Moose, better than elk?!?!

I’ll try and dredge one up. The thing is quite large (9’x8’ give or take), so it stays at my folks place for now.

C99E3445-A5AA-489F-BFC7-8B67CD8F5EA2.jpeg
In the meantime, here’s the hide and the head, ”in the flesh” to try and give a size comparison. The hair along his spine is probably 7-8” long and silver tipped. The rest of the hair is considerably shorter. Definitely a worthy momento to hang on to if you can. We rolled the hide, tucked it under the head, and tied it to an aluminum pack frame for the two mile pack out. The skull is euroed.

It's hard to separate emotional investment. From actual taste.

You should get a panel of experienced chefs to do a taste test/ranking.

Just make sure none of them have any hunting connections.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just finished watching the latest YouTube upload on the MEAT EATER channel; “ Yukon giants, northern Alaskan Moose part 2”.

Spoiler alert… They got a good size bull.

But that’s not the reason for my post. The reason is that I’ve never actually eaten moose meat, and I hear that it is absolutely delicious. Apparently, some people love it more than elk!

I really wanna try moose meat and the only way to do it is to harvest a moose. My resident state is Utah and that’s basically a long climb to get a moose tag.

Would anyone have any suggestions for someone with no points harvesting a younger cow moose sooner than later AND which states would be best to try to accomplish this?

Ideally, if I could go the self-guided route that would be better. I’m not really interested in spending a ton of money… The experience of a self guided hunt is what makes harvesting the animal so rewarding for me.
I took a young bull moose last year. While I like both moose and elk, I would say the moose was better. Problem is, you aren't going to get many bull moose in your lifetime unless you have lots of $ and time. Elk are a little more attainable...m

My son drew a MT Moose Permit and was successful with a young bull. The meat was and still is our favorite wild game meat. I had the skull european mounted and I had the hide tanned, since it was a young and “black” hide.
Something to consider when cooking moose meat is that the meat is darker than say a deer or elk, so when you cut into a properly cooked piece it has an appearance of being under-cooked. So, a lot of people will over cook moose and dry it out making it tougher to chew. I suppose young versus old has an affect on tenderness, as well.A6111616-0275-4A4F-9393-431FDDBD6376.jpeg

It's hard to separate emotional investment. From actual taste.

You should get a panel of experienced chefs to do a taste test/ranking.

Just make sure none of them have any hunting connections.
The many non-hunter friends who had the moose and elk at our game feeds were pro moose, at least as far as the burgers went.

My Montana Bull Moose was my hardest earned hunt and definitely the most memorable. Meat had a great taste but some parts were a little tough. I think cow elk makes the best table fare.

Hey guys, I just finished watching the latest YouTube upload on the MEAT EATER channel; “ Yukon giants, northern Alaskan Moose part 2”.

Spoiler alert… They got a good size bull.

But that’s not the reason for my post. The reason is that I’ve never actually eaten moose meat, and I hear that it is absolutely delicious. Apparently, some people love it more than elk!

I really wanna try moose meat and the only way to do it is to harvest a moose. My resident state is Utah and that’s basically a long climb to get a moose tag.

Would anyone have any suggestions for someone with no points harvesting a younger cow moose sooner than later AND which states would be best to try to accomplish this?

Ideally, if I could go the self-guided route that would be better. I’m not really interested in spending a ton of money… The experience of a self guided hunt is what makes harvesting the animal so rewarding for me.
I went back east to visit family and took some moose. I gave my mom a huge moose roast to cook for a family dinner. Unknown to me when she cooked the roast she also cooked a beef roast because she didn't think anyone would eat moose meat. When dinner was done there was nothing but bone left of the moose roast and the beef hadn't been touched. Yes moose is delicious but elk is right there with it!

I wouldn’t count on Colorado being a good option for NR cow moose for very long with packs of moose killers about to be released on the landscape...

This post has been great! Makes me excited to go and get a moose now!

The consensus seems like a young cow is going to be best.

Is Colorado going to be the best state with 0 points?

Keep in mind that there are states out there that are a once in a lifetime draw weather you harvest or not. Moose is definitely on the top of my list. I'm thinking I will spend my time scouting this year and putting in for my Idaho moose permit all following years until I draw.

I've eaten dozens of both. It's a tossup for me, but I like eating wild meat. Everyone has a different pallet. The moose I shot this year eats like lean beef. I've had tough ones of both, but never a bad tasting one.

when it is freezer filling time we look toward moose, muskox, bison before elk. We also receive more requests from others for meat from the three mentioned before elk.
I've eaten dozens of both. It's a tossup for me, but I like eating wild meat. Everyone has a different pallet. The moose I shot this year eats like lean beef. I've had tough ones of both, but never a bad tasting one.
this is where we are at also, the animals we hunt are for food ( and hides) so we tend to look for younger animals. Even an alpine bear stuffing himself with berries can be good, lynx is good, and of course caribou. Elk are good tasting animals they just seem to be the least requested meat.

Another reason for the moose over elk, is moose nose is a delicacy ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back