MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else hearing the reports that FWP is being told by the Director (Governor) that a huge restructure of hunting districts, hunt types, season types, and a lot of other things are coming out for public comment this month?

I've heard many different reports, but can't get any final confirmation from any official sources. Interested if anyone here has heard these same reports.

This is first I have heard of anything. Maybe the MOGA guys (@Eric Albus @Big Shooter) have heard something. I can’t image any changes being made without the approval of MOGA and deep-pocket NR Landowners. (Ok, I’m probably still a little sore from last legislative session.) I would like info on the new elk management plan. Maybe these items get rolled together? I’m open to hearing news ideas and don’t want “perfect” to get in the way of “good”, but the short track record on this Administration isn’t great for average Joe Hunter.

Lol! The bitterness is very apparent! All that I have heard is something about ‘“open house” meetings at FWP Regional locations for ideas and public comments. Lord knows there is plenty of room for improvements. No doubt we all have our own ideas, but I would venture to guess that we will have plenty in common.

Lol! The bitterness is very apparent! All that I have heard is something about ‘“open house” meetings at FWP Regional locations for ideas and public comments. Lord knows there is plenty of room for improvements. No doubt we all have our own ideas, but I would venture to guess that we will have plenty in common.
It’s going to be great to have all the outfitters and resident hunters in agreement to shorten the general season by two weeks for mule deer. 🧐😏

It will also be great to see pg 55 of the current EMP implemented to solve the problems of over objective elk. If we don’t include the inaccessible elk in the objective counts, that would probably do the most to get elk within “acceptable“ objective.

I haven’t heard anything about it. Call me jaded, but I predict a roll out of Phase Two in the Great War Against Elk, if anything is restructured.

I have also heard talk from two biologists of a further review of regs. There hasn't been a press release or official communication that's come out, but we do have a R2 CAC meeting in a week to talk about elk and seasons. Then a week later we have a regular CAC meeting.

Rumor is, the state will be conglomerated into one hunting district. Season days will run from January 1 to December 31, any elk, multiple tags available.
Do you think it would be too much to also ask for spotlighting and hunting from a helicopter or small plane. I might be greedy but don't want to appear that way.

Last edited:
On the serious side, Montana could use some changes in management. We can not continue to manage like it is the 1980's and hope all the issues will solve themselves. I would like to remain optimistic that some well thought out changes are in the future.

We certainly do need a change in our regs & seasons. Here’s hoping for the best…

Last edited:
I think changes are coming, but I don’t think they will be the changes we are hoping for. I’ve been hearing rumors that one of the elk districts near me could go from special permit to general because some of the wealthy landowners are upset that they can’t have a tag every year. One of the game wardens thinks it’s very likely to happen.

They didn't get the legislative changes they wanted on landowner permits, so I'd look at how they restructure the 454 program as well as the LE Breaks permits. Those are the top tier issues for the UPOM and Paul Ellis crowd, which is the faction of the outfitter community that is in bed with the Governor. From what I've heard, there's not a lot of love lost after the session between the FWP director and MOGA.

I bet they're going to implement the 2 B tag licenses for cows in a larger swath of the state, and probably start opening up districts to any elk. There's a big restructuring of the agency coming as well, with a concentration of power and decision making going to Helena, and taken farther away from the field staff.

Likely MOGA and UPOM lobbying the Gov to appoint the Elk Tsar from their ranks.

In my experience, when agencies start to centralize power like this, it's to enact a political agenda rather than one of good governance. The commission is the decision making body, and they're all Gianforte appointments except for Pat Bayorth. There's your votes for whatever the governor has promised his donors & supporters.

When Schweitzer brought in Maurier, he did the same thing regarding restructuring because he was paranoid and demanded fealty to him, not to the agency's mission. The ensuing revolt within staff was enough to cause serious headaches to the Gov. I can't see how having all of those field staff running around MT talking about how all decisions are made in Helena is going to have a positive impact on Gigi's popularity, but who knows.

