Montana Wolf - The waiting is over!

DUDE, I hope thats not the only pic you got..........

You need to borrow my rifle?? if its in range for a picture its in range for a shot:):)

1.6 miles with 1800 ft vertical gain?

I'll be back up there tomorrow. Taking a snowmobile in before light and sitting all day. This guy was cruising ridgelines at noon, so I don't think they're really bedding up for the day.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/huntingGuides/wolf/default.html

Too late, season's closed. :(

Hope your camera guy didn't buy his plane tickets already.

WTH is up with that? The quotas aren't yet met. Some sort of computer error, for sure. Please, tell me it is not so.

Some knucklehead forgot to change the computer program to reflect the February 15th season extension. I looked on Friday and it was still open and not any more wolves have been killed.

As Grandma would say, "Something is afoul with the coleslaw."

Mineral County and the East Fork (two of the biggest wolf-hit areas) are still a combined 8/40 on filling the quota. That's messed up. I did see some other guys out looking yesterday, must be after their SFW bounty :rolleyes:

Matt, you coming this way if you don't connect down there? I can point you to where you can try that 2500 yard shot.

1.6 miles with 1800 ft vertical gain?

I'll be back up there tomorrow. Taking a snowmobile in before light and sitting all day. This guy was cruising ridgelines at noon, so I don't think they're really bedding up for the day.

Be careful out there... Avalanche danger is very high right now.

should be open, I would guess that the website marked them all closed at the original ending date. Someone forgot to change it when they extended the season.

Mineral County and the East Fork (two of the biggest wolf-hit areas) are still a combined 8/40 on filling the quota. That's messed up. I did see some other guys out looking yesterday, must be after their SFW bounty :rolleyes:

Matt, you coming this way if you don't connect down there? I can point you to where you can try that 2500 yard shot.

Uh......2500 is a bit out of my range;)..............now if we could cut it in half, we might be in business:):)

I will be back for sure if Randy and I don't ground pound a couple this weekend. However, i'm gonna say the woofs are in trouble..........we have a little payback coming.

Will definately be in touch. Was that a FC wolf? Buddy saw a pack of 12 chasing a moose in there the last week of season but too far away.

I'll let you know when i head that way. Also, every year about this time, i usually have a few moving around on my property. Dad's been keeping track and as soon as he sees some, he will let me know. If i can't get there due to work or something, you might be getting a call to get out there since your only about an hour away........;)

Uh......2500 is a bit out of my range;)..............now if we could cut it in half, we might be in business:):)

I will be back for sure if Randy and I don't ground pound a couple this weekend. However, i'm gonna say the woofs are in trouble..........we have a little payback coming.

Will definately be in touch. Was that a FC wolf? Buddy saw a pack of 12 chasing a moose in there the last week of season but too far away.

I'll let you know when i head that way. Also, every year about this time, i usually have a few moving around on my property. Dad's been keeping track and as soon as he sees some, he will let me know. If i can't get there due to work or something, you might be getting a call to get out there since your only about an hour away........;)

You must've recognized those pine trees.

12? The pack I'm after in there is only 4-6, it's had two shot out of it already this year. He must've been on the south end. I've been thinking of making a run on that south pack, but it's a 4-5 mile hump in to where I think would be the best spot right now. If winter ever comes, it'll concentrate them down low and the pickings will be a little easier.

I have a flexible schedule and gas money, definitely up for a drive downstream.

Congrats Fin

Congrats Fin for getting involved with the RMEF in a capacity to do some real good.....

Speech, Speech......!!!!

And we're off again. Five more days of chasing wolves, howling, calling, and other things of great fun.

Phone calls have been made and we have permission to hunt on a block of three ranches who are all neighbors. They have been allowing some wolf hunting this year. Some wolves were taken on those places earlier in the season. No guarantees that wolves are there, as you never know where the majority of elk will stack up. I suspect that the wolves hanging near those properties where the elk are stacked up.

Even though the likelihood of success is low, it is the hunt and the chase that drives us to do these crazy things. It is just that much fun.

The weather forecast is for warm and windy for the next four days. Not good hunting weather, but nothing can be done about that. You go when you have a chance and let the weather do what it will do.

Will give a report this evening upon our return.

Good Luck!

I have been thinking and talking about it with some friends...and knowing how smart canines are... I bet with some hunting pressure they wont be haning around the big herds of elk where the pickins are easy...but they are exposed to humans a little more... I bet they start ranging around the higher broken country more just concentrating on smaller pockets of game... ???? Kinda how an older bull wont hang much with those groups either, but will just hang in some nastier stuff where the pickins aren't near as good but they feel safer.

Back