• 6.5 PRC

• 7mm-08

• .280 Rem

• .280 AI

• .308 Win

• .270 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.

p_ham

Building a lightweight hunting rifle to SELL. Target weight is something around 5.5lb. No punishing cartridges here, stick to the list. Something with factory ammo available.
Cast a vote, you only get 1, just looking to see what's most popular. Generally speaking, I know 6.5 CM and PRC are the big sellers out of this list, but it hurts me to admit that.

The factory ammo availability parameter will exclude some of the otherwise good cartridges listed. When’s the last time anyone saw 280AI on the shelf? One offering on ammoseek though. Ammo scarcity is the one reason I don’t personally own a rifle in that cartridge.

With ''mabe'' the exception of the 6mm, I would be fine with any of those rounds.....
my personal choice would be the .280 a,i
or the 7MM Remington express(.280). its all about a nice
light rifle,/REALLY GOOD STOCK fit,LIGHT SCOPE but with enough omphhh, to put down the unexpected grizz. that sneeks up on you while it was digging up marmots!!!
yes,I am one of those people who has that big worry about those ''not so cuddly ''
friends of TIMMY TREADWELL or Andy Russel's idiot son,CHARLIE.but then, how much notice would I get that I need to pop out the clip and install the extra clip with N.P's or SWIFT A Frames......

.270 is my baby, but to get to those weights you’ll need all the help you can get- .308 and the shorter action gets by vote.

Since I reload, I would choose the 280AI, but, if actual “in stock” factory ammo is a requirement, I would go with the 6.5 PRC. I don’t have one myself but my daughter used a borrowed 6.5 PRC, with factory ammo, on two elk last year. Both dropped in their tracks.

I voted 7mm-08 because I feel it is the best short action, light recoiling round out there. It doesn't excel at any one thing but does almost everything well.
That said, if I was looking to make one to sell, I'd go 6.5 prc just because of all the interest out there for it.

I’m also in the camp that the Ackley is probably the most practical of those choices. If factory ammo ever becomes readily available I’ll buy one.

For my intentions I can flip a coin between 270 and 7mm-08 and be perfectly content however it comes out. I voted 7-08 in this case because you asked for a mountain cartridge and we might as well have the tiny weight/length advantage of a short action. I’m very interested to see this finished product…

Why exclude 30-06 but include 270? If hunting mountains in Montana I would be after elk and maybe have to fend off G bears. I think I'd like to have the option of jumping to 180 gr if needed. A five pound rifle that will kill an elk is going to beat up the shooter no matter what. May as well add a bit of defense capability to the package.

Depends on what your hunting for. me. My mountain gun is a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 6-5-300. Ammo is readily available. 5lb gun.

I guess the 6.5 PRC from your list. but i prefer a little more poop.

This will be fun thread. What contour barrel and length?
Barrel length 18-22 depending on cartridge.
Contour also depends on caliber. #3 at the lightest, #5 fluted at the heaviest. 3lb max for barrel weight.

I appreciate your thread but I’m out since the 30-06 wasn’t an option. Would have probably bought the rifle too because I appreciate the work I’ve seen from you. Darnit
You could always put an order in!

.270 is my baby, but to get to those weights you’ll need all the help you can get- .308 and the shorter action gets by vote.
The .270 would be on the spicy side..

Since I reload, I would choose the 280AI, but, if actual “in stock” factory ammo is a requirement, I would go with the 6.5 PRC. I don’t have one myself but my daughter used a borrowed 6.5 PRC, with factory ammo, on two elk last year. Both dropped in their tracks.
PRC ammo is definitely easier to come by. Worried about recoil but it'll be threaded.

I’m also in the camp that the Ackley is probably the most practical of those choices. If factory ammo ever becomes readily available I’ll buy one.

For my intentions I can flip a coin between 270 and 7mm-08 and be perfectly content however it comes out. I voted 7-08 in this case because you asked for a mountain cartridge and we might as well have the tiny weight/length advantage of a short action. I’m very interested to see this finished product…
7-08 is good all the way around. Not sure how popular it is outside of HT though..

Why exclude 30-06 but include 270? If hunting mountains in Montana I would be after elk and maybe have to fend off G bears. I think I'd like to have the option of jumping to 180 gr if needed. A five pound rifle that will kill an elk is going to beat up the shooter no matter what. May as well add a bit of defense capability to the package.
.270 has 20-30% less recoil than 30-06.

The 6.5s are the hot sellers right now and factory ammo for both is top notch but the 6.5 prc is going to be a bit snorty at 5.5lbs for most so I went 6.5 creedmoor
Good point. Barrel will be threaded so shooter will have the option to tame it down. Thinking of including a timed brake along with a thread protector.

I'd go toss up between 7mm08 and 308. Not trendy cartridges these days but do well.

Pointing a 5.5lb rifle can be a challenge for a lot of people. I wonder if giving it a few more ounces wouldn't hurt.
Both are solid choices. The lighter rifles do present a challenge but they're great to carry.
Scoped weight would probably be in the 6.5-7lb range.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back