Moving to a one gun battery (maybe)

brokfut

I have a dedicated elk rifle that was custom built just for me. It is a wildcat 30-338 on a Mauser FN action with a Karl Gustav 24" pipe. Super accurate and with Limb saver recoil pad and the KDF muzzle break it backs up like a .243. I also have a 280 Remington on the same FN action built with a 19 1/2 inch barrel. Losing just about 60 fps from full length barrel. If I went to the one gun for every thing, I'm pretty well convinced that the 280 with home rolled 150 grain partitions would take anything in North America that my 69 year old eyes can focus on. I've taken whitetail, mule deer, bear, antelope, elk, ground squirrels and a few other things. I know I have been over gunned for some things but never, ever felt under gunned. Any opinions anyone care to share? Agree? Disagree.

Not going to hear any argument from me. I love the 280 and 280AI.

I have an thing for 7mm's....but one gun is blasphemy.

Noharleyyet and I agree on many things, including 7MMs. I have had only one gun for 30 years now. A 7MM that loves hand loads and has killed everything from moose to jackrabbits. It has never failed me in any way during that time. No way I could or would "cheat" on her with another gun. We will be together until I am in the grave!

I chopped the stock on a beautiful little .308 Win and gave it to my great grandson for his birthday this year and gifted my 25-06 to my son. Just trying to simplify my life and down size a few things. Not considering quitting on anything but now we can share memories with them and the things that I loved. Still have a bunch of guns and still love to shoot/hunt. I'll probably die planning my next wilderness hunt at 80.

I'm all for one hunting rifle if everything goes as planned, though I keep a second on hand in case:
1)I take a roll down the hill, etc. and don't have time to check zero before another hunt
2)Family or friends come into town and need to borrow one

I'm not entirely utilitarian though, I've had a few wildcats and something a little different is just fun to have.

I firmly believe that you should always try to use the right tool for the job at hand.
I use a tack hammer for small nails and a sledgehammer for moving walls, etc.
To each his own .........

The african colonialists asked that very question from a very real place. They couldn't afford to run multiple guns but needed to put meat on the table while at the same time deal with dangerous animals. The answer was 9.3x62! It ranges from geco 185gn up to norma 325gn pils. Fits a standard length action and mild recoil, it's one hell of a cartridge that can hunt the world.

I own one rifle. A 270 WSM. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it from taking the heads off grouse to moose in the BWCA and just about everything in between. I’ve not felt any reason to own anything else. Your 280 would do the same for you.

im a one gun guy,,one for travelling the world and long range on tahr in our mountains and one for wallaby to wapiti,,the first is in 30 cal and the other my baby in 6.5 sitting in a 204 case,,killed wapiti using 125 gr partitions with it

Your .280 will more than cover anything that you care to hunt. I don't hunt elk much anymore, so my magnums are spending more time in the safe. I have become a 6.5 advocate, but I cannot talk myself into getting rid of my 7 mags, -06, .308, etc.

I have never shot a .280, but I gave some very serious consideration into purchasing one here recently. They sure look good on paper, quite versitile and there is a lot one can do with the 7mm bullet. I think your choice is a good one.

I think the question that needs asked to figure this out is what animals do you plan on hunting and what the most. If you hunt mostly big black bears, a 243 would certainly kill them but a 30-06 would be a better choice. On the other hand if it's mostly deer the 243 would be fine and it will kill a black bear. How about dangerous bears, grizzly and brown? I'm certain they can be handled by the 280 Rem with a 175gr load but a 30-06 with a 200gr bullet would make me feel better. I'd say a 300 mag but I wouldn't ever have another mag cartridge. I think the middle is probably the way to go and that has to be the 280 Rem. Very unappericated cartridge I think is one of several that are the best for North America. Consider the game most are likely to hunt. Count out grizzly/brown bears and count out moose for most of us and everything left can we handled very well with several different cartridges from 6.5 up to the 30-06. 280 is a good choice!

I'm having a rifle re-barreled this fall and setup as my primary do everything hunting rifle. It's a short action R700 and it's getting chambered in 7mm SAUM. 7SAUM is very close to 280ai. It should be a great all arounder with a 175g bullet, I'm hoping I can get it going at least 2800fps with hand loads. It should be suitable for pretty much anything except dangerous game.

I was using a .338 Win Mag for everything. Same bullet. Same load. Made it easy for me as got in more time at the gun range and built up a lot of experience with wind and angles and leads.

Then has an issue on a 75 yard shot on a pronghorn. I now added a second rifle, 7mm-08. So, now have a second rifle but only use one bullet and load in that rifle.

Wise man has one gun and shoots it well.

I normally shoot a 6.5 X 284 that I built. Before this gun I had a .243 that I used all the time but that is now more of a truck gun in case a yote decides to commit suicide.

thought I'm working on filling up my second safe.......but that includes a bunch of shotguns, pistols, guns for kids, ect..........yeah I've got a few to many guys but a wise man has one gun and shoots it well.

Cartridge isn't important. Anything in the mid range (280, 270, 30-06, 284 ect) will kill anything you are going to hunt. If you decide you need to go hunt something big (moose, brown bear, griz) then buy a big gun but I get the feeling that you aren't going down that road.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back