Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Moose Calling?

Thank you all for the advice and help.

I decided to pick up a Rocky Mounatin Duel moose call. I’m not too artistic so I thought I’d try a commercial call and just practice while I’m fishing. Figured it’s a once-in-a-lifetime tag so I should just stop being cheap.

Thanks again gentleman!

I think patience is key when calling bull moose.
We like to call from the same area for at least 2 days.
So I want to be far away from any other hunters and river boat traffic.

I like to have a lake behind my calling location
so a bull trying to circle downwind will hit that lake before scenting me.

My lowland routine is a water routine....glassing from a knoll, walk down to a pond.
I don't call from my glassing location because a bull trying to circle around to scent
is still in front and they know exactly the calling location.

Slosh with waders like a cow in water,
run water through a calling horn to imitate a cow urinating the the water.
Then cow calls which carry well over the water.
Then walk back up the knoll and glass.
Rinse and repeat every half hour.

On ridgetop hunts we move more than lowland hunts.
Glass for any white in the spruce, it the white disappears, that a bull.
Call and glass for an hour, then move across the ridge to another bowl
and call and glass for any flash of white in the spruce.
Rinse and repeat.
But we stay in the same general ridgetop area for at least 2 days.

Calling moose is like calling a gobbler...easy with a lone male looking for a female,
more difficult when the male has his harem with him.

So I have a question if anyone has any experience with calling moose.

I’m watching all sorts of videos trying to see what the best methods are for Calling in bulls during the rut, and I’m seeing all kinds of different perspectives.

I see Bob on a video that says only handmade birch bark calls will bring in those bulls and moose have a more complicated vocabulary than Mandarin Chinese. Then I watch another video where Larry goes out and cuts the end off a Clorox bottle, makes some horrible noise with it and a bull walks right out and he shoots it.

Anybody have any real world experience that wants to shed some light on this subject, it’d be greatly appreciated.
So this is me sharing wisdom I've gleaned from more successful hunters then me!
I haven't 'successfully' called something to me yet - I'm still a fairly new Moose Hunter. I have called where I saw a Bull on a Hot September Day - and he never moved from his ridge point but looked at us when I called.

While I was climbing the guy I was with had a chance on a small Paddle Bull came to 300 yards. He didn't shoot because he had never shot over 200 yards and thought that was too far.

I was just using my hands cupped and pinching my nose. I have since been given a birch Bugle Tube. I also was told how to make the Local Famous Coffee Can Call which all the old guys here SWEAR by.
Coffee Can, small hole center bottom, cotton shoe string.
Fill can with water, wet the string. Dump the water, preferably from shoulder height so it may sound like a cow peeing in the woods/water. Pinch between thumbnail and pointer fingertip.
Run down string. you can do long pulls or some shorter multiple pulls.

Also raking is is a big deal. I know alot of guys here who wont rake but kill bulls every year to two years just raking. I'm hoping this year to sit and finally get a bull called in and harvested.

What AlaskaHunter said is spot on a outing taking your time. Moose may take several hours to days to check out a call. Staying in that area for a few days if the sign is there will greatly increase your chances. It can, however, happen very fast! The first moose I called in we spotted a cow on the river bank, called a few cow calls and the bull came from about 500yards on the opposite side of the river to crossing the river and only 20 yards in less then 15 minutes.

The hunt was great! Of course nothing went as planned and all my calling did not seem to help me any. I ended up just putting in lots of miles and lots of glass time. Took 28 days but I got my bull. It was a great time.
any pictures of your prize?! Probably super delicious! Moose is my wife's favorite and we get it as often as we can.

the bulls I have taken were all called in using a quart oil bottle with the bottom cut off and a stick shoved down the mouth to rake with and a plastic cheering horn I found at Walmart to amplify my voice. They aint real bright.

I've been on 7 or 8 moose hunts. My call of choice is a cut off Gatorade bottle too. I found calling at last light there will often be a bull in that spot the next morning. * This applies to Colorado Shiras YMMV.

A chainsaw bar guard makes a great noise maker it sounds like a moose paddle when rubbed on brush.
1618549379618.png

I can assure you that walking into the woods and yelling "HEY Moose" usually doesn't work. May work in other parts of our country, but not so much here in Ohio.......Hope this helps.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back