MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

Watching bits and pieces of that meeting last night was pretty telling. You kind of get the sense of how the commissioners feel, they all seemed pretty fed up with Hank putting them in this spot.

Some of my takeaways was Jana Waller seems like she's there for the right reasons. I don't think it's just lip service because she was the only commissioner to respond to my email saying she'd studied it carefully and wanted me to know she'll be considering my point of view in her vote and that my voice was being heard. Hearing her call out Worsech for creating a lack of trust was freaking awesome.

KC Walsh seemed like he was a little weary of falling on the wrong side of the public. He brought up how the shoulder seasons weren't popular in his region, questioned why they'd implement all the huge changes prior to the new elk mgmt plan being released, and said there's lots of good public input to sort through, including unlimited cow tags on private, as Randy suggested. You could tell that pissed Hank off. Can't believe how unprofessional a person could be in his position, to basically throw Randy under the bus in front of the commission for coming up with good ideas, all because they don't fit the UPOM/MOGA narrative.

Tabor seems to be the one who makes me the most nervous. He was the one who said "I can't remember if it was UPOM or MOGA, but one of their suggestions was to go general archery for the 8 units and that's what I'd like to see". And Hank takes it and runs with it, go figure. He seemed to have a big presence in the room, so I'm hoping the other commissioners keep their ears open to the public.

My big worry is what if Hank just keeps throwing out these UPOM backed ideas, like he's doing with unlimited archery, and completely ignores all the good ideas the public's provided. Can the commission tell him they want to him to implement certain ideas or are they just allowed to vote yea or neigh on what gets thrown at them?

Watching bits and pieces of that meeting last night was pretty telling. You kind of get the sense of how the commissioners feel, they all seemed pretty fed up with Hank putting them in this spot.

Some of my takeaways was Jana Waller seems like she's there for the right reasons. I don't think it's just lip service because she was the only commissioner to respond to my email saying she'd studied it carefully and wanted me to know she'll be considering my point of view in her vote and that my voice was being heard. Hearing her call out Worsech for creating a lack of trust was freaking awesome.

KC Walsh seemed like he was a little weary of falling on the wrong side of the public. He brought up how the shoulder seasons weren't popular in his region, questioned why they'd implement all the huge changes prior to the new elk mgmt plan being released, and said there's lots of good public input to sort through, including unlimited cow tags on private, as Randy suggested. You could tell that pissed Hank off. Can't believe how unprofessional a person could be in his position, to basically throw Randy under the bus in front of the commission for coming up with good ideas, all because they don't fit the UPOM/MOGA narrative.

Tabor seems to be the one who makes me the most nervous. He was the one who said "I can't remember if it was UPOM or MOGA, but one of their suggestions was to go general archery for the 8 units and that's what I'd like to see". And Hank takes it and runs with it, go figure. He seemed to have a big presence in the room, so I'm hoping the other commissioners keep their ears open to the public.

My big worry is what if Hank just keeps throwing out these UPOM backed ideas, like he's doing with unlimited archery, and completely ignores all the good ideas the public's provided. Can the commission tell him they want to him to implement certain ideas or are they just allowed to vote yea or neigh on what gets thrown at them?
From watching the meeting last night, it sounds like that is an option for the commission.

@Big Shooter @Eric Albus Is MOGA pushing/supporting unlimited bull elk hunting on the 900-20 permit?
Paul Ellis has told people that MOGA supports that. Given how Paul is so often saying he is speaking on behalf of MOGA, I'm surprised they haven't added Paul to the Board of Directors.

Eric and Rod are on the Board of Directors, so if anyone knows for sure if Paul is speaking for MOGA when Paul makes such claims, Eric and Rod would surely know.

Listening to them this morning they're voting to get rid of 900 archery tag. Then depending on unit they will either be unlimited permit or general. If unlimited will be required to hunt that unit for which the permit is good for (like mule deer) Increasing permits by 50% for rifle.

Also, proposing otc cow tags on private in units 2 times over objective on private only.

Looks like there was a lot of scrambling with some of the commissioners receiving new ideas this morning before the meeting.

Well, Mac Minard just testified that MOGA favors this proposal. Guess that answers your question.
But it sounded like they were also unbundling the 900 tag? Is that just as bad or does that help in your opinion? If someone draws what would be this new unlimited 411 archery permit that's the only unit they hunt during archery not all 900 archery units.

Many folks that have spoken wit the director have been told that his job is to implement the Governor's agenda.

These proposals are all coming from political organizations that spend a lot of time, energy & money working to elect one party.

The backed up orgy of bills that were killed either at the Governor's office or during the session are now becoming proposals to the commission.

it's all political, and that has to change.
A wild quagmire. Least others shared the obvious this time... :)

Well, Mac Minard just testified that MOGA favors this proposal. Guess that answers your question.
Brilliant way to prevent cow harvest on private while key landowners/outfitters/leasees have at the trophy bull archery hunts. The herds of cows - suck those bulls right in like bait.

Isn’t the idea to reduce numbers in over objective elk areas? 🙄

But it sounded like they were also unbundling the 900 tag? Is that just as bad or does that help in your opinion? If someone draws what would be this new unlimited 411 archery permit that's the only unit they hunt during archery not all 900 archery units.
Exactly. That hurts residents and helps NRs that use a guide and NR landowners in that district. Same effect, under the guise of "simplification".

I’m always amazed how when one proposal gets shot down they instantly come back with something else. Did they actually have a second idea in their back pocket or are they just coming up with stuff on the fly? Are fwp staff even consulted on any of this?

Might help a little but might hurt too. Suppose the # of hunters in one unit is very high and quality of accessible elk hunting is worse than some of the other options. Those hunters can only hunt that unit and don't disperse elsewhere so the lousy hunting is only worsened. On the flip side, some other 900 group unit might be better because the dispersed hunters from the blown up unit cant show up there and hunt.

I’m always amazed how when one proposal gets shot down they instantly come back with something else. Did they actually have a second idea in their back pocket or are they just coming up with stuff on the fly? Are fwp staff even consulted on any of this?

The replacement package sounds like it was worked up between FWP senior staff & some of the commissioners. No actual regional biologist was consulted.

Nice job @Gerald Martin

Makes ya wonder if they threw a terrible idea out there, just to negotiate it down to something less terrible, but still bad, and act like they have compromised.

Commissioner Waller yesterday spoke about public trust and its importance. That was great. One very damaging thing to the public trust is the agency charged with wildlife management throwing stuff at the wall to hope it sticks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back