MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

I hate living in this world of one side is what MT politicians are doing, then the polar opposite in CA where some of our wildlife management decisions are made by the center for biological diversity. Why can’t we all just run off of real science and wildlife being one of the best public resources out there for so many reasons?

Yep. The majority of hunters in MT don’t give a crap about anything beyond their opportunity to hunt. If there were only 3 elk left in the state folks would be lined up to kill them.
I think your generally right that being said I don’t think that’s the case for the majority of hunters on this site. They wouldn’t be on here otherwise. Most of the guys/gals on here think/eat/breathe MT hunting just like I do. That’s why when Buzz H grabs his swingline stapler and hopes/threatens to burn the place down I get it.😂. I too feel that way at times also but I don’t think we should give up hope. We really don’t have that much to lose

I think your generally right that being said I don’t think that’s the case for the majority of hunters on this site. They wouldn’t be on here otherwise. Most of the guys/gals on here think/eat/breathe MT hunting just like I do. That’s why when Buzz H grabs his swingline stapler and hopes/threatens to burn the place down I get it.😂. I too feel that way at times also but I don’t think we should give up hope. We really don’t have that much to lose
Ha!

I agree with you, I don't think we should give up hope, as at this point its all the minority of hunters have to hang onto. But at the same time, its not practical to pretend things are going to get anything but worse in Montana in the next 4+ years, probably much longer than that.

Been at this stuff for a long time and its not hard to see where things are headed in Montana, and I see no way to slow it down.

Let's face it, with the current political climate, gianforte could make a drastically change that pisses everyone off. Then tell everyone it was the liberals fault and lots would believe him. Though GG is pretty straightforward. I'll give him that. Not really alot of hubris with him.

What difference does restructuring make?

MTFWP has been under top down decision making for at least the last 20 years, probably longer.

Field staff haven't had the ability to make recommendations, let alone influence any policy on things as simple as season setting, tag authorizations, and the like for as long as I can remember. Anyone that bucked the trend was promptly fired (Vinke as a prime example).

Nothing changes with centralized decision making in Helena...as if that's news.

The war on elk is nothing new either, started a long time ago with Vore, Thompson, with slight ramp up under Kujala, etc...again, why would anyone expect anything different?

MTFWP made the decision long ago, way back in the late 80's to early 90's that management wasn't necessary. That legacy will carry on for a long time. Its as engrained in the average Montana Sportsman as deeply as it is the FWP and Legislature. It is unfortunate as MT has the potential to lead the West in hunting and fishing, unimagined potential actually.

You fight for what's right, even if you'll lose. Make them take it from us.
1628514894099.png

Ha!

I agree with you, I don't think we should give up hope, as at this point its all the minority of hunters have to hang onto. But at the same time, its not practical to pretend things are going to get anything but worse in Montana in the next 4+ years, probably much longer than that.

Been at this stuff for a long time and its not hard to see where things are headed in Montana, and I see no way to slow it down.
So what do you think the outcome is?

So what do you think the outcome is?
Well, already have seen some of it this last session with the approval of a muzzleloader season to pound on wildlife for more than 11 weeks.

I think allowing crossbows in archery will happen as well.

I also think 2-3 cow elk tags per person, maybe even unlimited in some units depending on the amount of landowner influence. But 2-3 will be in every unit in the State, public land included.

I think outfitter set asides are a strong possibility.

I believe ranching for wildlife is going to happen as well in some form. Too many LQ areas where landowners can't get tags every year. Could be development of a landowner tag program of some sort, likely transferable and up for sale for those landowners that don't hunt but want to profit from wildlife.

Doing away with LQ elk areas all together in most of the State.

I see the continued trend of spiraling declines in all species with the exception of maybe turkeys, wolves, and possibly bears. Although bear hunting seems likes its becoming more and more popular all the time, increased trapping/snaring etc. on wolves, and double-digit turkey permits per hunter will likely change those as well.

I see no changes to season structure, length, or general OTC tags, etc. happening even though Montana's population will continue to explode.

Habitat will continue to degrade largely due to development (unfettered and unregulated). Climate related changes will also decrease suitable habitat, increase wildlife related problems (like what's happening with moose) and we'll continue to deny that its happening or that climate has any impact. I suspect Bighorn sheep in the breaks will experience a die-off as we can't infringe on anyone's rights to run domestic sheep where they want.

Montana FWP will also ramp up killing off deer for CWD management, extended seasons, multiple tags, etc.

Pronghorn will continue to decline as they over-issue doe tags, too many buck tags and never allow them to reach levels we enjoyed in the 80's and 90's.

Poaching will remain a big problem since all most Wardens do all year anymore is babysit landowner complaints.

