Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mountain Goat Issue's in Utah

UT put those goats in the RNA against the will of the FS, setting themselves up for a lawsuit. It seemed like a foolish notion from the outset, as the La Sal's are such a small, isolated patch of habitat.

Colorado is not without its critics of non-native goats.

The Goats are the owned by the people of Utah. Funny that the Eviro's are asking the Forest Service to remove the states Goats. Thats like us asking the Forest Service to remove wolves.

Last edited:
Not the first time UT DWR has released critters on state lands surrounded by federal lands, nor will it be the last. It's a bit of a NEPA loophole...

A long time ecologist I worked with in UT stated that the rare/sensitive plant issue was brought up by one person years ago before the first transplant. He said it got, at most, a shoulder shrug in response...

This is will provide lots of talking points/coverage for those in Utah in favor of state ownership of federal lands.

Not the first time UT DWR has released critters on state lands surrounded by federal lands, nor will it be the last. It's a bit of a NEPA loophole...

A long time ecologist I worked with in UT stated that the rare/sensitive plant issue was brought up by one person years ago before the first transplant. He said it got, at most, a shoulder shrug in response...

This is will provide lots of talking points/coverage for those in Utah in favor of state ownership of federal lands.

Agree with you here Pointer. I was thinking the same thing.

Gotcha. I assumed they were the same issue in two different places.

Well, I guess so...sort of. But the UDWR put goats in the La Sal Mtns on purpose, against the wishes of the USFS. The issue in Dinosaur is that a goat or 2 wandered 50 miles from a place they were introduced with the USFS blessing.

My understanding of the issue is the FS was mute through the public input process and asked for a delay at the last minute so they could further study the issue. The good ol boys of the wildlife board said "you had your chance and missed it, we are going to put them out as planned."
It pissed off the FS supervisor so it's been a pissing match since. Not sure how much I believe they are damaging the plants. If not goats, sheep have been in these places in recent history. In northern Utah the FS botanist cry's about the trail erosion the goats cause. You can see the trails in historic photos from before goats were introduced here. The area is open to motorbikes and that is where most of the erosion comes from.

In Montana, the Pryor mountains have a few plants that are found no where else on Earth, as well as very unique micro-climates from arid high desert, to lush forest on top.
There is no where else in the world like it.
It is also trampled with non native, feral horses, that are protected by a cult-like following of horse advocates that make the 'howling for wolves' looneys look tame.

Then there's the sage grouse... the six pound bird capable of bringing mining, drilling and ranching to a screeching hault. If we are serious about protecting the sage grouse, when do we start shooting the horses that trample their leks?

If one goat = bad, doesn't tens of thousands of horses = imminent need for removal?

All joking aside I say get used to the idea. If feral horses continue to be "managed" as they have been they will be the only big game species we have left

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back