Moose, better than elk?!?!

Moose is as good as it gets. I have killed and eaten everything you could find in Montana at one time or another. On a yearly basis, there is nothing that beats the elk tenderloins or Blue Grouse. However, if I could shoot a moose ever other year or so, I would do that, it is notably better than any elk.

This was a big moose and I expected it it be tough, but was pleased to find it wasn’t...

097FD890-13CF-4E96-9889-5005DDD7E5DA.jpegEA82AE11-B95D-406E-91F9-37AE02AE2293.jpeg3776497A-A1D8-4061-9C0A-2B0E4D9A0F63.jpeg

I have not eaten a lot of moose, but several meals of it from different animals friends got. Elk rates higher than moose according to my taste buds. Highly refined that they are.

Elk
................................Tie as the top two wild game meals.
Pronghorn Antelope

when it is freezer filling time we look toward moose, muskox, bison before elk. We also receive more requests from others for meat from the three mentioned before elk.

this is where we are at also, the animals we hunt are for food ( and hides) so we tend to look for younger animals. Even an alpine bear stuffing himself with berries can be good, lynx is good, and of course caribou. Elk are good tasting animals they just seem to be the least requested meat.

Another reason for the moose over elk, is moose nose is a delicacy ;)
moose nose. ?????? I will try it right after you try some Rocky mountain oysters

I've eaten dozens of both. It's a tossup for me, but I like eating wild meat. Everyone has a different pallet. The moose I shot this year eats like lean beef. I've had tough ones of both, but never a bad tasting one.
same here, I like both. I still think Dall sheep and Coues Deer are possibly the best tasting wild game but enjoy it all.

I've tasted a handful of moose from Montana, including one I killed myself. Moose is very good, but if I am being honest with myself I think a fair bit of its goodness comes from the fact that in the lower 48 anyway, it is fairly rare.

If I had to pick between moose and elk for the rest of my life, I think I would pick elk. Moose is great though, and if the Hunting Gods ever grant me another tag, I will graciously accept.

I've only hunted/harvested one moose (a shiras cow in Utah) and the meat was amazing! Very dark, rich color to the meat. Very tender and very low in fat. That was a few years ago and I'd love to put some more in the freezer one day.

We eat a ton of elk meat year round and I think I'd give the edge to moose.

when it is freezer filling time we look toward moose, muskox, bison before elk. We also receive more requests from others for meat from the three mentioned before elk.

this is where we are at also, the animals we hunt are for food ( and hides) so we tend to look for younger animals. Even an alpine bear stuffing himself with berries can be good, lynx is good, and of course caribou. Elk are good tasting animals they just seem to be the least requested meat.

Another reason for the moose over elk, is moose nose is a delicacy ;)
How do you prepare a Moose nose?

I love moose. I've killed quite a few bulls over the years while I was stationed in AK - some young and some old. All were fantastic. That said, I love elk just as much as moose.

My current top six in an order that is subject to change at any moment is:
Oryx
Bison
Moose
Elk
Muskox
Pronghorn

Oryx tenderloins are an absolute prize. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

Last edited:
My dad, brother and I each killed bull moose about 12 years ago. They were all mediumish sized bulls. All were tough, but the flavor was very good. More like beef than wild game I thought.

I've drawn three cow tags for moose over the years, lucky enough to kill two.

The first moose I killed ended up being a young bull, with nubs barely as long as his hair.

He was about the size of a spike bull elk, and easily the best eating game animal I've ever enjoyed. I have eaten my fill of venison, don't care to eat it anymore, but moose meat is something I could eat for the duration.

The second moose was a large cow, tasty but not as tender as the young bull.

My dad, brother and I each killed bull moose about 12 years ago. They were all mediumish sized bulls. All were tough, but the flavor was very good. More like beef than wild game I thought.
I have found some guys flat out fail at cooking moose. Not presuming anything in your case, just noting that for my moose I have found if I take care on how hot the heat applied and for how long per side I can have decently tender moose. Whereas if I goof up in the cooking process the same med rare steak is tough rather than tender if allowed too much continuous heat on a side along the way. I go really easy and try to avoid a heavy sear, by flipping often, which toughens the heck out of moose wen same treatment yield a tender elk steak. Elk are more forgiving is what I am saying I guess.

And smoked Moose roast is really amazing.

I have found some guys flat out fail at cooking moose. Not presuming anything in your case, just noting that for my moose I have found if I take care on how hot the heat applied and for how long per side I can have decently tender moose. Whereas if I goof up in the cooking process the same med rare steak is tough rather than tender if allowed too much continuous heat on a side along the way. I go really easy and try to avoid a heavy sear, by flipping often, which toughens the heck out of moose wen same treatment yield a tender elk steak. Elk are more forgiving is what I am saying I guess.

And smoked Moose roast is really amazing.
Sure could have been my cooking technique. I am hoping to test them again on moose this year🤞

Hey guys, I just finished watching the latest YouTube upload on the MEAT EATER channel; “ Yukon giants, northern Alaskan Moose part 2”.

Spoiler alert… They got a good size bull.

But that’s not the reason for my post. The reason is that I’ve never actually eaten moose meat, and I hear that it is absolutely delicious. Apparently, some people love it more than elk!

I really wanna try moose meat and the only way to do it is to harvest a moose. My resident state is Utah and that’s basically a long climb to get a moose tag.

Would anyone have any suggestions for someone with no points harvesting a younger cow moose sooner than later AND which states would be best to try to accomplish this?

Ideally, if I could go the self-guided route that would be better. I’m not really interested in spending a ton of money… The experience of a self guided hunt is what makes harvesting the animal so rewarding for me.
Moose is probably coming up to Alaska.
And my wife prefers Moose over everything else. Caribou, Deer, Elk, Beef. I am partial to Elk, I've always enjoyed it the most but not sure how much of that is a mental thing. But I'd start looking for Alaska - you will have the most opportunity up here and you can go DIY if you choose.

I lived in Alaska for 15 years and hunted Moose nearly every year. We had a great processor in Anchorage that was a German. He made up everything you could imagine and it was all outstanding. Corned brisket, the best moose hot dogs ever, all kinds of German sausage, roasts, steaks, burger with your choice of fat level, I'm spoiled now that I live in NM. After I got my pilots license and a bush plane, the hunting got much better. Spotted where they were, landed and camped, next day got my moose and the fun really began getting it back. The meat is better than elk or caribou, but Dall sheep is the best there is, just not enough of it.

Moose is probably coming up to Alaska.
And my wife prefers Moose over everything else. Caribou, Deer, Elk, Beef. I am partial to Elk, I've always enjoyed it the most but not sure how much of that is a mental thing. But I'd start looking for Alaska - you will have the most opportunity up here and you can go DIY if you choose.
I lived in AK for 15 years and the only moose I harvested were cows. The bulls get pretty rank if you're hunting after the rut starts. They're also really reactive to anybody getting close. Numerous friends have horror stories of being charged.

Moose is my favorite. I haven’t seen published draw odds but Maine nonresident cow may be a possibility with low points.

I'll put moose FAR above elk or any other ungulate.

The hide is really awesome and I would love to have one tanned but between the weight and the cost, didn't happen. I had a bull elk hide tanned and that was great, but a moose would be beyond sublime.

It cannot be better than this.
Mx64ppq.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back