MT 316 Goat adventure

LopeHunter

There are times when I am so lucky that even I wonder if is but a dream. I drew a non-resident Mountain Goat tag for Montana this year. As is typical for me, I have never set foot in 316 though have worked the phones, forums, prior hunter lists, watched goat hunt videos of that part of Montana, and dreamed about this hunt all summer. I will head in at sunrise on October 5, weather permitting.

I have hunted mountain goat twice before, once each in AK and CO. Both were challenging hunts but ended with a notched tag. Amazing adventures and great scenery. Only came close to serious injury or death on the AK hunt. AK involved a sheer rockface and a double crevasse on a glacier. The CO hunt was less vertical though the rock was crappier due to being crumbly as tried to climb.

AK 2009 Knik on L and CO G13 Late on R.png

MT will be my first solo mountain goat hunt. I bought and activated an InReach mini so my family can have a chance to communicate. Apparently, they still like me.

Upgraded some gear. Hiked a lot of miles with a 40 pound pack this year but the gym has been closed due to Covid so got zero elliptical training. This has resulted in me being the least prepared physically for any hunt the past decade. Oops.

The season opened September 1 but I wanted to have a chance at longer hair and knowingly risked holding out 5 weeks not knowing if the weather would be nice or naughty in early October. The extended forecast today for my first 3 days in the unit as 50Fs for highs and a bit below freezing overnight with small chance of rain/sleet/snow my first three days in 316. Fire danger, though. And bears that rhyme with drizzly.

I watched a couple of billy vs nanny identification videos today for a refresher.

Got my offline OnX maps onto my phone. About to test the InReach using my custom, pre-loaded messages and text/email distribution lists loaded. Will test the weather forecast function.

All the gear is gathered here in WA or in AZ. I fly to AZ this weekend.

I will cut some of the gear this weekend to get weight closer to 60 pounds. I am not taking a bear fence. Not taking my handgun. May ditch the spotter and tripod though will hate that choice. I can jettison some clothing if the forecast holds. Will decide at the trailhead.

I start the drive from AZ to WY on afternoon of September 28. Will hunt in NE WY for a pronghorn buck Oct 1 through 3. Drive to MT on 4th. Reach the trailhead on the 5th.

Have 12 days of food so will take some, not all, with me on the 5th then return to the truck if hunt goes past a week.

I am not and have never been a trophy hunter but do look for representative or better critters. I have had extended communication with five amazing prior goat or sheep hunters. Have chatted and exchanged emails with a dozen more.

I feel fortunate to have drawn this tag and will do my best to find a billy with longer hair. If I struggle on this hunt there is no one to blame but me and my conditioning. Or the snow drifts which really is still on me for waiting 5 weeks.

Stay tuned.

Hey Lopehunter, good luck on your goat hunt and I will be looking forward to your follow up. Stay safe!

Good luck out there Lope. I'm going to make my first foray for my goat the middle of next week. Season opened on the 15th up this way. FYI, I upgraded my Inreach subscription so it would transmit my breadcrumbs to family. Never know if one becomes incapacitated to the point they can't manually transmit. It was about $10 more / month with the added bonus of custom text messaging (50 I believe it was).

good luck, @LopeHunter ! Sounds like your plans are pretty firm, but can I convince you to flip the WY antelope until after the goat hunt? The snow in and around Cooke shows up early and stays late. Gets nasty deep in a hurry in that country. Would love to see pictures of you with a billy. Best of luck.

LH,,,,The best of luck to you sir. Will be looking forward to reading about your solo adventure when it is concluded. I'm a bit envious, you are about to embark on my favorite type of hunt in pursuit of my favorite critter....enjoy it all!

Appreciate the suggestions to go earlier. That is a popular and wise course of action. A former park ranger suggested that as did all but a couple of those hunters I spoke with this summer.

The good news, so far, is the relatively mild forecast is holding for the first few days I will be in the unit. I have solid gear to ride out some wind and cold if get caught in a storm. If the weather forecast gives me a day of warning then should make it to the trailhead before gets nasty.

I have a healthy respect for the current fire risk since is quite dry in there and winds seem a given. Some rain might be a good thing though the forecast looks dry.

Bears are a concern for me and will keep a clean camp and be careful as hike through sloughs and timber. Most hunters never get bluff charged, chewn on or turned into dinner. I will try to join their ranks.

May be very quiet in there with the ram quotas filled. I like a bit of solitude though a buddy hunt is more fun when a critter hits the ground on a mountain slope.

I will update on the 4th as am headed to the trailhead, knock on wood.

Hair will be great on the goats. I’ve seen several goat pics of friends out recently with permits In SW MT & they all look pretty good already. Good luck - I know zero about your area otherwise would share..

Thanks
. It was a spur of the moment assist for me. My neighbor needed a hand.
To the OP, good luck. I would head down even earlier if you can get away. That country solo in snow is not to be trifled with. Hope you get a great billy!
How'd it score? I almost hate asking that question because it doesn't really matter. Looks like 9-9.5" but thats a rookie guess.

Back