Montana on the Upswing?

Not sure how it translates to deer, but in domesticated ruminants they’ll start to display this when the body condition score hits a 3 or lower.

I’d guess it’s similar.
Hunting Husband’s grad work showed the same for bison. I’m not aware of any papers looking at cessation of estrus in deer specifically, but it is well documented in other species so I don’t think that’s a big leap.

We do know maternal condition has a big effect on fawn survival. I think overall the outlook for production next year seems pretty dismal.

My friends place up on the hi line where I hunt pheasants only has half the deer it usually has. That's mule deer. I only saw two white tails and usually see a hundred or so.

Hunting Husband’s grad work showed the same for bison. I’m not aware of any papers looking at cessation of estrus in deer specifically, but it is well documented in other species so I don’t think that’s a big leap.

We do know maternal condition has a big effect on fawn survival. I think overall the outlook for production next year seems pretty dismal.
We run a small herd of cattle and saw an increase in open cows this fall and we aren't in as bad a shape range wise as many in the state. I have heard 40% open cows on some ranches further east so I would suspect this will occur in deer as well.

Also I would expect buck quality to be even poorer in years to come because of the correlation to doe condition in utero and offspring health/size.

Finding a whitetail doe on public was a helluva lot harder this year than any year I've been back there. Where they used to be on every bma they were far and few in-between, you didn't want to blow a stalk, it might be the only one all day.

I think deer numbers vary greatly around the state. Certainly down in many spots, but also up in others. I know spots where I can view 60 deer a day. With that said, hunting pressure is definitely impacting age class, even in areas with a lot of deer.

Finding a whitetail doe on public was a helluva lot harder this year than any year I've been back there. Where they used to be on every bma they were far and few in-between, you didn't want to blow a stalk, it might be the only one all day.
But they were still getting shot being so few of numbers

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, in our case they were mostly being missed not shot. Then we moved on to greener pastures where they were more plentiful.

It’s all fine, nothing to see here just move along.

familyFishingWatersRegionMap-700x414.jpg

MILES CITY – The Hysham check station was busy on an extremely gusty Sunday Nov. 14 following the third week of the general season.
“Overall, hunters seemed content with their hunts, and I was impressed with the quality of deer that were taken,” said FWP Region 7 wildlife biologist Steve Atwood.
Crews saw more hunters than usual, with 172 sportsmen and women coming through in 94 parties. The 10-year average is 139 hunters and 67 parties. Hunter success was average at 56 percent, Atwood said.
FWP staff checked 62 mule deer – 56 bucks and 16 does – compared to the 10-year average of 47 animals.
Twenty-nine whitetails came through, with 25 bucks and four does. The 10-year average is 19 deer.

Last edited:
5 days in Central montana and I only saw 1 mule deer buck that might have been 150". Actually made my WA bucks seem pretty big... (they're not).

Last year in a not great area of central MT I saw more deer in six days of hunting on public land and BMAs than I have seen 4 years of hunting public land deer in north Idaho. Also more than I would typically see on private land in NE MN where I grew up hunting. Part of it is definitely terrain/vegetation differences. And overall I am a shitty deer hunter. But even a "crappy" year year in central MT seems pretty darn good to a lot of non residents from the Midwest or some other western states.

I did not shoot anything in MT last year, not overly selective (hell I've never shot a buck >2.5 yrs old) but it was a fun hunt I didn't want to end. Going on a many year streak of not shooting a deer and definitely tempted to go to MT and shoot a dink to break that drought but I plan to hold off.

Last year in a not great area of central MT I saw more deer in six days of hunting on public land and BMAs than I have seen 4 years of hunting public land deer in north Idaho. Also more than I would typically see on private land in NE MN where I grew up hunting. Part of it is definitely terrain/vegetation differences. And overall I am a shitty deer hunter. But even a "crappy" year year in central MT seems pretty darn good to a lot of non residents from the Midwest or some other western states.

I did not shoot anything in MT last year, not overly selective (hell I've never shot a buck >2.5 yrs old) but it was a fun hunt I didn't want to end. Going on a many year streak of not shooting a deer and definitely tempted to go to MT and shoot a dink to break that drought but I plan to hold off.

Grab your 6 doe tags too. Seriously I think that’s my plan next year. Let’s get us to the bottom as quick as we can so we can start going up

There is enough private land we will never see rock bottom. I don’t see a path forward to change anything. That being said I’m for trying to burn it down. Lot of money left on the table from nonresidents why put a limit on that. Tags for everyone! Maybe even multiple buck tags, we haven’t slowed cwd with current management we need to get more aggressive.

There is enough private land we will never see rock bottom. I don’t see a path forward to change anything. That being said I’m for trying to burn it down. Lot of money left on the table from nonresidents why put a limit on that. Tags for everyone! Maybe even multiple buck tags, we haven’t slowed cwd with current management we need to get more aggressive.
Did someone say 6 month long shoulder season for mule deer? I like it.

Grab your 6 doe tags too. Seriously I think that’s my plan next year. Let’s get us to the bottom as quick as we can so we can start going up

When I stop at a check station with 6 does stacked up FWP is going to think the population is too high. And if don't fill them the following year they'll say I did not put in enough effort. I think I would rather pay for the tags and stay home. Too bad there is no hunter reports so I can say I spent 15 days out hunting and no doe tags filled.

We are wintering northeast of Ronan and lots of whitetails every day.
Looking out our window, we typically see 15-30 whitetails out in the pasture.
Off course only Tribal members can hunt them here.

Almost hit a big muley buck yesterday morning west of here standing in the middle of the road predawn.
There were 2 whitetails killed by vehicles yesterday morning within a mile of the house.

When I stop at a check station with 6 does stacked up FWP is going to think the population is too high. And if don't fill them the following year they'll say I did not put in enough effort. I think I would rather pay for the tags and stay home. Too bad there is no hunter reports so I can say I spent 15 days out hunting and no doe tags filled.
Who knows you might be one of the lucky ones cold called in the next 6-8 months after they’ve already decided how many doe tags they are going to issue

Just turn the entire state into subsistence hunting and don’t look back! Your welcome

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back