Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Rifle Elk - Gonna be a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a Question

I am new to this site and after reading the reply's on this thread I have to ask the question. It appears that most on this thread agree that wingman is an unethical hunter based soley on the word of Big Fin. I don't know Big Fin, he is probably a great guy and an avid hunter but from what I have read he also flew into this spot with a helicopter. How did he find the spot, I know where he was hunting and I also know for a fact that this particular piece of land is land locked by private property so some scouting must have been done on his part in order for him to get there int he first place. Please do not get me wrong, I do not condone or condem either of these guys for what they have done or what they have said. I just think you have to look and listen to both sides of the story before you start judging people. If wingman was in the area trying to recover a bull he had stuck previously with a bow, wouldn't this be considered the ethical thing to do. I teach my kids that they need to exhaust all possibilities, within the boundaries of the law, to recover an animal that we shoot. Maybe he was fling low to try and find this bull to try and do the ethical thing. Maybe he's a poacher, who knows I don't and neither do you. Why didn't Big Fin ask if he could assist wingman in any way to try and help him find the wounded bull instead of bashing him on his website. Wouldn't that have been the ethical thing to do? All I am saying is there is always two sides to every story!

This has been the single best hunting story I've seen in years. Good job Fin!! Hope I get to see the show sometime, but I really don't see how it could be better than reading about it as it has happened. Good job all around!! twodot

If wingman was in the area trying to recover a bull he had stuck previously with a bow, wouldn't this be considered the ethical thing to do.

There is a huge difference between "recovering" a bull and trying to find an otherwise healthy animal with one of your arrows sticking out of it. Just because you draw the blood from an animal doesn't give you the trump card when it comes to hunting it SEVERAL DAYS AFTERWARD

Bring 525 thanks for looking at this from two perspectives. I wish randy would put the audio track on here so you could tell I was respectful. I tried to work out a plan., I said there were plenty of bulls let's line up and pick out two of them. He said that would not work for the video.

Bring 525 thanks for looking at this from two perspectives. I wish randy would put the audio track on here so you could tell I was respectful. I tried to work out a plan., I said there were plenty of bulls let's line up and pick out two of them. He said that would not work for the video.
This would be a good time to tell your side of the story. Instead of coming on here and posting rude comments. It makes you out to be an a**hole. Which to me sounds like you are trying to do.

So here is your chance tell us what happened.

My guess is more will be told when the show airs.

Last edited:
I am new to this site and after reading the reply's on this thread I have to ask the question. It appears that most on this thread agree that wingman is an unethical hunter based soley on the word of Big Fin. I don't know Big Fin, he is probably a great guy and an avid hunter but from what I have read he also flew into this spot with a helicopter. How did he find the spot, I know where he was hunting and I also know for a fact that this particular piece of land is land locked by private property so some scouting must have been done on his part in order for him to get there int he first place. Please do not get me wrong, I do not condone or condem either of these guys for what they have done or what they have said. I just think you have to look and listen to both sides of the story before you start judging people. If wingman was in the area trying to recover a bull he had stuck previously with a bow, wouldn't this be considered the ethical thing to do. I teach my kids that they need to exhaust all possibilities, within the boundaries of the law, to recover an animal that we shoot. Maybe he was fling low to try and find this bull to try and do the ethical thing. Maybe he's a poacher, who knows I don't and neither do you. Why didn't Big Fin ask if he could assist wingman in any way to try and help him find the wounded bull instead of bashing him on his website. Wouldn't that have been the ethical thing to do? All I am saying is there is always two sides to every story!

Not difficult to read a map and search google earth.

I think everyone is interested in a fair telling of what happened however all regular users have seen how Big Fin conducts himself on this board and on these hunts for a very long time so if most regulars give Big Fin the benefit of the doubt that is just human nature. If Wingman has nothing to hide or acted in good faith then it would be nice to hear something more from him other than a sentence long post.

I have not seen anything from Wingman to prove his point and given his willingness to post rude and uncalled for comments it is natural to jump to the conclusion he is just a rich guy who thinks he owns public land and can call that shots on who gets access to that land. Look at his comments on this thread.

He may be a great guy but his actions on here suggest a different conclusion.

Sounds like the disadvantaged are jealous! :rolleyes:

Nemont

Last edited:
I don't know Big Fin, he is probably a great guy and an avid hunter but from what I have read he also flew into this spot with a helicopter. How did he find the spot, I know where he was hunting and I also know for a fact that this particular piece of land is land locked by private property so some scouting must have been done on his part in order for him to get there int he first place.

BRNG, many of us have simply used Google Earth or maps from BLM, Forest Service, etc. to identify places that look like they'd be good hunts. That information, coupled with identifying private land-locked areas make those places prime areas to hunt since the likelihood of animals in those land-locked areas is pretty high. People that have the ability to chopper/plane into an area and scout can certainly do it. Others may feel comfortable simply going to an area they have a hunch contains animals. Take for instance the edges of Yellowstone - there are a multitude of hunters that hunt the boundaries of this area (and other similar places), just waiting for an animal to walk over the line.

You guys and your arguing... Come on. Can't you be better men? A DIY hunter colides with a DIY hunter on public land and all hell breaks loose. Classic. This looks more and more like a pride hunt.:(

Wingman, you did not join this forum until after your hunt. One would just assume you came here to try and defend your actions that were not as they should have been. So please tell your side since you opened the can of worms.
Let's here your side of the story. If it is not as it went on video or audio Randy may want to proove you wrong.
As far as FAR's are concerned, You have no right to invade that airspace knowing that someone was there unless it is an emergency situation. Did you make more than one pass over their camp less than 500 feet AGL or radius? Legal or not, this is hunting, and consideration would have been nice. You could not land there so why did you have to do it twice after you knew they were there?
Sec. 91.119

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
[ (d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface--
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.]

Last edited:
Holy drama. If Randy was more like me, he would have set right down next to these assclowns and dumped that prize bull they were wanting so bad. That would have made some serious entertainment... Jersey Shore meets the Outdoor Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back