Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mr. Buddy propane heater.

mtmuley

Anybody use one of these in a smaller tent for heat? Supposed to be indoor safe apparently. Would like to use one in a 10x12 canvas tent on an upcoming hunt. Thanks in advance. mtmuley

We use one in a pop up camper with no problems. We have left it on all night on several occasions. I think with the pop up and even with a canvas tent there's enough air getting into them, especially when it's windy

I use a big buddy? in a 12x12 alaknak and in a 16' cargo trailer. I just in case got a CO2 detector for trailer, never had a problem. Keep propane outside ( buy20lb long hose kit). I have heard of problems with them woffking at elevation but so far up to 8000' no problems for me. I will say mine heats that trailer right up even on low, and helps when your drying stuff. Keep a vent or window cracked you will be good to go...

I'm looking at the smaller unit. Part of the reason is drying gear overnite while it is on. Would get a detector also. Just don't wanna die in my sleep. Rather chance that hunting. mtmuley

I have a big buddy so I can use the small fan it it to help circulate air and it is not my first choice. It uses a lot of propane and in a small space leaves a lot of condensation. I just picked up a little Honda eu2000 and I think it will be cheaper to run that with my 1500 watt ceramic heater. It won’t even make it raise off idle and will produce a dryer heat. I expect after testing I should make it thru the night on a gallon of gas. I will still have the buddy as backup.

I'm trying to go with the least amount of "stuff". Took a generator and other things I don't want to this time. mtmuley

For my tent camping and sitting in my one man fish house on the ice I just use a one burner top. Most people use them on top of the Coleman one pound tanks but with a elbow I put it on my 10 pound tank for the my ice clam and put it on the 20 pound tanks for in the tent. Heated my 10x14 flex bow well in early November and doubled as a stove top to boil water to make my vacuumed sealed meals in. I just had a CO2 detector with for piece of mind. Also much cheaper then a buddy heater.

We have a Kodiak with a vestibule. Use a Big Buddy to warm stuff up in the morning and dry clothes. Great tool.

C1C437AF-9CF0-4AE2-A258-C4DEACB5A6B3.jpg
Lil buddy heater hooked to a 15 pound propane kept us warm on November elk hunt in Wyoming. 10x12 older canvas tent. Just make sure to keep odd floor if it has a footprint.

I used a tank top heater on top of a 20# propane tank to heat 10x12 wall tent. Warm sleeping bags, heater off while sleeping. Tent got warm in 5 min. in the am @ 20 degrees. No issues @ 9-10K elevation. Used half the tank on 6 day hunt.

I have the Big Buddy, BIL has a smaller unit. They're rated the same BTUs for the low setting, so the big one doesn't use any more propane unless you crank it up. I've never put batteries in it for the fan either, works fine without.

We've used both in my Kodiak Canvas. I just use the 1 lb canisters, the Big Buddy holds 2 and will burn 8 hours or so on low. Last year in Wyoming (about 8500') it got down into the teens at night, stayed around 50 in the tent with the heater on low. I do use a CO detector.

I used a tank top heater on top of a 20# propane tank to heat 10x12 wall tent. Warm sleeping bags, heater off while sleeping. Tent got warm in 5 min. in the am @ 20 degrees. No issues @ 9-10K elevation. Used half the tank on 6 day hunt.

I used that system before. I have a tank top heater. Thought the Buddy might be nice to run a heater without having to deal with the worry of running it at night if I need to. mtmuley

Can't get myself to use one. You are burning gas which creates carbon dioxide, without proper ventilation CO2 will burn and turn into carbon monoxide and i would never trust a cheap CO detector to keep me alive. Probably to paranoid, comes with the job I guess.

We have used one for the past couple seasons in our canvas tent. We leave a little opening in the vent. We also take a good CO detector. It works well. Not quite as good as a wood stove, but it will work fine. If you keep air ventilation sufficent, CO isn't going to be a problem.

I use it in my Ice fishing tent .... works great. I always keep a little window open. I would check, however, I believe that these have a CO safety mechanism where the burner goes out if the CO gets too high. Maybe I am wrong.

good luck to all
the dog

I use my big buddy heater in a 12x14 canvas tent and keep a little vent in the peak unzipped about 3 inches. I've used it in my 24 foot camper before when the furnace was acting up, and in the hut for ice fishing. I really like it but it will use some gas. One 20lb bottle about every 3 nights. Good Luck with it I think you'll like it.

We don't use ours overnight. Warm up in the morning and before bed, never when sleeping. Have a friend who nearly died of CO poisoning and just can't do it.

Am actually looking at small wood stoves for when we will be set up for longer periods, but then I will worry about fire. No one answer I suppose.

The buddy heaters have an oxygen senor built in. Add a simple co alarm and you'll be fine. Those heaters are approved for indoor use. Two things to consider though. As mentioned keep the big tank outside. It will swear terribly inside. You have to use a big tank unless you wany to change small cylinders during the night. The other factor is they will release water vapor which can condensate the inside of a tent or camper. Out west the air is dry enough that its not an issue but here in the east it can be.

The paranoid guys will never say they are safe butthe radiant style burner is the same principal as the ones we have used in the chicken houses for years. They will use up oxygen and the flame will go out before CO becomes an issue. Hence the oxygen sensor.

Lil buddy works good in our dome tent. We keep the tank outside and have no issues unless being warm and dry is an issue. Ignore the worry warts

Back