Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Moose bags

It was a float hunt - 13 days. There was my buddy Robert and myself in one raft, and the guy in the picture and his buddy in another raft. They ended up about a day ahead of us. We floated the Iditarod River. We only saw 3 cow moose that trip. The other guys saw a total of 5, with 3 being bulls. They said there was another bull with the one they killed that would have gone about 55", but they didn't want to have 2 down at the same time. I personally think they made a huge mistake, only being 100 yards from the river. If they were a mile away, it might be different.

Great Bull, I don't want to hijack this but do any of ya'll remember the guy who was looking to drive up to Alaska pulling a Monster Truck? I think he said it would take around a Month to drive up there, hunt and drive back. I bet Guppie remembers it, I though it was just funny. John

12 X 50 = A WHOLE LOT OF EATIN'!!! I hope the taste good... ;)

Congrats! After float hunting (sorta) for sheep last year, I can definitely see the allure of that!

Great Bull, I don't want to hijack this but do any of ya'll remember the guy who was looking to drive up to Alaska pulling a Monster Truck? I think he said it would take around a Month to drive up there, hunt and drive back. I bet Guppie remembers it, I though it was just funny. John

You mean the "I put some lotion in the basket" guy?

TAG bags are the ticket, you get 7 bags total and should be able to fit all of your moose in those bags. I shot a 52"er in 06 and he fit in those bags like a glove. ;)

Attachments

• awesome.JPG
    awesome.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 369
They say 7 bags but there is only 6?

I wonder if they changed since then?

I usually pay .50 cents a pillow case at the local rummage sale. I spent $136 for the sheep bags and the moose bags, they better be worth it:rolleyes:

So, were the bags worth the money? That 7th bag is a tenderloin bag and is only big enough for the tenderloins. I tried sticking the backstraps from this years moose in with the tenderloins and they no fit. I washed the bags when I got back and they look almost new, though my sheep bags didn't come quite as clean as they did.

The TAGS bags are the ticket, for antelope anyway. ;) I bought a set of the smaller ones and they will work for anything this far south. I like how lightweight they are and how well they clean up. They look brand new after each cleaning.

I think you better get the biggest pillow cases you can find, unless you plan on packing a dozen or more of them for a moose.

We filled up 12 TAG bags last week with two moose. A boned out hind quarter will not fit in the 'sheep' size bag without cutting into smaller pieces a front will but barely.

Some one asked me how big my moose was... I said it was this big.

Attachments

• 438196353114_0_ALB.jpg
    438196353114_0_ALB.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 328
Wasn't Bambi S debating on wether to move to AK or MT?

Picture proof he made the right choice. I am jealous.

IMO the moose bags are a little big. I didn't get to use them, but when placed over my head like a ghost costume, it hangs to mid calf, freaking long.

I left my moose bags in AK and will try the sheep bags on elk this year...................................maybe.

Last edited:
I finally got around to washing the TAG bags I used on my elk this year. They look absolutley brand new. Although I always bone out my elk quarters I cannot imagine any elk not fitting in the deer/sheep size bags. I wish they made a smaller size. They are so light and compact in you pack. And they are very tough.

You might have trouble with this size for elk if you do the old school quartering for horse packing and had all the ribs along with the front shoulders. But other wise I believe any elk would fit in the deer size. Pricey, but I am very happy with the purchase.

I put whole, unboned hind quarters of elk in the small bags this week and they fit easily. Like Dink said, if you truly quarter your animals it might be a tough fit, but I really like the size of these. The weight and compactness can't be beat. If you were deer hunting, you could probably get away with carrying two bags, one for meat and one for the cape, assuming you are willing and able to pack it out in one load.

I did learn an expensive lesson, though. I laid out a tarp and left the bagged quarters laying on it to cool overnight. When I got up in the morning to cover them up, mice had chewed many, many holes in the game bags.:mad: I still need to wash them up to see if I can salvage them.

If you can't fix them, call Larry and you can buy them individually. I gave a friend of mine a frint shoulder and a backstrap for helping me butcher mine and he still has the bags, don't think I will get them back so I will probably have to give Larry a shout and get some replacement bags.

Sweet, I am down to 3 now. My father killed a bull and used them. He left them on the ground like Oak. 1 marten and several Gray Jays later=minus one bag and he also just completely lost one somewhere along the way. Take a kid hunting.

Still waiting to see how they wash up after this time.

resurrection for feedback....

So should I buy a set for my brother inlaw for our Elk hunt this Fall?

If So..

Gutless bone in quarters,

Sheep or Moose size?

Talk to me Frere Quercus.....

If you are removing just the quarters, the smaller size will work fine. If you are splitting the carcass into 4 pieces (including ribs, etc), it might be a tough fit. Make sense?

Here is what I have been using for elk and deer lately. And, I am taking the moose bags to AK next month. I had tried many different types of game bags, before finally finding these. They have been getting a work out and still work great.

http://www.biggamebags.com/

Whatever you decide, I hope you give them plenty of use and abuse.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back