Moving west and need some help choosing where!

My buddy is a nurse in Montana and loves it. He was born and raised in Wyoming and I don't think he'll ever move back. He's into snowboarding and stuff up there as well.

Another thing about Wyoming is there isn't a huge list of hospitals, and the ones there are you would be far fetched in calling them GREAT! The ones in Casper and Cheyenne might be better than I'm giving them credit for. All I know is nobody ever gets life flighted INTO Wyoming....everybody always goes out.

There also isn't a huge list of other outdoor activities besides those that deal with wildlife. There are a few scattered small ski areas and the one big one around Jackson. Other states offer a lot more obviously.

If you're into just hunting and fishing like me, then Wyoming is hard to beat....if you're into doing other things outside than there is probably a better fit. In my opinion.

Good posts here. As a Montanan, I'm partial to this state (and I tried to avoid reading Bambistew's comments - because I don't want to compare MT to AK and feel small time down here). That being said, I'd be curious to hear people's opinions about actual cities and towns they recommend. It's easy to say "Montana" or "Wyoming", but which town? I live in Missoula and am lucky to live out of town on a couple acres. There is a lot going on here, and if you're a young married couple, this town has a lot of great people who are into hunting, fishing and conservation. It gets a bad rap for being too hippie and crowded, but it's not a bad place at all. I can think of at least 4 elk herds within 6 miles of downtown. If my wife and I didn't have jobs, friends and a house here, I'd move somewhere smaller - maybe Dillon (4,000 or so, with a college and a hospital), Ennis (beautiful but small). I'm sure Ben has opinions, but Helena doesn't seem like a bad place. Lots of jobs, less crime, no big universities, and maybe the best brewery in the state - Blackfoot Brewing. My two cents - now somebody sell me on a town.

just to throw my two cents in here IDAHO I do have a bit of a bias though because I was born and raised here great fishing and hunting you have the option to hunt deer elk antelope goats moose the list keeps going also excellent fishing especially fly fishing, not sure if youre into that. I would look at the boise/ meridian area since your wife is going into the medical field very good hospitals down here and you arent far at all if you wanna get away and do some hunting or fishing, very good waterfowl hunting as well if you know where to be and when. shoot me a PM if you want more detailed information.

+1 on this. Also, welcome to PM me too.

just to throw my two cents in here IDAHO I do have a bit of a bias though because I was born and raised here great fishing and hunting you have the option to hunt deer elk antelope goats moose the list keeps going also excellent fishing especially fly fishing, not sure if youre into that. I would look at the boise/ meridian area since your wife is going into the medical field very good hospitals down here and you arent far at all if you wanna get away and do some hunting or fishing, very good waterfowl hunting as well if you know where to be and when. shoot me a PM if you want more detailed information.

Good posts here. As a Montanan, I'm partial to this state (and I tried to avoid reading Bambistew's comments - because I don't want to compare MT to AK and feel small time down here). That being said, I'd be curious to hear people's opinions about actual cities and towns they recommend. It's easy to say "Montana" or "Wyoming", but which town? I live in Missoula and am lucky to live out of town on a couple acres. There is a lot going on here, and if you're a young married couple, this town has a lot of great people who are into hunting, fishing and conservation. It gets a bad rap for being too hippie and crowded, but it's not a bad place at all. I can think of at least 4 elk herds within 6 miles of downtown. If my wife and I didn't have jobs, friends and a house here, I'd move somewhere smaller - maybe Dillon (4,000 or so, with a college and a hospital), Ennis (beautiful but small). I'm sure Ben has opinions, but Helena doesn't seem like a bad place. Lots of jobs, less crime, no big universities, and maybe the best brewery in the state - Blackfoot Brewing. My two cents - now somebody sell me on a town.

The only downside to Helena is how cliquish the town can be. It took us a few years to find a core group of friends. Being a gov't town, circles can be a little tight.

Other than that you're 50 miles from the Mo, Blackfoot, Jefferson & 60 miles from the Madison. You've got roadless areas all around and some fantastic elk & deer hunting. Good warm water fishing in the reservoirs and solid water-fowling too.

Upland hunting is a short drive up to the Front. Who can ask for more?

But I'd move to Twin Bridges in a heartbeat.

Lots of good info in this thread.

