Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Rifle Elk - Gonna be a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Our general big game season opens this coming Saturday, the 23rd. Me, Lawnboy, and Photofin (Troy) leave on Thursday to get our camp set up. Going in real light this time and only have a few days to get it done.

Not sure how I lucked out and drew limited entry rifle bull tags in back to back years, but at this point I am not going to give it back. I have a bull tag, Lawnboy has a cow tag, and all three of us have deer tags. Thinking we should film Photofin taking a deer for the camera. Primary focus is elk, but if a nice buck gets in the way, he might be a TV star.

Spent the weekend trying to sort out what is a necessity and what is not. Not really looking forward to the dehydrated food for five days. Really gonna get a chance to put the equipment to the test on this hunt. Carl at High Caliber Gear is a whiz at putting together this light weight stuff that has perfect hunting applications. He has been a huge help as I have whittled down my gear list and reduced a lot of weight from my pack.

We normally have the luxury of a wall tent, full camp, etc. Not this time. Hope I don't forget something real important. Got the tag, rifle, blaze orange, matches, and a water filter, so at a minimum, I am sure I will survive. Just hope I can be comfortable enough to give it hell each day.

Will be out filming other stuff most of the week, so figured I would get this post started now, so I didn't forget. I think we will have cell service from the highest peaks, so I hope we can provide live updates while we are there.

My goal is to shoot a bigger bull than the one that walked out in front of me last year. If Bart can continue to "sing the Sirens' song," the bulls might cooperate and I could actually shoot one I would like to put on the wall. Wish me luck, as is always the case, I am sure I will need it.

Last year's bull was almost too much fun, if there is such a thing in hunting.
IMG_4699.JPG

Good stuff!
Best of success to you three. Look forward to the show.

let's see that gear list!!!!! you know we need to tear it down and build it back up for ya.....really though curious to see what gear you guys are taking---have fun and good luck.....chris

let's see that gear list!!!!! you know we need to tear it down and build it back up for ya.....really though curious to see what gear you guys are taking---have fun and good luck.....chris

Here is what is on the floor right now, but some will be thinned out, unless Lawnboy or Photofin wanna carry some of it:

• Tag
  • License
  • Blaze orange vest
  • Kimber 84M Montana in .308
  • One box Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip bullets
  • Leupold 3.5-10X42mm VX-3 CDS
  • Leupold 8X42 Gold Ring HD binos
  • Leupold 12-40X60mm Gold Ring HD spotting scope
  • Leupold RX-1000 TBR Range finder
  • Mystery Ranch Crew Cab
  • Five Alaska game bags - 48" version
  • Two Brunton headlamps
  • Havalon Piranta scalpel blade knife with six replacement blades
  • Four pair Latex gloves
  • Garmin GPS Map 62st with Montana map chip from HuntingGPSmaps.com
  • Leatherman Skeletool
  • Marmot Pinnacle down sleeping bag 15F rated
  • Thermarest Neoair
  • Hennesy Hammock
  • Hilleberg Nallo GT4 tent
  • Primus EtaExpress stove with two small canisters
  • Four pair of Smartwool socks
  • Two pair base layer morino wool
  • Sitka 90% jacket and pants
  • Sitka Traverse Zip-T
  • Playtypus water filter and containment bags
  • Kenetrek 400 gram Mountain Extreme boots
  • If weather looks gloomy, might pack the Sitka Stormfront Jacket and Pants, but hoping I don't need them.
  • Canon Powershot with extra battery and SD card
  • Baseball cap
  • Lots of Motrin
  • Other meds and small first aid kit
  • Five meals of Mountain House dehydrated food. (Partial to Lasagna)
  • One dozen Snickers bars. They taste great and are always good battering material with Troy.
  • TP, or Mountain Money as we call it. Even better batter material.

Many other things I am still working on and trying to find a place to put, or hope to find a way to have one of the other guys carry them. This seems more than enough, and maybe too much, for a trip where we go in on Thursday and come out Tuesday afternoon.

why a tent and hammock???? is the tent for all 3 of you??

Tent is for two guys, and to keep all the camera gear stowed and protected from the elements. Third guy gets the hammock - ME.

We usually travel with 40-60 pounds of extra stuff in the form of cameras, batteries, tapes, mics, spare parts, tripods, lenses, etc. The tent provides some protection from the weather for those fickle and sensitive items.

Oh, forgot that I will have my HP mini and two spare batteries with me.

I bet you sleep better than the guys in the tent do. Once most guys try a hammock they never go back to the ground. Just talked with a buddy who spent a week in ID hunting deer and used a hammock for the first time. He said the other guys were complaining of hip and shoulder pain at night while he slept like a baby. He said it got into the 20's at night and with a zero degee back he was toasty

Last edited:
I bet you sleep better than the guys in the tent do. Once most guys try a hammock they never go back to the ground. Just talked with a buddy who spent a week in ID hunting deer and used a hammock for the first time. He said the other guys were complaining of hip and shoulder pain at night while he slept like a baby. He said it got into the 20's at night and with a zero degee back he was toasty

I spent about 175 night camping the last three years (mostly for work) and never once thought to pull out one of the two hammocks I collecting dust in my garage. Making my last trip (FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D) to the river next week, so I may have to give it try.

Big Fin,

You have had some great hunts the past couple of years. Extremely lucky at drawing those tags!

But I after following your hunts and seeing how hard you work at it, not sure you are that lucky. Probably work that hard at drawing the tag!

Best of luck to you. The hammock is a great idea! I especially like them about 2 in the afternoon after a quick meal.
I enjoy hearing the day by day and then sitting with anticipation as the episodes air-Thanks BF.

Last edited:
Heck Fin with that list I won't have to bring anything:D thanks!! Sounds like if you want a whopper I'll be holding the bullets. This could be like a week of drug rehab. I can just hear him now. "come on man just one bullet" please. Troy and I will be dunking his head in buckets of water to help him snap out of it. Should be fun. I've been eating lots of carrots to get my eyes in elk spotting shape.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back