Move to Whitefish MT or Star Valley(area) WY?

elkocd

So... I'm reaching a point where my son will be done with HS in the next year. I have worked remotely for 20 years so I can choose to live where ever I want. I love hunting both MT and WY. State taxes are an issue, so I would say that combined with the hunting puts WY on the top. BUT... my GFs kids are super into competitive skiing and the idea of living right in a ski town is very appealing for Whitefish.

Any of you spend enough time in both or either to give me a good opinion?

I've never lived in either myself but spent a fair bit of time in both areas. I live in Teton County WY and my brother lives in Kalispell. I'll shoot you a pm.

The median cost of a home in Whitefish is $367,000.

That is about $100,000 less than where I am now and I own a couple properties here so it would be cheaper there than where I am. I'd likely sell one of them here. WA, does not have income tax so I would be paying 6.9% more in MT, but property taxes are super high here as well as high sales tax so it would not be a deal killer. I do like that WY has no income tax. A LOT!

That is about $100,000 less than where I am now and I own a couple properties here so it would be cheaper there than where I am. I'd likely sell one of them here. WA, does not have income tax so I would be paying 6.9% more in MT, but property taxes are super high here as well as high sales tax so it would not be a deal killer. I do like that WY has no income tax. A LOT!

MT's property taxes are on the high side. So you get an income tax & high property taxes, but no sales tax. WY has sales tax & is likely to move to an income tax as fossil fuel economies dry up & die.

Move to Wyoming, come here to ski.

Whitefish is great to visit, but is a tourist trap so everything is more expensive. Plus I've heard bad news about The Great Northern Brewery's future.

I lived near Whitefish nearly 20 years ago now, the Flathead Valley in general was a pretty fun spot for me at 21. Have had some great days at Big Mtn. for sure. Don't have any experience with Star Valley, but my experiences with NW Wyoming in general have been great. Would be a tough choice for me. Hunting-wise, I'd probably go with Wyoming. For the skiing, the access to Big Mtn is hard to beat, but I'm sure there's alternatives in Wyoming that would work. I'll suspect you'll enjoy whichever spot you end up in though, good luck!

Close to $3k.

Plus whatever the tax increase from a new TIF round would be.

Here in WA where I'm at I'm paying a lot more than that, plus I'm surrounded by "progressives" that would like me to be paying 1/2 my income to help fund every dirt bag that wants to live in the NW and not work.

My preference is WY. Would probably not be in the Star Valley if it was all up to me, but the GFs kids are so into skiing and such that if I don't want to go alone I have to be near a good ski area ;) Alpine looks nice, but any closer to Jackson is way out of my pay scale.

I'll be in WY this fall for my 6th elk hunt in the last decade or so. Truly my favorite place on earth and my dream is living there.

I'd live in Driggs or Victor ID, but that kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to be a resident in one f the states I love to hunt.

Move to Wyoming, come here to ski.

Whitefish is great to visit, but is a tourist trap so everything is more expensive. Plus I've heard bad news about The Great Northern Brewery's future.

Great Northern's done and gone. Their beer sucked though. Kalispell is 15 minutes from Whitefish, that's plenty close. That being said, if hunting is a priority, WY is going to be a better bet unless you really like mountain whitetail. You will have company pretty much anywhere you hunt though in NW Montana unless you really like to hike.

Great Northern's done and gone. Their beer sucked though. Kalispell is 15 minutes from Whitefish, that's plenty close. That being said, if hunting is a priority, WY is going to be a better bet unless you really like mountain whitetail. You will have company pretty much anywhere you hunt though in NW Montana unless you really like to hike.

I do really like to hike ;)

Or ride... this is my bull from MT last year.

bike1.jpg

No offense meant ... and I did have concern for my GF's son and daughter. However, they did not heavily factor into life's choices until they became my stepson and stepdaughter. But then I'm the dinosaur infused with ancient American ethos.

I just made the move to Star Valley from Northern California and I am loving it. Animals every direction, nice conservative lifestyle. Property is expensive and goes quick. Hit me up if you need further, I am looking for a hunting partner that is willing to hike haha! [email protected]

Taxes: Added w/ other MT taxes, Whitefish has it's resident beloved, resort tax.

Elk: Region One (Whitefish, etc) holds the worst elk harvest statistics for all elk focused regions in MT. (1XX)

Skiing: Whitefish recently greased some serious Ski Magazine palms to garner a review that rated us a "top three" ski resort in America... While enjoyable, we are farrrr from the top three in America.

And of course, politics...

Individual Campaign Contributions in Whitefish, MT
In the last 4 years (2015-2018), there were 2,876 contributions totaling $387,907 to Democratic and liberal campaigns, averaging $135 per contribution.

In the last 4 years, there were 569 contributions totaling $340,160 to Republican and conservative campaigns, averaging $598 per contribution.

(source: Federal Election Commission)

Note: Whitefish, MT population: 7.5-8k.
A blessing or a curse for the wealthy few in Whitefish, pick your political poison to decide. 😉

As for WY... I lived just outside Jackson for a little over three years back 99-02 w/a Moran, WY PO box.
Beautiful country! Great hunting! Great skiing (Teton Village/Snow King)! Tax heaven! The downside? Jackson was going to sh!t then and having visited a few years ago, I'm glad I'm out of that Jackson Hell Hole!
Whitefish is what Jackson was 20 years ago w/o the great surrounding elk country. Whitefish may possibly turn into a MT version of WY's hell hole. If that's your fancy... Well, best in your decision.

I love my area. Bummed over R 1's ridiculous elk management tag giveaway and excessively restrictive Northern Whitefish (110) wolf quota of only 2 per year for one of the most heavily populated wolf areas in all MT...
Whitefish multi generational family hunt areas of past, a vastly different world today...

Hey, but seasonal ski tickets are fair price. 🙂

Did you look at the Pinedale area too? Closer to good skiing. Although the Billionaires are pushing the Millionaires out of Jackson and they are going that way...

Citydata.com has a good comparison feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back