Montana mountain goat (pic heavy)

wow miller great pics congrats on the goat !! DIY, solo, public land, doesn't get any better than that !! WAY TO GO!!

Great job Miller!!! I was just wondering....do you ever get concerned going into the wilderness alone?? I have always hunted with a partner. Maybe I am just a pussy, but that looked like some rough country. After my injury this fall, I was even more grateful that I had a buddy with me. Otherwise, I might still be on that mountain. I know a lot of people on here hunt solo, I was just curious what precautions you all take?

Thanks everyone. Though pretty sore, I still have a smile on my face. I have been truely blessed with drawing goat tags in MT (applied twice, drew twice). Pretty sure I will never draw another one in MT and if I do I had better try something other than solo...at least in this unit.

Good luck to everyone on a successful season. Lots of hunting still needs to be done....and I want lots of pics from your time in the field.

woohoo! Nice billy Craig! That guy is in prime condition.

What is his age?

How far of a pack?

Tyson, billy was only 4.5 and length is 9" even. From where I parked the pick-up to where I killed this goat was well over a dozen miles. Pick-up was at 5,600' and I killed the goat at 10,086'

Great job Miller!!! I was just wondering....do you ever get concerned going into the wilderness alone?? I have always hunted with a partner. Maybe I am just a pussy, but that looked like some rough country. After my injury this fall, I was even more grateful that I had a buddy with me. Otherwise, I might still be on that mountain. I know a lot of people on here hunt solo, I was just curious what precautions you all take?

Do I get concerned? Sure. I turned 40 this year, so I am not exactly a spring chicken anymore. I guess I am a bit strange, but I really enjoy hunting alone. That being said, pointer was scheduled to join me, but some things came up and he was not able to participate. No worries, he was on my mind (and under my breath) while I was dragging ass off the mountain.:D I loved the goat hunt, but not sure I would volunteer to go back in there just help pack out a critter.:eek:

I don't have a cell phone, but did pick up a track phone specifically for this hunt. Although I was quite a ways back in there, I could climb to the top of the mountain and contact family (I did check in twice while in there). I did tell them that if I didn't make contact by next Tuesday they needed to call Emergency Responce and give them the lat/long I had provided.

Smart? Probably not, but a guy has got to live once-in-a-while.:D I also don't have any kids at home and am too ugly anymore to have a wife. I am sure Axl would miss me, but I know a few folks that would adopt him if I didn't make it back.:D

All kidding aside, accidents can and do happen. I tried to never be in a hurry and not take any major risks.

Awesome man, big time congrats. He looks like he had a monster body on him.

Thanks for the story and pics. Looked like a great hunt and the goat is perfect. Congratulations.

That being said, pointer was scheduled to join me, but some things came up and he was not able to participate. No worries, he was on my mind (and under my breath) while I was dragging ass off the mountain.
Sorry about that... However, as you know my time wasn't wasted... ;) Congrats on a good looking billy, that hair is amazing and the stuff on the goat isn't too shaby either! Next time...

PS- As usual, great looking pics!

Miller

Beauty of a goat. Did you cape him out for a shoulder or lifesize? Congrats guy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back