Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

MT 316 Goat adventure

I would save yourself time and money and skip the chains. Unless it melts out, there will be too much snow for you to go anywhere worthwhile chains or no chains. Park in Cooke, or at the Daisy Pass turn (On the county maintained highway), and take a sled or quad up from there. Just my .2.

One of these and a regular pole for the other hand? Or two of these?
I use one, keeping the other hand free. Maybe a trekker that compresses down and can strap to the pack would be nice for the flat stretches. In the steep stuff, I like having a hand free. Personal preference.

I am headed back to fill the goat tag. Will be arriving this Sunday so wanted to share the current forecast for the full days I am in the unit hunting. Seems mild, especially the forecasted winds.

Trip 2 MT forecast.jpg

Not sure of the current snow depth in town or up on Daisy Pass. Below is a link to Cooke City street cameras. One of the two cams has not updated since October but the other (right side) is current. Snowfall seems about 1" to 3" on the days it snows so might be another 6" to 12" as arrive and then while there in the unit. As have been checking the cam daily now, have not seen and bright, sunny days. Glassing may be impacted. Will have that answer soon.

Good luck! Keep an eye on the Gallatin Avalanche Center's forecast as well. They're not posting everyday yet, usually after a snow event, but good to be aware of.

One of the avalanche reports from 2019 had a snowmobiler in an avalanche at Abundance. Wouldn't that be illegal to snowmobile into the wilderness? The Trailhead is well before the mountain.

The avalanches I find on youtube for Cooke City seem to involve small sections of snow about the footprint of a large home that breaks loose and slides a few feet.

dec20_sheep_avy.jpg

Area in that article is not in wilderness and open to snowmobiling. Sheep creek is prone to avalanches and also not in the wilderness. Snowmobilers stay out of sheep creek because it's dangerous. Be safe! Good luck!

Appears 34" of snow at "Cooke City" per snow depth website but if powder like last month there is almost bare ground and then very tall drifts. Cooke CIty street cam shows much less snow depth on buildings.

Like I told you loper stick to the main trail areas up there. Don't try riding off into the mountain unless there's a real apparent trail. You should be able to get a sled into bowl of woods and towards abundance. Stay safe, your in for one hell of an adventure i think. Gotta good feeling though!

I just found this story from Lulu Pass that took place 13 days ago. Looks snowy then.

I hope you’re having a great time and finding some luck

I just found this story from Lulu Pass that took place 13 days ago. Looks snowy then.

I hope you’re having a great time and finding some luck

I read that story also. It is quite amazing that the horse survived its ordeal.

Also, it looks pretty challenging for a goat hunt there right now.

I read that story also. It is quite amazing that the horse survived its ordeal.

Also, it looks pretty challenging for a goat hunt there right now.

I’ve posted the story of Grace and Chris Schaul in the unlimited thread in the past, but the story of Sweets sure reminds me of the story of Grace.
I had found Grace’s saddle and Chris’s Bible and other belongings and also knew Chris a little.

Back