PEAX Equipment

MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

Shifting slightly to a different point in the same vein of thought, I can’t comprehend the sentiment that has been expressed several times by people who say Montanans should experience hunting in a state with really bad hunting so we can appreciate what we have.

That’s kind of the whole point of why so many on this thread are so salty. Many of us have experienced what passes for “opportunity” in other states. We don’t want it here. That’s the reason so many hunters from states with worse management come to MT.

A guy thrilled with shooting a 3 1/2 year old mule deer that scores 130” because he’s only seen 1 1/2” year old spikes and forkies in his home state isn’t exactly the standard that responsible game mangers should be setting for themselves.

The attitude among some mangers that MT will always sell out their tags and there will be people waiting in line because their states are worse is terrible, especially when it comes from the top.

I don’t expect the hunters who don’t know any better to have higher expectations. That’s the responsibility of the professionals we hire to make the best biological decisions they can for the health of wildlife populations.
I wasn't trying to insinuate that, but simply as a tongue and cheek explanation for some NR opinions.

I'm sure there's a good reason why everyone's choosing to bite their tongue at this point, but I'm too dumb to know what that reason is, so here's what I know-

-Each regional biologist was sent a list from Director Worsech of what changes need to be proposed for this winter's biannual season setting process. If they do not make these changes, they need to defend to him why they can't make that change.

-Individual hunting districts will be lumped into much larger regional districts, that will be uniform across species.

-These regional districts will need simplified, blanket regulations.

-If there are limited entry districts within these regions that are largely general units, those areas that are now limited entry will go general (I.E. 324 and 300 mule deer will now be part of much larger general mule deer units). CWD travels faster in trophy districts so those will be leaned away from.

-All unlimited permits will be removed.

-All sub-units will be removed.

-All permits with less than 50 tags are to be removed.

-There will be no more "attached" opportunities like the B/C WMA tags, antelope doe tags that are offered to buck tag holders, etc.

-All permits/B tags will be district/region wide, so no public land only, private land only restrictions. If it's a shoulder season HD, then you can hunt anywhere within that HD with a shoulder season tag.

-The permit only areas that are kept will be lumped into much larger permit only areas. Think Sapphire range mule deer permit rather than 270, 261, etc, or Missouri river breaks elk permit rather than 621, 622, 631, 632 etc.

I've also heard rumors that there's a push to go general bull elk hunting in all of these new HD's that are over objective, but I'm not that positive on that one.
That pretty much sounds like a terrible idea across the board.

I pay taxes on my property. It is my God given Constitutionally protected right to make the management decisions on my private land. I feed the critters and they can feed me. My deeded 20,000, 10,000, 1000, 640, 150, 20, 10, 5, 2 1/2 acres is mine to control.
It works in Texas and they have Axis deer, Blackbuck antelope and wild hogs to boot….

I pay taxes on my property. It is my God given Constitutionally protected right to make the management decisions on my private land. I feed the critters and they can feed me. My deeded 20,000, 10,000, 1000, 640, 150, 20, 10, 5, 2 1/2 acres is mine to control.
It works in Texas and they have Axis deer, Blackbuck antelope and wild hogs to boot….
Last year with all the grasshoppers I was considering flooding the whole 5 acres and stocking non native Brown trout.
Pretty certain Jersey Greg would sign off on that...pooey on water rights and other such stuff.

Last year with all the grasshoppers I was considering flooding the whole 5 acres and stocking non native Brown trout.
Pretty certain Jersey Greg would sign off on that...pooey on water rights and other such stuff.
Want to lease fishing rights me? Let’s throw some snakeheads and pike in there to spice it up.

I'm sure there's a good reason why everyone's choosing to bite their tongue at this point, but I'm too dumb to know what that reason is, so here's what I know-

-Each regional biologist was sent a list from Director Worsech of what changes need to be proposed for this winter's biannual season setting process. If they do not make these changes, they need to defend to him why they can't make that change.

-Individual hunting districts will be lumped into much larger regional districts, that will be uniform across species.

-If there are limited entry districts within these regions that are largely general units, those areas that are now limited entry will go general (I.E. 324 and 300 mule deer will now be part of much larger general mule deer units). CWD travels faster in trophy districts so those will be leaned away from.

-There will be no more "attached" opportunities like the B/C WMA tags, antelope doe tags that are offered to buck tag holders, etc.

-All permits/B tags will be district/region wide, so no public land only, private land only restrictions. If it's a shoulder season HD, then you can hunt anywhere within that HD with a shoulder season tag.

-The permit only areas that are kept will be lumped into much larger permit only areas. Think Sapphire range mule deer permit rather than 270, 261, etc, or Missouri river breaks elk permit rather than 621, 622, 631, 632 etc.

I've also heard rumors that there's a push to go general bull elk hunting in all of these new HD's that are over objective, but I'm not that positive on that one.

I can't wait

There’s enough innocuous content in that list that can be passed without harming the resource and might help simplify management to mask the parts that will fundamentally change the direction and quality of wildlife management in Montana for a long time.

“It’s just a simple bill that will clean up archaic language… and add OTC tags for any NR’s booked with an outfitter who didn’t draw.”

“We need to pass the bill before we understand the bill so we can know what’s in the bill…”

Or, something like

To keep this productive, I think what @Big Fin and @Ben Lamb brought up is key. Filling out the FWP form letter is close to useless, and tearing into the local bios at these meetings might feel good, especially because they're going to be marched in front of the firing squad and forced to defend this stuff. All comments need to be directed at the governor, the director, and the commission. These are political, social management choices.

As someone who is peripherally involved in wildlife management and interacts with FWP personnel, i'll say there has been a huge drop in morale at the agency with the new admin. They are keenly aware that this governor does not like FWP, and is not interested in scientifically informed management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back