The west as a whole is a pretty awesome place, and I think you can take the appeals of everyone and their recommended western states on here as absolutely true.

I only know Montana. But like a lot of the other states discussed - it is an outdoorsman's paradise.

My wife is a nurse in Helena. There are Plenty of medical jobs near Montana's larger towns. I remember when she graduated 6 years ago, in the heart of the "recession", she really could've had a job in any region of the state.

I've lived in the Helena area, Bozeman, Missoula, and the Madison Valley.

In the words of TG Sheppard, "I loved 'em everyone".

Currently I am south of Helena 20 miles in Corbin. As Ben said, you're close to the Missouri, Jefferson, Boulder, and both Blackfoot Rivers. Lots of public land, the front within striking distance, and some of Montana's great lakes.

I am sure anywhere you pick in the west though you and your wife will love. Hope the move goes well.

Last edited:
Southeast Utah or Southwest Colorado. Moab, Grand Junction, Montrose, Durango are possible options.

Welcome to the west and start of your new life.

For towns in Wyoming...I would look at Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Sundance, and Sheridan.

I would have a tough time in Rawlins, Green River, Evanston, Gillette, and Rock Springs.

Personally, the most over-rated towns IMO, are Jackson and Cody...in particular Cody. I hate that place, and would be near the bottom of the places I'd ever live on planet earth.

in particular Cody. I hate that place, and would be near the bottom of the places I'd ever live on planet earth.

Makes me feel better about not getting an interview for a job there last week :(

I agree that Wyoming and Montana are tough to beat. Stream access is the only major drawback I see in Wyoming. Idaho would be third on my list.

For towns in Wyoming...I would look at Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Sundance, and Sheridan.

I would have a tough time in Rawlins, Green River, Evanston, Gillette, and Rock Springs.

Personally, the most over-rated towns IMO, are Jackson and Cody...in particular Cody. I hate that place, and would be near the bottom of the places I'd ever live on planet earth.

Watch it Buzz ;)

To pick a place in Wyoming if I were to start brand new would be Sheridan (or one of the small towns up that way) . Sundance is also a great choice. Pinedale probably in the top 5. Living in Jackson I wouldn't do....but anywhere from La Barge on up to Hoback Junction I would.

It is all good but there are big differences in climate (sunny winters or fog?), political views, religious views, education of the people, views on resource extraction/habitat protection, tourist towns, etc. And wind...

Attachments

• WYOWINDSOCK.JPG
    WYOWINDSOCK.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
These posts are AMAZING! Thank you all so much. We have a ton to consider and unless we buy an tv and tour around a bit, I've no idea how we're going to decide lol. All this advice is a wonderful place to start.

You'd have to put a pros/cons list together and really think hard as I know I couldn't make that decision. Luckily I let a longshot job application make my decision on which state to move to.

Good luck with your choice! That's a move I'm trying my hardest to get my wife to agree too. It's the same trio of states I'm shooting for as well.

Agree on Jackson and somewhat on Cody, but I think if you hunt & fish, Cody is close to heaven.

I'd add Lander in the mix of good towns as well. Having dealt with the healthcare community in Lander when dad had cancer, they're pretty good folks.

Good luck with your choice! That's a move I'm trying my hardest to get my wife to agree too. It's the same trio of states I'm shooting for as well.

Don't underestimate the importance of this ;). That was what I was getting at in my previous post. I had to leave SE Idaho to keep my wife from going insane. I wouldn't worry about finding the best hunting place because it is all going to be pretty good. Rather look for places based on the various climates (political, religious, social, weather, etc) that will be suitable to your spouse and you. For example, if your wife thinks shaving her legs is important avoid Missoula :D.

Don't underestimate the importance of this ;). That was what I was getting at in my previous post. I had to leave SE Idaho to keep my wife from going insane. I wouldn't worry about finding the best hunting place because it is all going to be pretty good. Rather look for places based on the various climates (political, religious, social, weather, etc) that will be suitable to your spouse and you. For example, if your wife thinks shaving her legs is important avoid Missoula :D.
I imagine that the worst place in any of the 3 states would be better than where I am. ;) At least it would be closer!

Funny you mention Twin Bridges, Ben - there or Alder or Sheridan are on my short list too.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back