Here's the listening tour schedule. It would behoove Montanans to attend and let the agency know how they feel about certain issues in a polite and courteous manner:

FWP Header

FWP director, deputy director and staff to host open houses around state

HELENA – Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks director, deputy director and members of their staff will be visiting regional offices during a tour of the state in August and September.
Director Hank Worsech and Deputy Director Dustin Temple invite the public to join them at regional FWP offices for open houses. All meetings will run from 5 to 8 p.m. The schedule is as follows:
  • Aug. 23: Region 2 Headquarters in Missoula, 3201 Spurgin Road
  • Aug. 24: Region 1 Headquarters in Kalispell, 490 North Meridian Road
  • Aug. 31: Region 4 Headquarters in Great Falls, 4600 Giant Springs Road
  • Sept. 1: Region 6 Headquarters in Glasgow, 1 Airport Road
  • Sept. 7: Region 3 Headquarters in Bozeman, 1400 South 19th
  • Sept. 8: Region 5 Headquarters in Billings, 2300 Lake Elmo Drive
  • Sept. 9 Region 7 Headquarters in Miles City, 352 I-94 Business Loop
“It’s been a busy year and we know people have a lot of things they’re interested in discussing,” said Worsech. “This is a great opportunity for us to hear directly from the public on topics they’re passionate about.”
FWP ensures its meetings are fully accessible to those with special needs. To request arrangements, call FWP at 406-444-3186.
-fwp-​

They didn't get the legislative changes they wanted on landowner permits, so I'd look at how they restructure the 454 program as well as the LE Breaks permits. Those are the top tier issues for the UPOM and Paul Ellis crowd, which is the faction of the outfitter community that is in bed with the Governor. From what I've heard, there's not a lot of love lost after the session between the FWP director and MOGA.

I bet they're going to implement the 2 B tag licenses for cows in a larger swath of the state, and probably start opening up districts to any elk. There's a big restructuring of the agency coming as well, with a concentration of power and decision making going to Helena, and taken farther away from the field staff.
What difference does restructuring make?

MTFWP has been under top down decision making for at least the last 20 years, probably longer.

Field staff haven't had the ability to make recommendations, let alone influence any policy on things as simple as season setting, tag authorizations, and the like for as long as I can remember. Anyone that bucked the trend was promptly fired (Vinke as a prime example).

Nothing changes with centralized decision making in Helena...as if that's news.

The war on elk is nothing new either, started a long time ago with Vore, Thompson, with slight ramp up under Kujala, etc...again, why would anyone expect anything different?

MTFWP made the decision long ago, way back in the late 80's to early 90's that management wasn't necessary. That legacy will carry on for a long time. Its as engrained in the average Montana Sportsman as deeply as it is the FWP and Legislature. It is unfortunate as MT has the potential to lead the West in hunting and fishing, unimagined potential actually.

Anyone else hearing the reports that FWP is being told by the Director (Governor) that a huge restructure of hunting districts, hunt types, season types, and a lot of other things are coming out for public comment this month?

I've heard many different reports, but can't get any final confirmation from any official sources. Interested if anyone here has heard these same reports.
I’ve heard some rumors and I certainly hope they are not true. It would be the end of most limited entry elk units if what I’m hearing is correct.

I’ve heard some rumors and I certainly hope they are not true. It would be the end of most limited entry elk units if what I’m hearing is correct.
Good, let them experience some top quality raghorn hunting along with the rest of the regular joe's hunting public.

Have to be consistent.

Good, let them experience some top quality raghorn hunting along with the rest of the regular joe's hunting public.

Have to be consistent.
It won’t effect private land like it does public. It will put the cards in favor of landowners and outfitters. I’m sure you can see that as you are very experienced at killing timber carp. It’s bad for regular Joe hunters.

It won’t effect private land like it does public. It will put the cards in favor of landowners and outfitters. I’m sure you can see that as you are very experienced at killing timber carp. It’s bad for regular Joe hunters.
I say good again, hopefully the landowners get lots of trespassing, corner crossing, etc. and that will continue to keep the wardens busy as well. That's all the wardens do anyway field landowner complaints. When was the last time you were checked by a MT Warden on public land? I can tell you when I was, 2006 at an impromptu check station near the highway. Before that it was in the late 90's, Jay that patrolled out of Seeley Lake checked us pretty regularly in the late 80's through early 90's until he retired.

Plus, any bull that comes off private will be hammered, right along with the cows, calves, and other shoulder season victims.

In the eyes of the Legislature and MTFWP, and Landowners, that is a win-win-win...throw in the average MT Sportsman, and in their eyes, a win-win-win-and another win.

What's not to like?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back