More wolves

I found the reaction of the elk interesting. They seem to be far more worried about the stopped car on the road than the pack of canines behind them.
Because they know the Canadian superwolves will arrive via stock trailer on the highway, they aren't nervous over these Wyoming bastard breed wolves that got here the old fashioned way.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Who was this?

The fact that he has 23k followers makes me lose all hope in humanity

Wolves slaughtered so many elk in Montana that now hunters can only kill 3 elk each.
Oh man you really believe that? I feel sad for your lack of knowledge. Wolves definitely impacted the herds and killed a ton of elk. The funny part about people who use that logic fail he insight to ask why and how?

The wolves have forced a major shift in the elk. The only reason you can get that many tags is because the elk are harboring in mass on private lands year round and the luckily the ranchers and the state are allowed to use force to manage the wolves. As a result the elk are even more likely to harbor and hammer the lower country. Just wait and see, the elk in Colorado do not stand a chance. There is so much more at play in Colorado than MT. Less Habitat, more habitat fragmentation, more fences, more traffic, etc.

If you are foolish enough to believe that wolves in Colorado will look and be anything like MT you are foolish. The states are nearly the same size, but less than 1/2 of CO is wolf habitat. Further more there are nearly times more people in CO. The winter range in Colorado is massively developed. We already have all sorts of issues with game and fragmentation. Now add in wolves and they animals already hammered by the limited and disappearing ranges will be extremely easy pickings. Colorado is already just a glimmer of what it once was, after the wolves get established it will look more like California than any other state.

Ten years from now: "New Mexico is going to be ruined by wolves. It won't be like Colorado, they had enough elk to handle it. Watch and see, New Mexico is going to be just a memory."

Twenty years from now: "Arizona won't ever be the same now boys. Forget it, best elk hunting state ruined by wolves. They have more people than New Mexico. So less room for the elk to escape. Kiss it goodbye guys."

Thirty years from now: "South Dakota can just forget it now. Those deer won't be able to survive the onslaught the way elk in the southwest did. Yep, this time it's really going to ruin things."

Ten years from now: "New Mexico is going to be ruined by wolves. It won't be like Colorado, they had enough elk to handle it. Watch and see, New Mexico is going to be just a memory."

Twenty years from now: "Arizona won't ever be the same now boys. Forget it, best elk hunting state ruined by wolves. They have more people than New Mexico. So less room for the elk to escape. Kiss it goodbye guys."

Thirty years from now: "South Dakota can just forget it now. Those deer won't be able to survive the onslaught the way elk in the southwest did. Yep, this time it's really going to ruin things."
The northern wolves will have Mexican wolves to kill when they arrive. Supposedly, Yellowstone actually had a handful of legacy wolves when the northern wolves were released and this resulted in the elimination of the Yellowstone bloodline.

Among the 2021 findings:
  1. A minimum of 45 packs (including new pairs) were documented at the end of 2021: 28 in New Mexico and 17 in Arizona. A wolf pack is defined as two or more wolves that maintain an established territory.
  2. A minimum of 144 pups were born in 2021, with at least 56 surviving until the end of the year (a 38 percent survival rate). The average survival of Mexican wolf pups in their first year is around 50 percent.
  3. The IFT recorded a minimum of 25 breeding pairs (13 in New Mexico, 12 in Arizona) with pups in 2021. By comparison, there were an estimated 20 breeding pairs in 2020. A breeding pair is defined as a pack that consists of an adult male and female and at least one pup of the year surviving through December 31.
    There were 92 collared wolves in the wild at the end of the year, which is nearly 50 percent of the wild population. These radio collars use satellite technology to accurately record wolf locations on a frequent basis. Biologists on the IFT use this information to gain timely information about wolf behavior in the wild and assist with management of the wild population.
  4. The IFT documented 25 mortalities in the wild population of Mexican wolves in 2021, which is similar to the mortality rate in 2019 and 2020.
    Mexico celebrated its 10th anniversary of releasing wolves to the wild and reported at least 40 wolves in the wild at the end of 2021. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service worked with Mexico to release four adult wolves into Mexico in 2021.
  5. “While we hope for a higher growth rate, the 5% growth observed, when looking at the totality of the program, still indicates a recovering population. Overall wildlife populations had a hard year with low precipitation and little winter snowpack last year. I am encouraged by the increase in breeding pairs and the number of packs present. These measures continue to increase and bode well for future recovery for the Mexican wolf,” said Jim deVos, Arizona Game and Fish Department Mexican wolf coordinator.

Weird that they made such a long trek from the NW corner without being seen. I admit, I used to hate em, but the science didn't support my stance. Cool video, I will enjoy the day I get to hear them howl.

Wow

Back