Caribou Gear Tarp

More wolves

i'm trying to figure out how they're showing up way the eff down by fairplay and there hasn't been a dead one found on hwy 13 yet, or i70, or US24, or 285.

i'm trying to figure out how they're showing up way the eff down by fairplay and there hasn't been a dead one found on hwy 13 yet, or i70, or US24, or 285.
Well, don’t forget there was one shot near Hwy 13 in 2009, one shot near Kremmling in 2015, and one hit on I-70 30 miles west of Denver in 2004. They have been roaming around off and on for nearly 20 years.

Oh man you really believe that? I feel sad for your lack of knowledge. Wolves definitely impacted the herds and killed a ton of elk. The funny part about people who use that logic fail he insight to ask why and how?

The wolves have forced a major shift in the elk. The only reason you can get that many tags is because the elk are harboring in mass on private lands year round and the luckily the ranchers and the state are allowed to use force to manage the wolves. As a result the elk are even more likely to harbor and hammer the lower country. Just wait and see, the elk in Colorado do not stand a chance. There is so much more at play in Colorado than MT. Less Habitat, more habitat fragmentation, more fences, more traffic, etc.

If you are foolish enough to believe that wolves in Colorado will look and be anything like MT you are foolish. The states are nearly the same size, but less than 1/2 of CO is wolf habitat. Further more there are nearly times more people in CO. The winter range in Colorado is massively developed. We already have all sorts of issues with game and fragmentation. Now add in wolves and they animals already hammered by the limited and disappearing ranges will be extremely easy pickings. Colorado is already just a glimmer of what it once was, after the wolves get established it will look more like California than any other state.
SSS and a blue mini van is the only answer.

Does anyone else wonder if those elk are thinking "man those are some big coyotes". Meaning are the elk in Co. accustomed to what wolves are and the danger associated? Or does it just come naturally?
I think it takes them a while to get accustomed to wolves. I think that's why certain elk herds (like northern Yellowstone) declined pretty dramatically before starting to recover.

St. Bernards?

I'm surprised since the video was released, prints were not photo or cast? Simple to define the two animals.

Figured a youtube would help people define the characteristics between the two... closest of the two compared side by side... even then the husky is a well filled out dog vs a wolf. However, it's the internet. We believe what we want regardless. From my perspective the opening post video sure looks a whoopload more like a wolf than a St. Bernard though, meh, to each his/her own.

Last edited:
Too bad for Colorado.

Luckily in Utah, we've been giving BGF hundreds of thousands to build a magic forcefield, so we will never have wolves.

Pay no attention to the wolves we do have, like I said.....

FORCEFIELD

If you go to the youtube comments, the woman who filled the video said she saw the canines up close and chase the elk around and was certain that they weren't ST. Bernards.

Here are her comments regarding the CPW statement.
I seen them up close before I shot the video, they certainly look like wolves
There was a herd of about 150 elk. I personally watched these animals break up the herd and the ones you see standing on the other side of the fence, were chased there. I witnessed those very same elk in a dead run heading over the fence
You didn't see what I saw before I even started shooting the videos. This video was shot at least 4 miles from any dwelling. CPW is searching the wrong area
She also shared the exact location
Highway 285 4 miles south of county road 5

You guys are worried that CPW may have miss-identified the animals? Sounds to me like they just gave the green light to take out a pack of St. Bernards chasing elk.
You make a valid point

§ 33-3-106
(3) Nothing in this section shall make it unlawful to trap, kill, or otherwise dispose of bears, mountain lions, or dogs without a permit in situations when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death, damage, or injury to livestock, real property, a motor vehicle, or human life and additionally, in the case of dogs, when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death or injury to big game and to small game, birds, and mammals.

Yep... I just shot that pack of 4 saint Bernard's for harassing wildlife... Did the world a favor...

It is pretty obvious what we are seeing...

Wonder how many unborn calves were aborted being chased through fences by those "St. Bernards"? Maybe...all of them?
I guess we can add that DAU to the list of low calf recruitment units. Would that be unit 49?

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back