Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

To keep this productive, I think what @Big Fin and @Ben Lamb brought up is key. Filling out the FWP form letter is close to useless, and tearing into the local bios at these meetings might feel good, especially because they're going to be marched in front of the firing squad and forced to defend this stuff. All comments need to be directed at the governor, the director, and the commission. These are political, social management choices.

As someone who is peripherally involved in wildlife management and interacts with FWP personnel, i'll say there has been a huge drop in morale at the agency with the new admin. They are keenly aware that this governor does not like FWP, and is not interested in scientifically informed management.
I completely agree but the biologists are going to just take this laying down? They have a job to do and they haven’t for I don’t know how many years. Maybe when conditions were more favorable. I don’t have much sympathy I’ve talked to them and it’s like beating your head off a wall. Literally was told last year we are in our glory days.

All comments need to be directed at the governor, the director, and the commission. These are political, social management choices.
Agree. Don't shoot the messenger, aid them w/ constructive public input to empower their messages from their constituents.

I'll lose a few thumbs up for this next portion though... meh.

They are keenly aware that this governor does not like FWP, and is not interested in scientifically informed management.
FWP has been a political football that began before Jersey G entered the scene and one reason he gained a few votes.
Democrats lost prior Democrat votes and I know of a few who voted for the G because of this very topic. Too many Region meetings I've attended fed up with eco-extreme supported non-scientific actions factored into management alleged scientifically informed mangement.

This is a pendulum swing from one side to the other - plain and simple. Agree / disagree.

Voters voted Red for Governor whereas past, voters voted Blue for Gov as s/he's mostly represents State interest.
For National interests voters have been typically divided with Red/Blue Federal Congressional Representatives.

*Side note: I voted Cooney, Daines, Rosendale, and Tester.

I’m thinking my tongue in cheek prediction may unfortunately be more Nostradamus-esque than I’d like.

I'm sure there's a good reason why everyone's choosing to bite their tongue at this point, but I'm too dumb to know what that reason is, so here's what I know-

-Each regional biologist was sent a list from Director Worsech of what changes need to be proposed for this winter's biannual season setting process. If they do not make these changes, they need to defend to him why they can't make that change.

-Individual hunting districts will be lumped into much larger regional districts, that will be uniform across species.

-These regional districts will need simplified, blanket regulations.

-If there are limited entry districts within these regions that are largely general units, those areas that are now limited entry will go general (I.E. 324 and 300 mule deer will now be part of much larger general mule deer units). CWD travels faster in trophy districts so those will be leaned away from.

-All unlimited permits will be removed.

-All sub-units will be removed.

-All permits with less than 50 tags are to be removed.

-There will be no more "attached" opportunities like the B/C WMA tags, antelope doe tags that are offered to buck tag holders, etc.

-All permits/B tags will be district/region wide, so no public land only, private land only restrictions. If it's a shoulder season HD, then you can hunt anywhere within that HD with a shoulder season tag.

-The permit only areas that are kept will be lumped into much larger permit only areas. Think Sapphire range mule deer permit rather than 270, 261, etc, or Missouri river breaks elk permit rather than 621, 622, 631, 632 etc.

I've also heard rumors that there's a push to go general bull elk hunting in all of these new HD's that are over objective, but I'm not that positive on that one.
Well that all sounds bad

Sounds like FWP may be fully exiting science and geographic region based management of deer and elk. Full steam ahead to formalize the management by politicians and some of their private landowning constituents. Let's remove these senseless things (permits/quotas/etc) that keep us from continuing to just nuke everything off every shred of accessible public land Those in control of private land should be making all the rules - I mean, without them - there wouldn't be any animals anyways right?

I completely agree but the biologists are going to just take this laying down? They have a job to do and they haven’t for I don’t know how many years. Maybe when conditions were more favorable. I don’t have much sympathy I’ve talked to them and it’s like beating your head off a wall. Literally was told last year we are in our glory days.
This might be the glory days when we look back in 5-10 years

This might be the glory days when we look back in 5-10 years
I saw when it was ok I never saw when it was good. It’s not hard to fix if you actually wanted to. And yes people won’t get what they necessarily want. Public land and private land hunters both. People have promoted hunting to an unsustainable level and people that buy land think the wildlife is theirs. Plenty of blame to go around. Sad people just can’t enjoy hunting without exploitation. It comes from both sides.

So, I've been out awhile. Sorry!, yes, I've seen some correspondences that suggest that there's a major move to do away with tags, make hunting districts larger and do away with many regulations and extra tags. I think the idea is to group large areas together so that areas that are below objective end up at objective and end up general seasons.

Do away with almost all extra permit type of seasons.

My recommendation is always the same. Show the Fk up and be counted!!!! Be loud and mad. Show up in force for once in your God forsaken lives and make a difference or lose out. You need to pass along the greeting dates and times and be there.

Just a thought.................

I just read more of what I missed. Thanks Randy 11, he's spot on. Now show up.

Last edited:
Remember, the bulk of sportsman are like Joe 12 Pack as described earlier. They are going to be fugging thrilled they can rifle hunt the breaks without a permit. This will be rolled into a package of “opportunity with a side of additional exploitation of woofs”. They’ll eat it like a fat kid at Dairy Queen.

It’ll take numbers and voices to counterbalance this. Lots.

Remember, the bulk of sportsman are like Joe 12 Pack as described earlier. They are going to be fugging thrilled they can rifle hunt the breaks without a permit. This will be rolled into a package of “opportunity with a side of additional exploitation of woofs”. They’ll eat it like a fat kid at Dairy Queen.

It’ll take numbers and voices to counterbalance this. Lots.
Like Randy pointed out, strategic timing on these dates, right during hunting season.

Hunters don't show up when they don't have an excuse...well in fairness, with 6 months of killing elk, kind of tough not to schedule a meeting that doesn't conflict with elk season.

There's a lot of blame to go around.

These were sent out last week from a listserv out of Dillon. It highlights what's being discussed in greater detail, and is exactly what Hodges posted.

Attachments

• 2021 season setting timeline.pdf
    111.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Hunting District Simiplification Recommendation_Waltee.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 209-21-MEMO-Regulation Changes Further Guidance.pdf
    652 KB · Views: 37
  • 192-21-FWP All-MEMO-Changes to Season Settings & Regs.pdf
    136.6 KB · Views: 31
  • LPT simplification ideas.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
  • HTRRWG recommendation and supporting info for elk permits and licenses 09232019.pdf
    213.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Boundary Guidance.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Season Setting 2021 Guidance.pdf
    178.2 KB · Views: 38
This turd has been swirling in the bowl long before the latest governor was elected..
Ya but GiGi and his puppet Hank are the ones serving it up.

Biggest difference this time is the public could work with bios BEFORE proposals became proposals and have some success. This time there will be not public input before the proposals go to Wildlife. Once they get that far the chance for change is great diminished.

I thought it seemed odd when a “licensing and landowner relations” guy was made director. I will say it took less time than I expected for things to start smelling

People are being weird about it and I’m not sure why.

Likely that they got their information from folks who asked for some anonymity to avoid the inevitable purge that comes when top down administrations dislike leaked info. In my case, I missed an email last week that had this documentation. If I had seen it, I would have posted it earlier since it was in the public realm.

Protecting a source is a solid move. Even if folks dislike it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back