• 6.5 CM

• 6.5 PRC

• 7mm-08

• .280 Rem

• .280 AI

• .308 Win

• .270 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
My gut says 280 AI but I was strolling across the western slopes shopping for 300 Weatherby. Didn’t find one box. If I can’t find 300 Weatherby, no way I’m finding 280 AI.

270 is your huckleberry

I did .308 just because I am a 30 caliber guy. I also dont have alot of interest in building or buying the lightest gun possible.

Theres alot of gear I look at, that weight is a consideration. Not so much a gun. If im worried the 7lb gun will hurt my hunt more then the 5lb gun, then my ass needs to go to the gym.

Id take the Tikka T3X Roughtech Ember in 300WM for just about anything.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. With factory break, it is quite easy to shoot recoil wise. So that would get my vote. But following your question exactly as proposed (you are building a spec gun to sell), 6.5CM would be my final answer. Ammo options are great with increasing options for bullet weights of 130-140. It’s easy to shoot and accurate as hell. That should offer forgiveness in light rifle package. My Seekins PH2 in 6.5CM has been deadly so far. I settled on Barnes LRX copper bullets. Im nervous to use for elk, but I know that’s somewhat unfounded as long as I do my job. That said, for sub optimal hits heavier bullets always better. Sorry for the random thoughts.

Probably defer to 6.5 creedmoor. I like the 6mm version a little better but I think a lot of hunters might think it's "not enough gun" for them so it might have fewer buyers.
I'm the same way. I'd likely go 6mm CM for myself, but for selling I think the 6.5 CM is a no brainer.

Barrel length 18-22 depending on cartridge.
Contour also depends on caliber. #3 at the lightest, #5 fluted at the heaviest. 3lb max for barrel weight.

You could always put an order in!

The .270 would be on the spicy side..

PRC ammo is definitely easier to come by. Worried about recoil but it'll be threaded.

7-08 is good all the way around. Not sure how popular it is outside of HT though..

.270 has 20-30% less recoil than 30-06.

Good point. Barrel will be threaded so shooter will have the option to tame it down. Thinking of including a timed brake along with a thread protector.

Both are solid choices. The lighter rifles do present a challenge but they're great to carry.
Scoped weight would probably be in the 6.5-7lb range.
Given the barrel choice and length I changed my vote to 6.5CM due to popularity and available factory ammo.
If you’re building more than 1 then 270Win would be next choice.

I could be wrong but aren't they the newer calibers too. I think that has a lot to do with it. People choosing to try something new, and new shooters and hunters going with the current popularity.
I guess I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm about to build a super heavy, super big Dangerous Game Rifle in 404 Jeffery on a Mauser action. I'm doing it mostly for fun and, like OP, potentially for sale. Curiously, the 404 was one of the earliest compact DGRs (vs 500 to 700 Nitro). Dates back to circa 1905. It was eclipsed by 416 Rigby then 458 Lott and later by several American semi failed attempts. Recently the 404 Jeffery has been reborn as a milder kicking thumper available in mere long bolt action (not necessarily magnum action). It has the potential to become the North American working man's affordable safari gun (vs $20,000 double rifles). As African hunting becomes more affordable (and it can already be surprisingly affordable) and North American big game hunting becomes increasingly overrun, I can see quite a niche ahead for this kinda gun. Also, just because it's a big bore doesn't mean it's too big for most North American game or African plains game. I have seen deer skinned out that were shot with 45-70 and really quite amazed at the lack of damage. Big hole in, same big hole going out, and hardly any bloodshot on either side. Just means the hunter has to do some hunting instead of lobbing. The overriding concern, of course, is ammo expense. The Jeff is not something to use for plinking! Besides twenty bucks a round, the recoil, albeit relatively mild for a DGR, is still something to reckon with.

So yeah, I can sympathize with OP's objective. Look at where the market is. May not make total sense ... but we know how much common sense weighs with us gun nuts.

Why do you have to argue with absolutely everything!? This isn't a safari rifle, it's not meant to be a bear gun. A mountain rifle needs to be easy to carry in a chambering that's manageable both on and off the bench. If you're not comfortable shooting at the range you won't be comfortable shooting at hair.
Don’t pay him any attention P_ham.

Of course everyone knows you must always carry a rifle big enough for grizzlies or else it’s certain death. 😁

If you're looking for guick selling and factory ammo, I'd say the 6.5 CM or PRC or 308. I'm not sure what the hangup is for some on the Creedmoor, but that's not what I'd call a new cartridge and it won't ever be going away. The only Creedmoor I own is a QuarterMoor, but I like the whole family; 22, 6, 25, 6.5 even the 7.

I guess I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm about to build a super heavy, super big Dangerous Game Rifle in 404 Jeffery on a Mauser action. I'm doing it mostly for fun and, like OP, potentially for sale. Curiously, the 404 was one of the earliest compact DGRs (vs 500 to 700 Nitro). Dates back to circa 1905. It was eclipsed by 416 Rigby then 458 Lott and later by several American semi failed attempts. Recently the 404 Jeffery has been reborn as a milder kicking thumper available in mere long bolt action (not necessarily magnum action). It has the potential to become the North American working man's affordable safari gun (vs $20,000 double rifles). As African hunting becomes more affordable (and it can already be surprisingly affordable) and North American big game hunting becomes increasingly overrun, I can see quite a niche ahead for this kinda gun. Also, just because it's a big bore doesn't mean it's too big for most North American game or African plains game. I have seen deer skinned out that were shot with 45-70 and really quite amazed at the lack of damage. Big hole in, same big hole going out, and hardly any bloodshot on either side. Just means the hunter has to do some hunting instead of lobbing. The overriding concern, of course, is ammo expense. The Jeff is not something to use for plinking! Besides twenty bucks a round, the recoil, albeit relatively mild for a DGR, is still something to reckon with.

