Most rewarding experience - private vs. Public lands

Oak there's no pictures.. and wow I exaggerate. I looked back at my last post. That buck I drew on might have only been 15 3/4 and come to think of it that elk was only about 7 miles in.. all hunters are the same - totally full of crap. I hope I shoot my new rifle Sunday.

You should add..... "Do you feel satisfied shooting a Big ELK of a LE tag" ? The reality is I killed th biggest bull of my life in Utah on a draw hunt and with some GREAT friends. I dumped 6k into a 1/2 body mount and I have the Picture framed on my desk. But... Was it a HArd "Satisfying" hunt ? Not really... We glassed and shot it right off a road. Wasn't hard at all. Any Retard could have kilt it.

I've worked harder for Spikes I've killed. A LOT harder... But I still like the Elk just the same.

You should have mounted some of those spikes, lifesize. :D only thing more unsatisfying that shooting a big animal on an easy hunt, whether it's private land or LE permit, is eating one of those hard to come by permits after hunting your ass off for a week or more. Or better yet, eating your tag after a solid effort and seeing some fat woman displaying her monster elk antlers from the bull she shot. I've seen that.. damn funny, but thankfully wasn't my permit.

Like i said, I'll be the first in line for my big elk paradise ranch. But I do have to admit I find it funny when you see a GIANT elk laying in the middle of a hay field then you read the DIY extreme hardcore backcounty bowhunting story about it. That's funny stuff no doubt.

"I will dominate you!" .. inside joke.

here's a shot from the archery sheep hunt I was on last week.. pretty EXTREME, huh!! Bad Ass!
camrunheins.jpg

here's another shot of that same rock.. and my 8yr old. Who did real good hiking up over 1000 ft. :D
lookingatsheep.jpg

I'm all about whatever is within your ability. I have a ranch just north of Elk Whisper's that allows me to hunt on occasion. I've gone out there 4 days this year and have seen monsters everytime. Had a 370 bull at 35 yards with no shot. I've probably seen 25 different bulls out there but no luck. I've shot 3 over the past 6 years out there with my bow. It is not a gimmee. The nice thing about these places is the abudance of animals and no other pressure from hunters screwing up your hunt. Other than that they are still elk and spook all the same when the wind changes just before you release the arrow. It's a real treat when I get the chance and jump at every chance I get. Can't believe that most of you wouldn't do the same. On the other hand I love taking my horses into camp into the Lee Metcalf as well and trying to fool the bigguns that live there. I've done that for 20 years now and have great memories up there as well.

I love this site for the fact that we can post picts and stories without getting harassed about every detail. MonsterMulies is the worst for this. Guided or Unguided I would never judge anyone because I don't know their situation ie..health, time restraints or whatever else.
Hopefully this thread won't discourage anyone from posting picts or stories as I don't think that was RockyDogs intent. May we all become friends with "Laying it Down" and shoot those easy Central Montana monsters;)

BTW Sweet "rock star" Move on that rock Kurt

I guess A, but it wasn't always like that. My first elk was a cow back in 98 on my first DIY hunt I put together myself, that was a sweet hunt! Then I come back East and all the Elk Experts talk up these hunts they go on, Ted's place, Three Forks and they're saying come go with us. Well to do that means I have to price my buddies out of a hunt and that is how I try to arrange my hunts so C would never be an option for me. And yes I drool over their Trophies! John

Since the question is "rewarding", A without a doubt. Would I turn down a shot at C, no way.

The first bull I shot was off a road with my dogs along and my 17 month old daughter in the truck...I felt NOTHING for that elk.. the last bull I killed, I tracked in the snow for several hours, snuck around in the timber looking for him, made a good shot (well...eventually) and packed him all out on my own through a foot of snow, sidehill, no trail, deadfall...blah, blah, blah..

No matter what, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to whack a 360+ bull on a ranch/easy hunt, but there is NO way it would mean more or be more satisfying than that little 250 bull was... no way.

If I ever bust my ass and kill a 350 bull on public, i'd probably cream myself....

Greeny, The spikes aren't as inpressive as the Utah bull. Don't mix apples and oranges here. I think the topic was about Rewarding, not Impressive to look at. Like you, I like moutning them with the Big Racks .... :p

I'll say A, but will admit that I'll never, ever turn down a chance to hunt good private ground.
Starting a couple years ago I got access to an amazing little ranch right on the Bighole River, absolutely crawling with whitetail. I've never hunted a day there without passing on multiple 120-130 inch bucks. That being said I'm planning on hunting an area for mule deer that requires a three mile hike in before shooting light, with about a thousand feet elevation gain. I have no doubt I'll hunt that spot more than the ranch. So I guess I'm saying having these ranches is awesome and takes some of the pressure off, but there's something lacking in it adventure-wise.
Not sure how much of this is applicable though with being deer instead of elk.

I like any 'respectible' hunt...whether public or private land.
The thing I dont like are high fence areas and show up and shoots where no knowledge, preparation, skill or effort is required...the game needs to be wild and have free range in natural settings.
If you're out hunting, fully legal, making it happen, making mistakes, learning as you go and enjoying yourself with friends/family...then its good.

well thanks guys this has clinched it for me. Im cashing out my 5 year old sons college savings account so i can hunt 5 days on a ranch. When he is old enough to hunt i will explain to him that public land hunts arent worthwhile and then let him stroke my huge rack on the wall.

Yeah i will. No, i wont. Yes i will. OK not in a million years....unless i hot the lottery. Then ill be there right beside the big boys pointing at the other side of the fence and laughing. ;)

Who am I kidding. C all the way. Another way to look at this. Would you rather (A) pick up an average looking gal in Browning, MT, (B) a pretty good one in Bozeman, or (C) a total hottie with fake boobs down in Brazil? It is an easy choice if you ask me.

silent but deadly...thats a young bull way to size up the situation...us older bulls would hunt in each of the mentioned areas and ph#$k them all...lol ;)

[/Who am I kidding. C all the way. Another way to look at this. Would you rather (A) pick up an average looking gal in Browning, MT, (B) a pretty good one in Bozeman, or (C) a total hottie with fake boobs down in Brazil? It is an easy choice if you ask me. QUOTE]

This depends on some variables. Does A have teeth? Would B pack elk, and like to act out fantasies? Is C, a sniveling bimbo with no S drive?

There is more to hunting and woman than looks. The trophy quality and desire to possess, goes up with it's rarity and achievability to others. If its off limits to the average person, then the trophy quality diminishes. At least to me.

Being from the Southeast...most everything we hunt is private land, with the occassional draw hunt on state land.

So why do guys in the west make such a BIG deal of private v/s public hunting?

What is the difference? If you drew a tag and hunt public land or pay a trespass fee to hunt private land or maybe have a friend and hunt on private land...what is the difference?

I have watched you guys talk about this for 8 years and I still can't figure it out?

I can see if you use a Outfitter...but don't understand your stances on public v/s private?

A good friend of mine went to Wy a few years back to kill a pronghorn...he paid a rancher a $75 trespass fee and spent a week on that ranch, "on their own", and killed his goat. Does it lessen his experience being as he was on private land v/s public land...I think not.

Last edited:
So why do guys in the west make such a BIG deal of private v/s public hunting?
I have watched you guys talk about this for 8 years and I still can't figure it out?

Because it makes some of em feel superior. Wait for it....here comes the state specific methodology chorus.:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back