Montana Rifle Elk - Gonna be a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go get 'em!

how do the alaska game bags compare to the TAGS bags. Not that I could switch after the heavy 'investment' in TAGS.

Go get 'em!

how do the alaska game bags compare to the TAGS bags. Not that I could switch after the heavy 'investment' in TAGS.

They work well, but are not as durable as the TAGS. I saw the TAGS bags when I hunted with Oak and was impressed.

I am thinking of making the same investment, but worry about nylon in the hot weather of August/September. No doubt TAGS would be the best thing going for mild or cold weather hunts.

The new TAG bags are heavier (25%) but much stronger than the old ones. The old ones would rip quite easy if you laid them on a broken limb, a sharp (ish) bone, etc. The new ones seem to be a heck of a lot better. They don't seem to dry quite as qickly, but are still 10x better than cotton.

Looks like a pretty solid list to me.

The new TAG bags are heavier (25%) but much stronger than the old ones. The old ones would rip quite easy if you laid them on a broken limb, a sharp (ish) bone, etc. The new ones seem to be a heck of a lot better. They don't seem to dry quite as qickly, but are still 10x better than cotton.

I thought they felt heavier when the two sets I ordered got here a couple of weeks ago. Didn't look into it, but I did notice that the material looked different. Haven't used the new ones yet.

I got a new batch of Tag Bags and that new material was a little disappointing to me.

They are 2x the size now in the main bag. I was actually thinking about chopping a few inches off the bottom of the bags and having the wife sew them back shut. As is now, I think even the Caribou bags are plenty big for any boned out animal in NA except moose.

The downside that we found on our Alaska hunt was that the Alaska bags still allowed the flys to lay eggs through the mesh. My brother prefers the heavier cotton? I guess is what they are bags. They might not breath as well but at least you aren't going to be cleaning maggots off.

I'm curious, are you putting in for the same areas each year? Did you have a lot of points built up last year. I keep building points and putting in for the Breaks....so far....nada! Take care and be safe out there.

I got a new batch of Tag Bags and that new material was a little disappointing to me.

They are 2x the size now in the main bag. I was actually thinking about chopping a few inches off the bottom of the bags and having the wife sew them back shut. As is now, I think even the Caribou bags are plenty big for any boned out animal in NA except moose.

They are definatly bulkier, and weigh a tad more, but I think the trade off is worth it? We tore 3 of 12 bags last year moving meat around. With the new bags I didn't tear anything this year, course I was being a little more carefull about it too. I would imagine on a float hunt when you move meat a lot, it would be great to have the heavier bags.

The don't dry nearly as quick, but I think they're still the best thing out there and way better than cotton.

A moose quarter (boned) fits in the caribou bags quite easily. A hind quarter is tough to get in, but it will go.

I'm sure an elk quarter would fit in a caribou bag, bone in.

I'm curious, are you putting in for the same areas each year? Did you have a lot of points built up last year. I keep building points and putting in for the Breaks....so far....nada! Take care and be safe out there.

Nope, I put in for different units every year. I drew the unit last year with 4 points. This year, I lucked out and drew with no points.

I had the Breaks in 2004. All are good hunts. Hope you get one of those limited entry tags soon. The Breaks is a great rifle hunt, but given how hard it is to draw, relative to the quality, I now apply in other units that probably have similar quality, just fewer elk and harder access issues to solve.

Randy, Assuming you guys will out this way, if you need anything or have problems feel free to drop in or call. Not sure exactly where we will be hunting this weekend since I have a cow tag for north of here, but I am leaning towards being around town. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Ah ha....you've broken the code. That's sage advice. Thanks man and good luck. Any hunt is a good one for sure.

Me thinks you'll have your elk the first day.

That's what Lawnboy says, also, but I think he just wants to hurry and get home.

My fear is that we get there and after all this planning, nothing is there, other than three disappointed hunters who are watching the elk feed on the wrong side of the fence. If nothing else, it will make for a good story.

I am thinking the first 5X5 or better is going to hit the deck. Might hold out for a 6X6 the first morning, but after that, anything with a branched antler might bite the dirt. :eek:

The downside that we found on our Alaska hunt was that the Alaska bags still allowed the flys to lay eggs through the mesh. My brother prefers the heavier cotton? I guess is what they are bags. They might not breath as well but at least you aren't going to be cleaning maggots off.

If I told my wife that was the reason to buy the more expensive ones I am sure she would say "Buy two just in case!" John;)

I am thinking the first 5X5 or better is going to hit the deck. Might hold out for a 6X6 the first morning, but after that, anything with a branched antler might bite the dirt. :eek:

I've heard that before...

Will you have the green light to shoot a deer on this trip or are you saving that tag for another episode?

Fin's got an itchier trigger finger than me so I'm going to have to make sure he holds out. He says he wants a big one and I hope we find one but I'd be nervous if I was a 5 pointer on day 2 :D

Sweetnectar I hope your right. I really hope we catch them bugling again this year. They should be if we can find some. I'm going for a slick head so bugling isn't going to help me. I just hope we have enough food. Fin's got us on some rationed diet and I'm afraid I'm going to be digging up tubors and roots just to survive:eek: Might turn into the Donner party if we aren't careful. Good luck to the rest of you guys and gals.

I've heard that before...

Will you have the green light to shoot a deer on this trip or are you saving that tag for another episode?

I am shooting the first spike whitey I see. They are damned good eating, so I am going to fill a tag with the first buck I get a crack at.

Not filming any Montana deer episodes this year. Got too much flack for supposedly telling the TV world about the only good deer spots in Montana, so figured I would give that a rest this year.

This is mostly an elk trip. Not sure we will have room to carry out two elk and three deer, so we might have to hold off on the deer, unless it is something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back