MT 316 Goat adventure

Hmmm, I'm hearing crickets! If I lived in the area and had the time I'd help you out. Wonder where all the critical posters up above went?

Hmmm, I'm hearing crickets! If I lived in the area and had the time I'd help you out. Wonder where all the critical posters up above went?
But you don't live here and have not a clue, hell probably have never even been to Cooke or into the country around Cooke or even know what its all about..... so why even make a dumb ass post like that.
I'm sitting right here drinking coffee and watching it dump outside. I have a couple tags in committed to right now lope but I'll do some reaching out on a couple things for ya...... your gonna get back in there and get one partner! Goats and sleds or horses would be sweet!

Pretty easy for a guy to volunteer himself to help when he lives in Minnesota and has nothing better to do on a Saturday morning. Have you ever even been on a goat hunt? Know what any of that shit is like to navigate when it's dry let alone wet or white? Know how far it is to get into some of that country or climb 2k ft just to look? Be able to not just "kill" a goat but try and remain somewhat reserved and find the right one...... I'm in doubt.

It is getting pretty late in the game to close the deal on a goat, I think. When I killed my last goat, many years ago, it was about this date.

It is not like goats have to come down off the cliffs and ledges they prefer. There was very little mountain above my goat. It was on a ridgeline above 10000 feet. The weather was brutal, cold and more than a little wind. There was snow but not much. If there had been more,, the country would have been exceedingly dangerous.

With what the weather is doing presently, it is not going to be easier over the next number of days. Horses can get you into the back country. They can't get you to where the goats actually are. You are still left with climbing that is far too dangerous for a horse.

The difficulty I had years ago was not finding them but physically getting close enough for a shot at one, with the hours of daylight left in a day. There were times that stalks had to be abandoned because the mountain offered no safe way to get close enough.

I empathize with the OP's dilemma. The tag is rare, not many chances in a lifetime. I have two horses that can go to the mountains tomorrow. Part of me would like to help. But,,, while living close to the Beartooths,,, I know other mountain ranges much better. I could not put my horses on a trail I do not know when it is this time of year.

A few years ago, I ate a moose tag. It sucked but life goes on. The OP took a calculated risk by waiting for better hair. He hunted to the limit of his ability while navigating the risk in country that can kill you.

If he can accept the disappointment of leaving the tag unfilled,,, he owes no one an explanation for not trying harder.

I wouldn't let this weather harbor any thoughts about going again. I hunted sheep up there one year it put down over 40 inches in 2 days in the low country, on top of what was already there. 10 days later it was completely gone you never know what mother nature has in store for the tooths.

I bet going towards goose lake or into Fischer creek might present an opportunity for finding a goat as well. Is that face above Cooke on the east side of highway within the district? I'm not disclosing a name but anyone who knows the zone knows what I'm talking about. I always see goat in it

FYI. I lived in Montana for many years, Boulder, Townsend and Roundup. I have relatives all over the state. I know what the high country can dish out. Snowing here now too, looks like winter is here to stay.

Thanks for the forecast Mr. Cantori..... first sign of snow this season and it's here to stay maybe, maybe not. Week after next they're forecasting 70s.....

There's plenty of places around Cooke to go.

The experts say we are in for a colder than normal winter.
Having participated in a handful of goat hunts and decades of mountain experience I was pretty excited to draw one year. First mistake was waiting to get through bowhunting elk. Cuz then it started snowing. Dumb. My hunt turned ugly. Temperatures plummeted, blizzard conditions, damn grizzlies showing up, hunting solo, thigh deep snow, and goats disappeared. I stuck with it but ended up shooting a sub par goat(my standards) at 10k just before dark. Boned it out on a slope that I was sure would slide. It was scary mountain weather. Made it out intact 5 miles later.
Point is, I felt my window was quickly closing.
A week later it warmed up,snow melted, weather calmed down. I felt moderate satisfaction....I took on the mountain, shot a goat all on my own...but I could have done more. Hard lesson, which I still grumble over. Not likely I will ever get a chance at redemption. Greenhorn can be harsh but he is accomplished because he never let's of the gas. Goat hunts take determination, give it a rest and try again.
Good luck.

Thanks for the forecast Mr. Cantori..... first sign of snow this season and it's here to stay maybe, maybe not. Week after next they're forecasting 70s.....

I'm not a liberal like Cantori. Those 70's do sound nice though!

Been sending for big three tags for 35 years.......still waiting.

I’d be out there every day possible until the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

————————————————————

Of all the words of mice and men, The saddest are, “it might have been”.

-Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited:

That's cause I'm coming that week...

OP, given that I'm heading to MT for a long hunt you are pretty much guaranteed some more windows of opportunity before it snows Cooke city in for the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back