Moosies Back, Idaho Boulder Creek Hunt

Welcome back. Sounds like a fun hunt. That is a very nice buck. I have heard of people that pick their nose in their sleep but to blame it on a poor defenseless elk is a little much ;) ;) .

My guess is 165 on the score. Coke through the nose burns man. My bad. :D

Moosie you have just to much fun, keep it up. Now it seemsonly a couple of years ago that would not have been a dink???
OLefish

congrats on the buck oscar...i have 1 more day to find one like that around here.

my boss had the same thing happen to him this year with an elk rack but he must be a pussy because he needed 9 stitches :D

Moosie you have just to much fun, keep it up. Now it seemsonly a couple of years ago that would not have been a dink???
OLefish

Ole, You're right. It's funny how things progress. I'm not wanting to Downplay my buck. If I killed that buck in my normal hunting spot I would have been happier. That sounds bad but I hope you guys understand what I'm saying ?!?!? Although it's not liek I killed it opening morning, Athough The first day I passed one alot better :eek: ...Maybe I'm hunting with Idaho Bugler to much ? My wife thinks so. Something about "Just shoot something, stop passing things up, and come home" I always here any more. ;)

(Did that sound like Tom wrote that >@!>@>@ Just wondering.. ;) )

That being said, I was happy from the standpoint of a GREAT hunt. Saw more big bucks then ever before. Went solo, which I usually never do, but Camped with some great people. I passed up some really good bucks and saw alot of 6 point Elk too. If I didn't want the buck I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I'm happy from that point, but .....there were others :p

Tim Craig (the outfitter) is the type of guys that I liked from the get-go and as the week went by only grew closer to him. Maybe cuz we're both on the Warped sence path or something too ;) Hell, I might even guide for him next year for a week. I did feed and water horses, pack out some elk and deer, covered alot of ground and opened alot of gates. Opening gates get you a gold star ;)

A few good guess's so far on the score.......... I'll have to find a better picture cuz it's a 4x5, It has a Couple inch on the Left antler of the deer. In the first picture you can almost see it. I'll load up another picture tomorrow.

The next picture is the result of helping a Co-hunter get out a 6 point bull and having the Bull slip and an Antler hitting me in the face knocking me off the ground downhill. I’ve flown 10’ from a punch in the face but never from an Elk. There is a first for everything. I'm just glad it didn't break the nose, Although I was sore for days !!!

Sometimes you get the elk, sometimes the elk gets you. Congrats on the buck.

Hell, I might even guide for him next year for a week. I did feed and water horses, pack out some elk and deer, covered alot of ground and opened alot of gates. Opening gates get you a gold star ;)
That is a scary thought. I can hear it now, "I'll give you a hundred bucks to shoot that little buck right there." Oscar let me give you a hint people are suppose to give you tips.

Were you guided on the hunt? You said you went out on your own so I was just wondering.

I know you killed a pretty good muley a year or two ago, but I can't remember for sure if it's bigger or smaller. One thing is for sure this buck you killed this year is your number one or two largest. Either way, I would be happy with it. Oh and btw, if you don't go back for a mega-whitetail then you really are as big of a homo as Greenhorn says you are.

Nice buck, congrats. Its a darn shame that unit is all but off limits to the common man.

Nice one Pan Boy. But check your PM's so I can get in the damn adult forum. You should let those spindly bucks grow up a little more. Hunt at night time with a spot light that's when the biggies come out.

Moosie how did the fires affect the area and Tim's operation?

...and it looks like the elk won by majority decision...

The firses didn't effect anything up there. It was still in great shape !! Hos lodge did burn down but it sounds like it was burnt from a Backburn that the forest service did. Then left it. OOPS !! Not a good deal. Even if he gets Paid for everything, he is still out the Trees and all. You can't put full grown timber back like that. It's a shame it happened.

Tone, It is a shame not everyone can hunt there, but sometimes you need to pay to play. And if you pay, it's worth the play :p If it wasn't off limits, then it wouldn't be as good as it is ? think I'm right ? Why ar ethe General spots not as good as private ? I'm going with the pressure of hunters...

BigSky, YAh, I killed one Bigger 2 years ago. Unfortunatly I have several bigger then it.... Wider at least. Bugler knew the size and was messing with you but the Buck is ONLY 18" WIDE !!! Can you believe that ? I'll take a front shot of it and post it. I've talked to several people that guessed between 24-26" on the width. I took a good side angle ;) Also, I'll be going back for whitetail not to be a homo... :p And maybe next year for a bigger Buckeroony, we'll see. I have to Pay for Africa first !!!!

Bugler, I was on a guided hunt. Sometimes the Guided part meant sitting in a spot waiting for deer. I don't have the waiting mentality so I hunted some areas I got permission to walk a ways. Some days we drove some roads too. It was a Multi type hunt. Some sitting, some hiking, some road hunting :D

IDHfool, no slippers on this quest. Although, I wish i would have brought them.

My only comment about it being off limits is how that entire unit is pretty much private (and leased up), so even should a guy draw a tag there its tough to find a spot to hunt.

As for the "backburn" :rolleyes: there were some other issues.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back