with these hunts. Unfortunately he shoulda let the wounded animal crawl up to someone's porch and bleed out rather than shooting over that fence line. Then he would probably have his animal and the Yellowstone Estates people wouldn't have had their chance to be a-holes.

how do you know the fourth shot was a hit? or even if the bullet crossed the fence?

a quick demostartion of the speed of sound will show that the animal fell from the third shot and not the fourth.....at least you could make that arguement.
i could beat that charge, no problem.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back