MT 316 Goat adventure

If weather forecast holds, am headed back the week before Thanksgiving. A couple of you have been awesome in getting me some structure to figure out a return. Will fly into Billings and head to Cooke City. I presume will need snowshoes. Any other tips on gear or strategy? Anyone wanting to go in there to glass and help pack out a long-haired goat?

Hey Lopehunter, glad to hear you are going to give it another go. Good luck and be safe.

Crampons/Micro-Spikes are nice for the steep stuff when ice is involved- Crampons are preferred. I also carry a Black Diamond Whippet in place of a trekking pole. The large basket is nice when the snow gets deep, and the ice-ax head is great for giving a little extra "stopping power" for slips and slides. If you're buying snowshoes, check out the MSR Lighting Accents- They're spendy but bomber and have great grip on the edges. Keep us all updated on your timeline.

I picked up a pair of Atlas Apex Mtn snowshoes last winter and I love them, they have some pretty impressive traction in the steep stuff.

Very good to hear that you are going to make a second attempt at it.

I’m pretty sure you have read this thread but make sure you are careful out there in the snow.

That thread really drives the point home that things can go bad in a hurry in the country goats live in and it is even worse in the snow.

Not trying to talk you out of it by any means, I think you are making the right decision for sure. Just respect the mountain.

EDIT - went back and reread that whole thread and saw that you had posted on it so you obviously read it. Still a very good thread to show how dangerous it can be where goats live.

Last edited:
I would check the road status before you leave Billings. The road between Crandall and Cooke will likely be snowed in by then. You'll probably need to go around to Livingston, down to Gardiner, and across Lamar Valley. The Beartooth Highway will certainly be closed.

Last edited:
You can rent crampons and snowshoes from local mountain shops if you need some gear let me know and I'll be happy to loan you some stuff for your adventure. There's no sense in spending an extra 400 bucks on stuff your gonna sell. I'm not thinking I'll be using the mountain backcountry stuff on my bull quest.

Depending on when your coming id even loan you some camp stuff to minimize gear travel.

Good on ya for getting back after it!

I would check the road status before you leave Billings. The road between Crandall and Cooke will likely be snowed in by then. You'll probably need to go around to Bozeman, down to Gardiner, and across Lamar Valley. The Beartooth Highway will certainly be closed.

Actually, don't go from Billings to Bozeman,,, turn at Livingston to get to Gardiner.

You can rent crampons and snowshoes from local mountain shops if you need some gear let me know and I'll be happy to loan you some stuff for your adventure. There's no sense in spending an extra 400 bucks on stuff your gonna sell. I'm not thinking I'll be using the mountain backcountry stuff on my bull quest.

Depending on when your coming id even loan you some camp stuff to minimize gear travel.

Good on ya for getting back after it!
Good thought. The Base Camp in Billings does all kinds of gear rental, and they have good stuff.

Glad you're going back in there Lope. Another few posts on this thread and you'll cross the "100 replies" threshold. That's considered going viral :cool: .

Okay, appreciate the feedback. Almost stepped in it by planning on using Billings airport. Now flying into Bozeman so should be shorter trip from airport to Cooke City. Will stop as leave the airport to get chains for the rental truck/SUV. Thanks for that tip because those street tires blow.

Watching forecast for 16th for another day or two then buying the flight, snowshoes, warmer mittens/gloves, goggles in case is as windy as last attempt and a few other items.

Uber Horse might be willing to go in from the NE to Mosquito Peak but that needs a few things to all fall into place so expect I will be in Cooke City. Will have a full week there so will cross fingers a few days have visibility to glass and my legs get me where need to get. My body is all back to normal though kept off some of the weight.

Thanks again for everyone who took time to message me and respond here with advice, encouragement and kicks in the rear. I needed all of those.

Crampons/Micro-Spikes are nice for the steep stuff when ice is involved- Crampons are preferred. I also carry a Black Diamond Whippet in place of a trekking pole. The large basket is nice when the snow gets deep, and the ice-ax head is great for giving a little extra "stopping power" for slips and slides. If you're buying snowshoes, check out the MSR Lighting Accents- They're spendy but bomber and have great grip on the edges. Keep us all updated on your timeline.
One of these and a regular pole for the other hand? Or two of these?

Back