Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Most rewarding experience - private vs. Public lands

Because it makes some of em feel superior. Wait for it....here comes the state specific methodology chorus.:cool:

HA! Mornin'...
I hunt public land in TX because I can't see paying so much money for a lease. Just cheap, I guess.
But I've been able to put together quality hunts on public land here by scouting the areas throughout the year and learning as much about the place as I can before the season opens. Then when the season opens you have to pattern what the other hunters are doing and plan your hunt accordingly. This scouting is as much fun as the hunting for me, and you usually have the woods all to yourself.
It may take you several seasons to figure out the best strategies, but it does offer challenges you might not encounter on private land... depending on the size of the lease and whether or not there are high fences involved.
I'm not an advocate of high fences by any stretch. That's just not fair chase, IMO, that's game farming. Even if you're dealing w/ large acreage, if they can't escape an area, it's got a stench to it in my mind.
Much of the public land here is managed by TX Parks and Wildlife as WMA's. They do a lot of habitat work that can be very beneficial to wildlife. Plus their seasons in these areas are usually shorter than the general seasons. If you're a weekend only hunter, it can get crowded. But weekdays can be pretty rewarding sometimes. But that's why it's called hunting, not killing.
I've also lived and hunted out west where there is abundant public land and abundant hunters. There is nothing more frustrating than to pack into an area only to find someone's RV that has come in from the other side on an obscure road. Territorial imperative exists as much w/ people as it does w/ animals.

We have all fallen victim of the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence." Yes, I've been standing on a great private ranch with lots of elk, being a sucker saying, all the elk are on the wrong side of the fence on the neighbors ranch. The same has happend when I'm tired of sucking wind on public. These are just results from the challenge of the hunt. The most rewarding is when you are making decisions and winning challenges that land you a successful hunt.

For me, the "reward" is in the whole experience of matching wits with a truly wild animal. Whether it's public, private, guided, or do it yourself, I love to hunt. That's just me.

Maybe I am looking into your question too much Rocky (forgive me if I am), but reading questions that seem to want to justify that "what I do is better/more fulfilling than what that guy does" makes me feel a little slimey inside.

Who gives a chit what others do within the realm of personal ethic and law. Guys who post their pics and stories do so because they are proud of their accomplishment, not so that keyboard kung-fu champs can attempt to denigrate their experience by comparing their own adventures. I know I've killed animals that many here would have passed on. Does the fact that most wouldn't have made the same decision to pull the trigger at times that I did make those hunts less enjoyable... hell no. I would hate for people to be intimidated not to share their experiences because of fear of being judged.

I see great value in expressing admiration of others abilities, adventures and accomplishments, but no value in discussing what we don't like about how group "X" legally and ethically goes about their hunting/outdoors lives.

Now I am not advocating holding back when a guy obviously oversteps the bounds of ethics and law. In those instances, flame away... but that is simply not what we are talking about here. You've given several perfectly legal, perfectly ethical situations... each of which makes plenty of hunters satisfied with their efforts.
Seems more personal consideration than a question of sportsman ethics,
Cheers for the post... I think if this was a forum for those who value the "hunt" based upon the "value" they pay - they would be in some private ranch hunt forum of some sort.

Being this is more focused as admirably directed by this OYOA... I would say this is a fitting OP to garner considerations of such. I admire the value of the hunt... not being placed at "X" marks the spot... shooting... feeling that rush - getting a couple "victorious" pictures taken then... get the elk hair off your gloves, wipe your pant knee area clean of dirt - get back into the heated enclosed ATV / Pickup... and back to "camp" (Lodge).

Private land in Montana had a great opportunity for Block Managment... though too many people have harmed the fundamental aspect of such... respect for the property owner and his / her land... Now unfortunately, too many out of state people buy the land simply to lease to outfitters and for their private party hunting OR if you have a good load of money to offset a time frame from the outfitter who has primary lead. More power to it... I wish there was a way to find a happy medium especially those who buy suich land to land lock National forest... or make it one hell of a tour to get into America's public land.

Those who have the value for such a hunt... more power to them though to myself and the core focus of OYOA - I would say - I place more value in the actions - rigors spent to savor the entire surrounding effects of hunting such a magnificant animal as the Elk. I find pride in the effort.

I would most certainly take A though would not pass on a B.

Last edited:
I'm personally more appreciative of a "THWACK and its down" hunt than a "BAM and it's down" hunt but use both weapon types at times. So for me it is a matter of getting in super close to make it most rewarding. I.e., if I make a long 60 yard shot with my bow, I know I did not really stalk in on the animal like I should/could have and thus I appreciate that success less than the animal I take at shorter yardages. Guess same goes for rifle hunts. Have never shot anything over 250 yards in part because I never practice beyond that.

B) would be just fine. 4 years ago, I arrowed a 5-pt bull at 15 yards that was actually the 'herd' bull out of 75 elk that had just jumped the fence from ranching for wildlife Colorado property onto public land and still am excited to have killed one of 'their' elk for free.

A) of course, but packing an elk miles on my back would temper the enthusiasm. Horses are great. Called in a good bull for a friend in NM this year and he made a perfect shot at 14 yards...and the highlight was meeting the horse packer at the kill site for the 3-mile pack-out. We did not carry even a scrap of elk on our backs and that was AWESOME.

This weekend I tried hunt "B"...saw NOTHING on the good side of the fence... but did see several views like this on the "other side"...
rs10.jpg

Hornseeker, you need to learn the method of stretching blood trails from one side of a fence to the other:)LMAO

I'm just waiting patiently for ELKWHISPER to invite me to the ranch:) Or LAWNBOY, i'm not picky who my new friend will be:)LOL

All and all, i would much rather take a bull on public land as most of mine have been, but that being said, I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to hunt the private if it was givin.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back