Other than that, I see a bright future for hunting and wildlife in Montana.

Well, already have seen some of it this last session with the approval of a muzzleloader season to pound on wildlife for more than 11 weeks.

I think allowing crossbows in archery will happen as well.

I also think 2-3 cow elk tags per person, maybe even unlimited in some units depending on the amount of landowner influence. But 2-3 will be in every unit in the State, public land included.

I think outfitter set asides are a strong possibility.

I believe ranching for wildlife is going to happen as well in some form. Too many LQ areas where landowners can't get tags every year. Could be development of a landowner tag program of some sort, likely transferable and up for sale for those landowners that don't hunt but want to profit from wildlife.

Doing away with LQ elk areas all together in most of the State.

I see the continued trend of spiraling declines in all species with the exception of maybe turkeys, wolves, and possibly bears. Although bear hunting seems likes its becoming more and more popular all the time, increased trapping/snaring etc. on wolves, and double-digit turkey permits per hunter will likely change those as well.

I see no changes to season structure, length, or general OTC tags, etc. happening even though Montana's population will continue to explode.

Habitat will continue to degrade largely due to development (unfettered and unregulated). Climate related changes will also decrease suitable habitat, increase wildlife related problems (like what's happening with moose) and we'll continue to deny that its happening or that climate has any impact. I suspect Bighorn sheep in the breaks will experience a die-off as we can't infringe on anyone's rights to run domestic sheep where they want.

Montana FWP will also ramp up killing off deer for CWD management, extended seasons, multiple tags, etc.

Pronghorn will continue to decline as they over-issue doe tags, too many buck tags and never allow them to reach levels we enjoyed in the 80's and 90's.

Poaching will remain a big problem since all most Wardens do all year anymore is babysit landowner complaints.

Other than that, I see a bright future for hunting and wildlife in Montana.
Unfortunately I agree 100 percent

It's your choice listen to Negative Nellie and risk becoming a sniveling little B----, or put on your man panties and go chase Bulls . Montana is a great place to hunt elk, you simply have to figure out where and that is actually the fun part .
While I can see your perspective on this, I think this attitude is overly dismissive of the general state of hunting in Montana. Therein lies the conundrum; it’s still better than most, but in reality is a shell of what it could be. Just as it’s dangerous to not see the good things, it’s equally dangerous to fiddle while Rome burns.

Holy Shit . Negative Nellie has spoken .

I know guys that have adapted to the changing hunting conditions in Montana . Yesterday they were trying to decide where out of several places to hunt they should go opening day . They were trying to stop themselves from going off in new directions chasing new and different elk and to go where they knew elk were and kill a bigger bull .

This will mean nothing to most of you, but it is the 9th of August . Opening Day is coming fast, ditch the whoa is me attitude . The Bulls are going to be screaming in a month .

The guys that hunt Public Lands and kill good bulls every year are going to make it happen again .

It's your choice listen to Negative Nellie and risk becoming a sniveling little B----, or put on your man panties and go chase Bulls . Montana is a great place to hunt elk, you simply have to figure out where and that is actually the fun part .
There's some truth here, but if you've ever hunted other states you know that things could be a lot better in MT. I've elk hunted Colorado and it's much easier to kill a bull there, at least the two areas where I have. I have hunted antelope and mule deer in Wyoming. There are better opportunities for both in Wyoming.

I think the frustrating thing for a lot of us is that we know the potential that exists here in MT, but the opportunity just gets pissed away.

Also the point of this thread was to be watching for big changes coming straight from the top.

Why are all potential changes viewed negatively . There is endless discussion on here about about needed change .

Im not going to argue I just think people with a positive attitude tend to excel .
You weren't paying attention during this legislative session. The tone was set then. Hard to be overly positive unless your lease is paid for and the alfalfa is tall and green, but we will see what happens.

Holy Shit . Negative Nellie has spoken .

I know guys that have adapted to the changing hunting conditions in Montana . Yesterday they were trying to decide where out of several places to hunt they should go opening day . They were trying to stop themselves from going off in new directions chasing new and different elk and to go where they knew elk were and kill a bigger bull .

This will mean nothing to most of you, but it is the 9th of August . Opening Day is coming fast, ditch the whoa is me attitude . The Bulls are going to be screaming in a month .

The guys that hunt Public Lands and kill good bulls every year are going to make it happen again .

"Bro I killed a buffalo yesterday, this whole thing is way over played, there are a ton of them just over the next horizon." - Last hide hunter

I realize that this will be against the grain here, but part of me hopes that if they go the landowner tag route they are valid unit-wide.

It would be nice to have another option for seasons in which draw luck is poor.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back