Mt elk/deer deadline 3/15/2014

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would remind guys who are interested that the Montana elk and deer application deadline is coming up in two weeks. Here is the link to get your app in before the deadline.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/newDeadline/

I would argue that the Montana general archery tag is the best general archery tag in the country. Add up the facts that it can be had with pretty much 100% draw odds, super long seasons, lots of public land, and a lot of older age bulls taken, and you have a great hunting opportunity.

You can apply for the limited archery tags in eastern and central Montana and if you don't draw, have all of the general units that comprise most of the state. Add to that, the fact you get 6 weeks of archery, followed by 5 weeks of rifle, and you have a tag that provides the greatest amount of opportunity you can find in any elk tag.

I know the MT guys are going to hammer me for posting this, but part of my job is to help poeple find good public land hunting opportunities. Our archery tag falls into the category of really good, and sometimes, great. I hunt every western state, have had an elk tag in most all of them, and from my perspective, Montana has the best mix of easy to draw, long season, and elk quality.

In Montana, most the elk are higher during September. In the west, higher means more public ground. As weather and hunting pressure drive elk lower, the private land issues start to enter the equation, given western valleys and foothills have a higher percentage of private land.

I just did my app the other day and realized they changed some of the hunt codes. A lot of the archery hunt codes have changed.

A lot of people think Montana is just an opportunity state. With the ease of drawing the tag that provides 6 weeks of archery, followed by 5 weeks of rifle, that is an easy conclusion to draw.

Yet, if you look at the B&C record book entries for 2008 through 2013, you will see that Montana is a lot more than just an opportunity state. Look at the chart on the screen shot shown below.

B&C elk since 2008.jpg

Amazing that we provide so much opportunity, yet can still grow big bulls. A lot of guys will say those entries all came from private or limited entry units. Nope, the majority were from public land in general units. Because we have decided to limit motorized access in our areas where elk are most vulnerable, we can still have long seasons, ample tag numbers, and still grow older bulls.

I hope you all draw your limited entry tag and you come to Montana and shoot the bull of your dreams. They are out there. Just don't tell everyone, especially the guys who say the wolves ate them all. Someone forgot to tell a lot of the Hunt Talkers that the wolves at them, given how many big Montana bulls show up on this website every year.

Best of luck in your draws.

This May will be my first time to set foot in Montana. While I will primarily be looking for bears, I hope to pin some spots down for elk for 2015 and/or beyond.. Can't wait to see those mountains.

So, say I want to come to MT and shoot an elk with my bow. Any elk, cow or bull. I have 2 weeks. In Sept. What do I apply for? And where is the most likely place to do this? Keep in mind, any legal elk, no trophy required. Public land, no guide, hike in to hunt, camp at or near hunting area. What do I need for tag, permit and/or license?

So, say I want to come to MT and shoot an elk with my bow. Any elk, cow or bull. I have 2 weeks. In Sept. What do I apply for? And where is the most likely place to do this? Keep in mind, any legal elk, no trophy required. Public land, no guide, hike in to hunt, camp at or near hunting area. What do I need for tag, permit and/or license?

Go on line at the link I provided. Apply for the Elk Combo tag and if past history is any indicator, you have 100% draw odds. You can then hunt any general area in Montana (the majority of the state). You can hunt it for the six weeks of archery and then come back and hunt the five weeks of rifle.

You will want to check and make sure of the allowed archery harvest in each unit. Some are any elk, some are bulls only, and some are branch-antlered bulls only. In many of the areas of central and eastern Montana, you can get a second tag for a cow elk.

If you want to apply for a unit closer to your home in Dakota, apply for one of the limited entry archery units, like 900-20 and if you draw, you can hunt a lot of eastern and central Montana, plus any of the general units in the remainder of the state.

To do all of this, you only need to apply for the Elk Combo tag. If you want to hunt deer, also, apply for the Deer/Elk Combo tag and you will get both a deer and an elk tag.

Good luck.

Still on the fence this year, I think I may just try for a B tag in June, if I get it, awesome, if not then I may opt for the combo at that time.

Trying to manage expenses somewhat this year since I'm rebuilding my house....then again I may need a week in the lodgepoles to keep my sanity come Sept/Oct.

Still on the fence this year, I think I may just try for a B tag in June, if I get it, awesome, if not then I may opt for the combo at that time.

Trying to manage expenses somewhat this year since I'm rebuilding my house....then again I may need a week in the lodgepoles to keep my sanity come Sept/Oct.

I'm right there with ya. We'll see what the Nevada draw turns out for me, then go from there.

I'm in Big Fin! Just got back from Africa and ready to hit again with family this year. Extremely happy to not have to miss another season. I'm not hoping to draw anything just build points but other then the Breaks or Elkhorns what are some other districts to put in for as a non- resident?

...... I'm not hoping to draw anything just build points but other then the Breaks or Elkhorns what are some other districts to put in for as a non- resident?

I would say most any district east of Highway 191 as it runs from Big Timber to Malta. Or, any unit east of Billings. Most have private land issues, but in most of those units you will find some good elk land to hunt. If you hit the jackpot and get one of the rifle tags, you will have a really good hunt. Or, if you draw the archery tag, you will have a good time, also, just enjoying that good time with more of our fellow hunters.

I sure wish the Montana deadline - and those of a bunch of other states - was after the AZ draw results were out. I was thinking this might be the year I try Montana, but my wife's company cut payroll and she lost her job last week. I don't know if that means no NR apps this spring yet or not. We had a deal that I was going to chase elk at least once a year as long as I'm physically able, but a long trek for what might turn into Bow Hiking instead of Bow Hunting and a grand in tag fees might be past the tipping point. I need to get crunching numbers.

I don't suppose Montana has helpful folks like CO who help you try to plan a hunt, do they?

I'm about 10 days from the March 15th deadline from being a legal resident. I will just by a resident combo license before the spring bear season, and plan to hunt general opens units in region 1 for deer/elk and 3 for elk only. Hoping to get my first ever Montana elk.

Do you think Montana is going to have left over tags this year ?

I've been reviewing my drawing strategy this year, and I might as well get a lotto ticket, win millions and buy a landowner atg.

I've been reviewing my drawing strategy this year, and I might as well get a lotto ticket, win millions and buy a landowner atg.

Yup.
I'm trying to decide if it's really worth it to build points in Montana or just buy a leftover tag after the draws are concluded. I've got 4 or 5 elk points now, but am I actually close to drawing?

Absolutely, there would have to be a monumental shift of NRs heading to MT in order for all Combos to get sold. I think in the past two years the number of general tags after the draw was around 4000 each year with those numbers closing in on zero by October.

If you plan on hunting general and not drawing/bonus no reason to buy now if you have other draws pending.

Full regulations went up on the site this morning.

WB- You might know a guy that could point you in the right direction. A "Big" guy! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back