So yeah, I can sympathize with OP's objective. Look at where the market is. May not make total sense ... but we know how much common sense weighs with us gun nuts.
For sure, we have a Mauser Bolt Action 458 Lott at our shop and the Federal Safari box of ammo is like $185 for 20 rounds.

A lot of leftover 6.5 Creedmoor's around here. From what I see a lot of target and long range guys liking it. However the hunting guys are staring to like the PRC rounds better and also moving to the 7 and 300 PRC. Its still nice to see the younger kids come in here buying there first rifle and still looking at 30-06 and .270s

I would guess that the choice of cartridge is tied closely to your target market. Since you are using a fairly inexpensive action with a total cost of approximately $2,000 I doubt that you are really trying to sell to fellows with deep pockets that tend to like classic cartridges. If that is the case, then probably the best choice would be the most current cartridge that has low recoil and an internet based reputation for long range effectiveness. Something with either Creedmoor or PRC for a name.
Good luck with your project.

Really looking forward to seeing this play out, also really curious to see what route you go with stock. Fingers crossed for a .270 or .308 option for the geezers.
I am with you on this one. 308 would be my first choice, with extra bullet diameter. 270 is my second. For me, in a light rifle, I have to have a brake. I have a Christensen Mesa in 308 that tips the scales at 7.75lbs with a scope and it is actually a pleasure to shoot. Had a Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 270 Win, no brake. That thing hurt, but I am old and broken. Haha.

For sale would be one of the 6.5s. Manbun if you’re selling to fenceposts and PRC if high speed low drag geeks.

My personal vote is 270. I got to 270 from an ‘06 and the change in recoil made range time fun again. There ought to be a resurgence of interest in that 6.8mm/.277 what with the military 6.8 Sig, but that’ll be years off before we see that. With mono 110 bullets, 270 really shines sending them 3,300fps for me. Though I’ve now reloaded four kinds of 270 bullets 100gr-140gr and got them all MOA or better. Most anemic, that 140 putz, was still 2,900fps. 270 is as flat in the mountains as it is in the prairie. Yet all of this makes no sense to some buyers because their brother in law shot a deer with a 6.5whatsit…

Wonder how light a rifle will have to get to satisfy he mountain rifle crowd? I doubt I'll ever hunt elk again. Shooting them is no problem, getting them out at my age is! My choice for hunting from that list would likely be the 6.5 Creedmoor but, already have a 260 Rem on order, 6.5x55 and a 6.5x06 in the cabnit. My 6.5x55 is a mod 70 featherweight so handle's heavier loads than the old mauser actions.

Wonder how light a rifle will have to get to satisfy he mountain rifle crowd? I doubt I'll ever hunt elk again. Shooting them is no problem, getting them out at my age is! My choice for hunting from that list would likely be the 6.5 Creedmoor but, already have a 260 Rem on order, 6.5x55 and a 6.5x06 in the cabnit. My 6.5x55 is a mod 70 featherweight so handle's heavier loads than the old mauser actions.
I want 6 poundish might give 6.5 pounds before scope.

Currently using a Kimber Montana 84l that starts at 5 pounds 11 ounces.

I wouldn’t buy a 6.5 anything as a dedicated elk rifle. I want something 7mm flavor, preferably 280ai.

If you're looking for guick selling and factory ammo, I'd say the 6.5 CM or PRC or 308. I'm not sure what the hangup is for some on the Creedmoor, but that's not what I'd call a new cartridge and it won't ever be going away. The only Creedmoor I own is a QuarterMoor, but I like the whole family; 22, 6, 25, 6.5 even the 7.
I don't understand the hangups around the 6.5 CM either. It's simply a case of a certain size propelling a bullet of a certain caliber within a certain range of speed.

What Hornady did with it that was noteworthy, is design the case at the proper length, so that bullet with a BC in the high 5s or low to mid 6s could fit in a short action magazine without constraints. If you like long actions, then great, it's probably not for you.

It's also at a sweet spot in the recoil vs performance spectrum. Almost anyone can shoot decent volume with it without getting beat up.

Remington made a ton of mistakes with the 260 Remington with twist rates, marketing, etc. Hornady did an exemplary job of fixing those. I've had both, and while the 260 is a great cartridge, it's not hard to see why the Creedmoor is quite a bit more popular.

If the 6.5 CM gives you heartburn, you'd better get used to it, because it's not going away.

If the 6.5 CM gives you heartburn, you'd better get used to it, because it's not going away.
Yeah, but like the bratty kid next door, you can ignore it! :cautious:

I'm waiting to see what the first one ends up being weight wise.
Along with cost.

22" in a 7mm-08, don't need the barrel threaded, or the thread protector.
Trying to help keep costs down..;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back