Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana - Time to Shake it Up?

I think some of the points mentioned here in regards to more primitive weapons the last half of, or all of November, are good ideas if we have to compromise and can’t get rid of most of the November season which I’m guessing would be incredibly hard to do.

This takes legislation.

The muzzleloader hunt is a season set in statute. It is now serving as a prime example as to why setting seasons in statute is a bad idea.
Correct, legislation should only give authority to the commission to set seasons.

Even that has problems though, the commissions will fall back on "legislative intent".

As a last resort maybe. A rush to buy a muzzleloader and hunt the last two weeks might result in a lot of wounding. Just shut it down. mtmuley
Totally on board with what you’re saying. Definitely a much larger issue with wounding with the primary muzzleloaders and archery. I’d like to see much of November shut down too. Just not sure how feasible it is though. But maybe we’re getting closer to that point. Or low number permits for later season dates like many other states do.

Correct, legislation should only give authority to the commission to set seasons.

Even that has problems though, the commissions will fall back on "legislative intent".

Maybe, maybe not. If there is a structured plan ready to drop that takes the intent of the legislation to heart then it's an easy sell.

Regardless of intent, the executive has to follow the law. Repeal the law and the commission still has the authority to set seasons whenever, including muzzleloader. In fact, the whole notion of legislative intent has been bastardized over the last 10 years to try and take on some sort of legal standing that it does not possess.

The commission may say they are simply following leg intent, but anyone who does that to cover decisions is just passing the buck.

Just take scopes from people those last 2 weeks let them hunt with whatever they want just no glass

Maybe, maybe not. If there is a structured plan ready to drop that takes the intent of the legislation to heart then it's an easy sell.

Regardless of intent, the executive has to follow the law. Repeal the law and the commission still has the authority to set seasons whenever, including muzzleloader. In fact, the whole notion of legislative intent has been bastardized over the last 10 years to try and take on some sort of legal standing that it does not possess.

The commission may say they are simply following leg intent, but anyone who does that to cover decisions is just passing the buck.
For sure, but it happens, all....the...time.

Listen to a GF commission meeting on new legislatoin. They've said in testimony time after time, if they don't follow legislative intent, they're scared the legislature will just take up the issue again.

It's ridiculous.

Totally on board with what you’re saying. Definitely a much larger issue with wounding with the primary muzzleloaders and archery. I’d like to see much of November shut down too. Just not sure how feasible it is though. But maybe we’re getting closer to that point. Or low number permits for later season dates like many other states do.
First three weeks could be "Any Deer" second three WT only. People can easily come up with reasons why any change isn't perfect. At the same time, almost any change is better than what you have. What's the saying? "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good"?

First three weeks could be "Any Deer" second three WT only. People can easily come up with reasons why any change isn't perfect. At the same time, almost any change is better than what you have. What's the saying? "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good"?
I would worry that this could be hard on some public land whitetail populations.

For sure, but it happens, all....the...time.

Listen to a GF commission meeting on new legislatoin. They've said in testimony time after time, if they don't follow legislative intent, they're scared the legislature will just take up the issue again.

It's ridiculous.

Every state needs a Michigan Prop G style push & Wyoming's budgeting process.

Legislators should not be wildlife managers, nor should they hold work hostage for political points.

I would worry that this could be hard on some public land whitetail populations.
Absolutely it would. But then ideas need to be more restrictive and the push-back will increase. I would just assume there are no perfect solutions. Just a matter of figuring out how the pain will be distributed.

Rifle season is five weeks long in Montana.

Back