im ebarrased to be a hunter in montana(RANT)

So I am going to continue this vent a little. Our farm in NC Montana is a small grain farm. Not really a destination hunting spot but I do get some calls or texts and we do generally let anyone that asks hunt. In fact, our UPS driver shot a pretty nice whitetail on ours Friday. This rant is on the rest of the weekend. You know it is getting down to the wire to road hunt those rutty bucks. We had folks driving all over hell. I was at Cat/Griz so wasn't policing but come on folks. You know where you are. Have the decency to ask or just keep moving. What this will probably result in us closing our land to only friends and family and posting the hell out of it. It just pisses me off.

Last edited:
I think there is way to many issues to say it is just one, I think Resident hunters that think it is there state and land and they can do whatever they want, combined with NR to high strung and stressed wanting to fill a tag because there states hunting sucks. I think more training and fathers when were young will help but if your a POS then your a POS. I find it very difficult to do something illegal while hunting and fishing. These people know what there doing and they don't care.

Also it does not help when you see this people with 50 moose and 100 elk heads in these wild poaching schemes get a slap on the wrist with a $5,000 fine and community service. Fines should be way higher and easier to lose privileges for sure.

I am originally from WA and they usually require military service or a 4 year bachelors degree for Game Warden Jobs. Most LE jobs are high school required only and a stronger resume could help but is not required. However with our political climate and hatred of police in society and main stream media, I don't think were gonna see a rise in people wanting to get into any aspect of LE anytime soon. IMO they should do more job training and legal stuff instead of a 4 year bachelor degree. I have a 2 year Criminal Justice degree and 99% of the classes were a waste of time and BS. Especially when the campus staff where's BLM shirts and your Introduction to Policing class is being taught by a Defense Attorney who only talked about corruption. I don't need my Game Warden to be able to name every flower in the field, I need them to stop bad guys from bringing a bad name onto us Hunters and these courts need to hold people accountable.

Several years ago during a ten day elk hunt in Idaho we witnessed guys shooting at elk from the highway into private land river bottom; a cow and calf elk shot and left to rot; a fence cut so some guy could get his ATV through; and a group of several guys tearing up a posted hiking trail with ATVs. It’s not just a Montana issue. I don’t know what the solution is but education and stepped up enforcement seem like good ideas.
More strict punishment. Higher fines, also jail time and loss of priveledges for second time offenders... or first timers if they are blatant offenses.
I would be a very unpopular king.😁

Our system has somehow turned the process upside down.
It seemed that in the past people hunted a spot and applied for a tag for their spot.
More often now days people apply for a tag and then hunt for a spot.
I see people researching access and landowners after the permit comes in. Or districts that the regs themselves say limited access. Then people get frustrated when they draw the permit and hunt the district because they couldn’t get on.

I sometimes wonder if block management has made the situation worse. I support the program but has it made people lazy in that they believe they always have access?

a rant about hunters, and i am one,,,,

the number of law breaking hunters i see virtually everday is sad,,

from the phesant hunters walking on county rds shooting roosters that flush from the ditch

or jumping out of trucks to ground sluice them in the snow, private land or my driveway, doesent matter
i called 3 landowners last week, tell them you have guys tresspassing and deer hunting,,,
there like, im so tired of this crap,,,,theres no end, i cant even get permission to hunt there,
honestly i dont even like to ask anymore,,,

the deer hunters driving any were they like block mgmt or private, dont matter, chasing deer shooting out of vehicles, trespassing and shooting on private,,,

i work with hundreds of landowners over the years for easements, last week a guy told me he had 28 calls one day for permission, he said no everytime, and is still chasing people off his land,,,
heard this many many times this year

i use tip mont, warden number is in my phone

were does it end,, were do people become so entitled they feel they can do whatever they want

if wardens were increased 10 fold today, would it help,,,,if every sheriff deputy was a reserve warden , and could be hired with a pool of money, to help with citations for tge top 5 violations would that be a deterrent?
any suggestions , thoughts, or let it be,,,,

end of rant,,, thks for listening, or not,,
Ditch parrots are an invasive species.

Man, I couldn't agree more. As the population of the state keeps increasing I see no end of b.s. Definitely plenty of fuel for the anti hunting crowd unfortunately. Several times each year I am completely disgusted with what I see, both from non residents and residents alike. I've called in multiple times to the authorities and usually nothing comes from it which is unfortunate. I do think it would help if we had more wardens/ law enforcement but I also feel there needs to be much harsher penalties for those who choose to break the laws.

a rant about hunters, and i am one,,,,

the number of law breaking hunters i see virtually everday is sad,,

from the phesant hunters walking on county rds shooting roosters that flush from the ditch

or jumping out of trucks to ground sluice them in the snow, private land or my driveway, doesent matter
i called 3 landowners last week, tell them you have guys tresspassing and deer hunting,,,
there like, im so tired of this crap,,,,theres no end, i cant even get permission to hunt there,
honestly i dont even like to ask anymore,,,

the deer hunters driving any were they like block mgmt or private, dont matter, chasing deer shooting out of vehicles, trespassing and shooting on private,,,

i work with hundreds of landowners over the years for easements, last week a guy told me he had 28 calls one day for permission, he said no everytime, and is still chasing people off his land,,,
heard this many many times this year

i use tip mont, warden number is in my phone

were does it end,, were do people become so entitled they feel they can do whatever they want

if wardens were increased 10 fold today, would it help,,,,if every sheriff deputy was a reserve warden , and could be hired with a pool of money, to help with citations for tge top 5 violations would that be a deterrent?
any suggestions , thoughts, or let it be,,,,

end of rant,,, thks for listening, or not,,
I am sorry that you are having to deal with all these people breaking the law. I am in Mississippi and I have to deal with people deer hunting with dogs and the dogs trespass onto my land and there is nothing that I can do about it. I guess everyone has problems.

Seriously, when did hunter respect for property rights end like it is today? Its so appalling and the ONLY way I see it being reversed is increasing penalties for trespass and illegal hunting such it freaking HURTS to do so. Monetary, loss of equipment used (weapons, vehicles, etc.) and license suspension for several years that is reciprocal to other states. Enforce what is there to fullest extent as well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back